1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why go to seminary these days?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have not denied any words of scripture. You are simply reading into this text more than what is there.

I will grant you that this text not not deny free will as clearly as others, neither does it confirm it.

One principle of Bible study that I learned from R.C. Sproul is to interpret the obscure by the clear. There are many passages that are compatible with a free will view point.
    John 3:16 for instance does not state one way or another. It tells us that all those believing will have eternal life. It does not tell us who has the ability to believe.

Go to places like John 6, Romans 8 and 9 are more precise as to the nature of election.

For instance, John 6 clearly states that no one can come to Christ unless the Father draws him. That clearly denies free will.
    Now, this is not to say that men do not make choices, rather they make choices in harmony with their own wills. Man's will is sinful and will not seek after God. Yet, when the Father draws, that man will, with certainty come.