1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why I Give a Public Invitation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is the alter? Christians will come to the change?:laugh:

Seriously,what is the altar,in your view?

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't even refer to it as an altar in our church because an altar is for sacrifices and Jesus has already offered the sacrifice.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN to that!

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

One problem, I am not Arminian.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a problem...that you cannot recognize your soteriology.

6. PeterM

PeterM Member

Who said anything about replacing the gospel? The gospel is timeless and will always be confrontational in its presentation, but with that said an invitation requiring a person come down an aisle at the end of a sermon or service is yet another tradition that some now view as necessary which is incredibly silly considering that most who come to a saving faith in Jesus DON'T do so in a formal worship gathering.

I would argue that the biblical manner in which a person responds to the gospel is in a public baptism. I am NOT against invitations/response times, I do them as well from time to time. I just don't do them every Sunday and don't believe they should be a litmus test in any regard.

This isn't 1950 anymore nor should every single worship gathering be an evangelistic crusade. That "Old Time Religion" has created more dysfunction, at least in the places I have served, as people who claim to be "saved" are clinging to a date when they prayed a prayer "inviting Jesus into their heart" that some evangelist wrote in their Bible, or baptism, or anything other than the Gospel.

AFTR, I have "sat under" Junior Hill on several occasions... I've heard all 5 of his sermons... and while I consider him to be a faithful man of God, I also believe the effectiveness of "revivals" and "tent meetings" to be methodologically outdated and inefficient.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A childish statement. And false to boot.

The gospel is never any of those things.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is a sincere question, but am curious. Would you rather have an ending to a worship service like many mainline denominations, that is, the sermon ends, a small choral response, a dismissal prayer, and everyone quietly leaves? Or, do you prefer a low keyed invitation to talk to the pastor, or other leader at the end of the service about salvation, membership, or some other issue?

The reason the invitation becomes a mockery is because the pastor uses it like a sales gimmick to attract people to the front of the church. This of course results in false salvation experiences. It is obvious the location within the church is meaningless, but handled correctly, I do think the opportunity to speak with a church leader is better than just leaving.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are labels you cals use for the most part. They are used by those who cannot function outside of a systematized and labeled set of doctrines. Scripture does none of that. You need to ask yourself why does scripture do none of that? And since scripture refuses to do that how is it that you feel justified in imposing those man made systems and labels on others.

Robert is right you are wrong.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If I and the church I attend are happy with it, you really shouldn't let it concern you.

If you were nearly as effective at living you own Christian life as you are in pointing out your perceived errors in other people's Christian's lives, everyone involved would be much better off.

11. PeterM

PeterM Member

Actually, no... my comment wasn't childish or sarcastic. I've heard Junior in several contexts over the course of a 10 year period here in the Mid-South (2003-2013) and I've heard 5 distinct messages repeated, all laced with the same illustrations. I'm not knocking Hill in those things, most evangelists don't write as many messages as the typical pastor... just the difference between pastoral preaching and the work of an evangelist. Do you know Junior? How often have you heard him preach? Or are you just a fan?

I never equated the gospel to revivals or tent meetings... do you?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never enter an IFB or an SBC church anyway. There mostly Arminian (or blended / bastardized services) so I know they make common practice of it (open alter) & from my prospective, it is a show & a waste of time.

Ive a strong philosophy about it though, "you go to your church & I will go to mine"

13. PeterM

PeterM Member

And the labels you seem to using... right and wrong. Pots and kettles.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you should rethink what you just said.

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

With your attitude, it is good you don't go to my church. It would only be a matter of time before you were shown the door. We don't allow people to attend who do nothing but stir up controversy.

I went one time to a Primitive Baptist church. Since I don't agree with much of what they say, I didn't nor would I go back.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was very childish, it was intended to demean him and it is incorrect. You have no idea how many sermons he has preached over the years. I personally own far more than five of his sermons and have heard him personally preach far more than five. And yes I know Junior. You are being childish.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And trust me, those good folks have no use for you either & you would be shown the door..... but knowing all that, we are both in the place we need to be in. Matter settled.:D

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

.....Amen!

19. PeterM

PeterM Member

We started with childish and now we've moved to demeaning... and I'm incorrect.

If I meant to demean him, I would have. There is plenty I've witnessed in "meetings" he has led that I categorically disagree with, but not to a point where I would demean the man. He's my brother in Christ. For you to say otherwise is beneath you.

All I can give account to is what I've heard and witnessed in "revival" services in churches here in the Memphis area over a 10 year stretch, including those given at MABTS. If you've heard more diversity, good for you. If you're buying them... well then I guess you are a fan. Nothing wrong with that right?

Anything else?