1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I left Calvinism after 10 years...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Dec 21, 2009.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I will also add that at this time in my life and study that I am not convinced that being born again guarantees that your of the Elect of God.

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons. :)

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. David Michael Harris

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it shows your ignorance. Keep studying, but more than anything pray for the right answers.

5. David Michael Harris

This is the crux is it not.

Explain the sow that is washed that goes back to the muck.

The dog back to its vomit.

Wandering stars.

Twice dead.

Till these things are explained to me I will never say once saved always saved.

Also the man in the iron cage in Bunyans Pilgrims Progress.

Who said I was not ignorant?

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Earlier in the thread, annsi addressed the issue of the quote above. She was dead on target, and every other issue cropping up in this thread are side issues.

It appears that Skandelon was either a type of hyper-calvinist that believed in active reprobation, or he didn't understand his teachers, or he got bad information. In any case, it continues to be the case that arminians, pelagians, and the other variations of non-calvinists, even those that "used to be calvinists", cannot seem to accurately represent the tenants of Calvinism.

Indeed, Calvin, nor the Council of Dort, nor any other substantial body of Calvinism that I know of ever said or implied that God REMOVED anyone's capacity to respond to the Gospel. The correct doctrine is that Adam FORFEITED that capacity and we inherited his forfeiture. In contrast, God mercifully quickens some of the lost world of man, enabling him to respond to the call of the Shepherd.

It is also important to understand HOW God hardens a heart. He simply leaves it to its own desires. This is consistent with the Moses/Pharaoh scenario. God told Moses well ahead of time that He, God, would harden Pharaoh’s heart. But then we read in certain places that "Pharaoh hardened his heart", leaving us with the impression that God had nothing to do with that particular instance of hardening. However, when we recognize the fact that when Pharaoh hardens his heart, God is allowing him to harden his heart in accordance with its desires, and so God is said to have hardened Pharaoh's heart. It's not Pharaoh and God taking turns hardening Pharaoh's heart, but it is God and Pharaoh working in concert, in harmony, simultaneously, in hardening Pharaoh's heart, so that it can be consistently said that God hardened Pharaoh's heart, and yet Pharaoh hardened his own heart.

From the Westminster and 1689 Confession (no, it's not scripture, but scripture proofs are availabe, and it represents the true Calvinistic teaching):

I. Our first parents, being seduced by the subtilty and temptations of Satan, sinned, in eating the forbidden fruit.[1] This their sin, God was pleased, according to His wise and holy counsel, to permit, having purposed to order it to His own glory.[2]
    II. By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion, with God,[3] and so became dead in sin,[4] and wholly defiled in all the parts and faculties of soul and body.[5]
    III. They being the root of all mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed;[6] and the same death in sin, and corrupted nature, conveyed to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation.[7]
    IV. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good,[8] and wholly inclined to all evil,[9] do proceed all actual transgressions.[10]

VI. As for those wicked and ungodly men whom God, as a righteous Judge, for former sins, does blind and harden,[21] from them He not only withholds His grace whereby they might have been enlightened in their understandings, and wrought upon in their hearts;[22] but sometimes also withdraws the gifts which they had,[23] and exposes them to such objects as their corruption makes occasion of sin;[24] and, withal, gives them over to their own lusts, the temptations of the world, and the power of Satan,[25] whereby it comes to pass that they harden themselves, even under those means which God uses for the softening of others.[26]

. God has endued the will of man with that natural liberty, that is neither forced, nor, by any absolute necessity of nature, determined good, or evil.[1]
    II. Man, in his state of innocency, had freedom, and power to will and to do that which was good and well pleasing to God;[2] but yet, mutably, so that he might fall from it.[3]
    III. Man, by his fall into a state of sin, has wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation:[4] so as, a natural man, being altogether averse from that good,[5] and dead in sin,[6] is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto.[7]
    IV. When God converts a sinner, and translates him into the state of grace, He frees him from his natural bondage under sin;[8] and, by His grace alone, enables him freely to will and to do that which is spiritually good;[9] yet so, as that by reason of his remaining corruption, he does not perfectly, or only, will that which is good, but does also will that which is evil.[10]
    V. The will of man is made perfectly and immutably free to do good alone in the state of glory only.[11]

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dogs eat their own vomit because that's what dogs do (and I've had the misfortune of actually witnessing this type of event). A sow goes back to the mud because she is a pig.
    But according to Jesus, what does his sheep do? 1) They hear his voice; 2) they follow him; 3) they will not follow a stranger.

A religious man that ultimately rejects the voice of God is twice dead, being dead in both the first state and in the second. I don't know who the man in the iron cage is, but I garauntee you that Bunyan had no problem with once saved always saved.

8. David Michael Harris

Still does not answer the question that being born again guarantees salvation though does it.

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

And I addressed her post, did you read that? Since you didn't address my rebuttal I'll assume that you did not.

Who, if not God, determined that the Fall in the garden would result in mankind's inability to respond to the call of the Shepherd? Was that the one thing He hasn't sovereignly determined in your system, JD? Since, I obviously don't understand the complexities of Calvinism's dogma, please explain how man lost their ability so as to need to be "enabled" if not for God's determination of such? I'm interested...

If you read my first post you will see that I don't totally disagree with this. I would add, however, that God does actively intervene to blind or "send a spirit of stupor" in order to keep people from seeing the truth and repenting. In the case of Pharaoh, you are correct, God simply allows Pharaoh to do what he already wants to do...keep his slaves. However, the plagues are pretty darn convincing. So, in order to keep Pharaoh from letting the Israelites go too soon God had to blind him/harden him. How? Magicians performing similar tricks...a "spirit of stupor"....pride and flattery...and whatever means necessary. Why? To make God's glory known throughout the world and to get to the Passover. Pharaoh didn't have to be made to desire to keep the Israelites in slavery. He already wanted that. But, a river turning to blood probably would have convinced him to let them go if not for the active Judicial blinding of God. This is a perfect foreshadowing of the Judicial hardening of the Jews during the Passover of the NT. Jews, like Pharaoh, were sent a spirit of stupor and blinded from the clear obvious truth that the messiah was Jesus. Why? They wouldn't have killed him otherwise. God hardened them in order to bring redemption. He has bound all men over to disobedience (i.e. hardened them all) in order to show them all mercy.

#129 Skandelon, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009