1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I am KJV Only (Page 21)

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by skanwmatos, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yep, That good, Bro., how you been? I've been seeing you around, but usually long after you made a post. My wife did argue with me some this morning (of course, it was my fault, as usual) but, now I have to get out it out of my system, and get it onto the BBs "system". [​IMG]

Have a good day.

By the way, I do know exactly how Skan feels, I wrote a LOOONGG post the other day complete with many scripture references; stupid internet dropped out as I hit "apply reply" and it "applied" it alright, right down the pipes. Lost everything, so I settled for a shortened version. (Hey, I think I've got it now.) It works that way so we don't put these stupid long posts on the board. Maybe they are smarter than we know. (But, I still like conspiracy theories.) ;)

2. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I am going to try this one more time. If the material does not post or is deleted I will wash my hands of this entire forum, shake the dust off my feet, and consider the forum to be anathema.
    Askjo, I know you can't read Hebrew, that is very clear from what you have posted. I also know that you lack good research materials and seem to rely solely on Strong's Concordance and Lexicon, which is universally understood to be one of the worst ever published. Strong leaves out words, contains many, many errors, and is guilty of the worst examples of the root fallacy.

Take your Strong's Concordance and drop it in the nearest waste basket, then go online and buy "The Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" revised and corrected by John Kohlenberger and James Swanson. (You can buy it right here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0310259088/qid=1082136565/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0018081-0656958?v=glance&s=books for $13.98. It will be the best money you ever spent.)

Then, using that Stronger Strong's look up the word "help" and you will see Strong's number 5828 for the passage in Genesis 2:18. The Hebrew word is "ezer" and means "help" or "helper."

Now look up the word "meet." Your old Strong's will say "5828" but that is WRONG. It is one of the errors in Strong's Concordance. Look the word "meet" up in the Stronger Strong's and you will see, for Genesis 2:18 the Strong's number 5048 + 3509.1. That is the Hebrew word combination which is translated "meet for" in the KJV.

Now go to 5048. It is the Hebrew word "neged" - but there are several additional numbers added which affect the meaning of the word. Look down to +3509.1 and you will see the reading of Genesis 2:18 "meet for."

Now go to 3509.1 in your new Stronger Strong's and you will see that the word is "ke" and is a "marker of comparison." It causes the word it is attached to to carry the additional meaning of "similarity" or "correspondence."

In Genesis 2 Adam was alone. He looked at all the animals and could not find one "meet for" him. That is, he could not find one "like him" or "comparable to him." All the animals were very different from Adam. They were not like him at all. So God made Eve, suitable for Adam and like him, comparable to him, and perfect for him.
    All of them. Every Hebrew mss contains the "ke" marker. B19a. The Aleppo Codex. And even the most recent finds from the Dead Sea Scrolls, 4QGen/g, 4QGen/b, and 4QGen/h2.

All Hebrew texts contain the "ke" marker. Bomberg. Kittle (all three editions). Stuttgartensia. All of them.

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

I don't think it is a conspiracy unless being stupid constitutes a conspiracy. :mad:

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the "strong" reply, skan. Sometimes a "little learning" is dangerous, like a gun in the hand of a child.

Think we ALL learned something in our Hebrew lesson today!

(BTW, the online strongs built into quick verse has the correct Hebrew word here)

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Is there a copy of the AV1611 online for download? I have an actual book I bought on the internet "long ago" before people realized they were worth something, and I also have photocopies of each page, but I do not have a searchable copy that I can clip and paste.

Is one made for either Online Bible, E-Sword or just plain text? I would rather have one that is NOT "online" that I can reference any time.

Surely, this is in the public domain by now. When did King Jame's Authorized printing run out? [​IMG]

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Did everybody leave. HEY, HEY, ANYBODY HERE!!!! Anybody KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A 1611????

All I hear is an echo in here.

Hmmm, I think I've figured it out. When I come around, everybody scatters, maybe I should be taking note. :eek:

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah,
    I'm here reading. I just don't know the answer. I have a hardcopy AV1611 only. [​IMG]

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I need to find a hardcopy too. Mine is too old and TOOOO delicate to read. I keep it locked away. It is missing large parts though, so it probably isn't worth much. I do have a German Bible printed in 1739. It is a large book and I think it is a Martin Luther Bible. It has "D. Martin Luthers, written under the "Old and New Testaments" (in German). It does appear to have the apocrypha.

It has many woodcut pictures in it. Someone draw a clipper ship with a pencil inside the front cover (no telling when). I bought it on the internet too for about $40.00. You can't touch these any more for that. It is all intact except the metal hasps are missing.

I think this is the printer:
    "Lubingen,
    Berlegts Johann Georg Gotta" (I am not sure about a couple of the capital letters especially "G"otta. Followed by 1739. If anybody knows anything about this Bible (hint hint Skan) you might let me know what I have here.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible? I checked it through the Internet and found a quotation:
    Why is this book not recommend?

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is this book not recommend? </font>[/QUOTE]By who, where, and what are the persons credentials? I can find quotes for many thing on the Internet, but that doesn't mean they are reliable.

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Click here: Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
    Scroll down and find there.

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No real name or anything about person, so I still don't know anything of the reliability of said quote. Hence, I can't trust it.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

TC,
    Skan was the person who said that the Strongest Strongs is a good replacement for the older Strong's which he recommended should be thrown in the trash can.

Disclaimer: I am simply telling you where the recommendation for the Strongest Strongs originated on this BBS.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

IF that was your question.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that, but I'm referring to the quote Askjo
    put at the bottom of page 2. That person is the one I can't trust.

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, gotcha, sorry 'bout that. That's what I get for reading and playing BBS at the same time.

I agree with you, I wouldn't trust it either.

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Because of Isaiah 66:5 (KJV)

18. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Why is this book not recommend? </font>[/QUOTE]Why is it not recommend by only one person? Simple. He looked up a word and found what he thinks is the wrong Hebrew word.

Why does he think it is the wrong Hebrew word? Simple. The Stronger Strong's, like its predecessor, follows the Hebrew text of Bomberg (ben Chayyim, the one which is behind the KJV). If a person is reading the NIV, and using the text behind the NIV (ben Asher), when he looks up the word he will find the "wrong" Hebrew word, the word behind the KJV instead of the word behind the NIV! Some people claim that makes the concordance "wrong." There are 8 such places where the ben Asher text differs from the ben Chayyim text and this "reviewer" will probably say all 8 of those places are "wrong" because they follow the reading of the KJV instead of the reading of the NIV.

It is funny that Askjo, a KJVO, is saying he will reject Stronger Strong's on the basis of ONE (count 'em, only ONE) negative review, and that from an NIV totin' liberal! Askjo is now taking the advice of an NIV totin' liberal about which Hebrew text is "right" and which is "wrong." Does this mean that Askjo has now abandoned his KJV and has joined the ranks of the NIV totin' liberals?

If Askjo will reject the Stronger Strong's on the basis of a charge of ONE error (and that by an NIV totin' liberal) does that mean he will reject the Old Strong's even more for the 100s of documented errors, such as the one in Genesis 2:18 where the Old Strong's misidentifies the Hebrew word behind "meet" as being ezer (5826) even though we all know it is really the words neged (5048) and ke (3509.1)?

Seriously, Askjo, as you have not posted anything more regarding the Hebrew reading I posted, can I assume you capitulate and now know that all Hebrew manuscripts and texts read "ke + neged" for "meet" and that it means "meet," "the same as" or "comparable to" just as the NKJV and the KJV say?

See what happens when you listen a little instead of just assuming you and your badly flawed concordance/lexicon are right? Now you know something all your KJVO friends don't know. You will be much sought after for your wisdom and understanding because you now have a better understanding of what the bible (KJV) says. [​IMG]

19. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Well, Askjo, cat got your tongue?

20. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

From Adam Clarke's excellent commentary.
    For those of you not familar with Adam Clarke, he was one of the greatest scholars of his age (1760-1832). He was fluent in at least twenty languages and among his publications were the revised edition of Rymer's Foedera of the Public Records, and his famous Commentary on the Bible which is still in print.