1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I love the King James

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Luke2427, Feb 3, 2012.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.26If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?

There seems to be a great dividing line drawn in the sand by KJVO persons. Based on what Christ said, division of this nature -- especially concerning the Word of God -- is likely not of Christ, but rather of His enemy.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Did you have time to watch the video I linked in the OP?

It is great!

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't think that it is a consensus among scholars to say that the scholarship of the KJV was faulty.

I freely confess that it lacks the advantages we have today, but the scholarship poured into this translation was excellent.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thanks for your comments and thanks for watching the video. It was very funny to me.

I disagree that both the video and the KJV with the expanded vocabularly employed by each did not amount to more eloquence and power.

NEVER have I enjoyed the story of the three little pigs as much!

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I must say that I whole heartedly agree with this.

We are not actually talking about a different language when we refer to the language of the KJV.

We are referring to our OWN language at it's peak.

And I am not for forcing people who don't understand the archaic language to read the KJV. I pray that they will use one of the many very good modern versions we have.

I just think we should agree that the King James was written when our own language was at it's best and that the King James has a beautiful rhythm and eloquence about it that is hard to beat.

It may simply be that I am an old soul (though a young man).

I cannot think of anything I love more than listening to an articulate man endowed with good lungs and a rich booming baritone voice read from a lofty pulpit in an old, grand church the King James Bible.

We don't have to argue that the King James is or is not superior in scholarship to a number of the good modern versions today. I do not argue that.

We don't have to argue that the TR is superior to modern texts. I do NOT believe that.

I think we don't have to argue at all. We, I think, should be able to agree that the language of the Elizabethan period was lovely and poetic and powerfully descriptive and that the translators of the King James sought to and succeeded at giving the world a wonderful, beautiful, powerful version of the Scriptures that can be loved by all Christians and perhaps SHOULD be appreciated by all Christians for what it has meant to Western Christianity for centuries.

I think we should all agree on these things.

I think perhaps in our disdain for the, I think heretical, KJVO doctrine we might be a bit knee jerk in our quickness to discount all good things that the KJV has to its credit.

#65 Luke2427, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Turn off the TV and other distractions.

Put a CD in a good player and listen to Alexander Scourby read the KJV. Turn up the volume so his voice will fill the room. That's about as close as I can get to what you described, Luke.

I usually read along with him, but sometimes just sit, close my eyes, and listen to the power in the words of the KJV. Something, IMHO, that is somehow lost, when a Bible reads like a newspaper. So far, have listened to the NT and will soon be to Psalms and Proverbs. I'm especially looking forward to hearing Alexander read those.

FWIW, I also think you're right about the "knee-jerk" reaction, especially to the extreme KJVO crowd. I've read some well thought out and presented viewpoints from some who take that position. And, often agree with them. OTOH, I've been disgusted with those who have to resort making vile comments about other versions and/or people who support them.

IMHO, they are destroying what they claim they are trying to support. Same thing on the other side of the issue, BTW.

Picture this:
    (Not only for the KJVO controversy, BTW.)

A person climbs on their personal soap box to express their opinion. The person is a professing Christian, a witness to their salvation by Jesus Christ.

Seated in the first row, in front of their soapbox is Jesus Christ, Himself, after He arose, before He assended.

How many would say, in front of Him, the same things they say to others today? Especially when their words are conveyed by a keyboard.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Not yet. I'll try to get to it.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

One thing I've been noticing about debates on the KJVO issue is the intentional fallacy that dictates that the KJV is THE standard by which all other translation efforts is judged. Who determined that and by what criteria?

And, if so, then why the updates of an "already perfect" translation?

While a good -- perhaps even great -- translation, it is not the only, not the most accurate, and not even the most understandable.

As far as the language being "our" language, it is not -- not in precise terms. Language changes over time and to select one snapshot out of the lifespan of any given language and then say that THAT moment in time was the culmination of the language is to ignore the facts that language is fluid and that usage changes with context and with time.

If we use the former proposition as the basis for deciding about the veracity of any given language, then we must also take God to task for causing the original NT to be written in Koine Greek instead of Classical Greek. Shame on Him for using the gutteral language of the marketplace -- akin to 21st century American English as compared to 1611 King's Court English -- for He failed to capitalize on the culmination of the Greek.

The entire proposition just does not make because at its heart it is an a priori presupposition in favor of ONE particular cultural expression instead of a general principle that regards usage and culture at any given moment -- and with that, the fact that God intends for His Word to go to ALL the people of the world IN THEIR LANGUAGE AT THEIR TIME.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV and the US Constitution

Just thought of something - the KJV is 400 years old. The US Constitution is a bit over 200 years old. We know that there is some archaic language in the KJV, but is there any archaic words in the Constitution.....

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

You misunderstood me!

was referencing as faulty the scholarship used to 'support' that the KJVO is correct!

KJV itself best of its time, just that times hvae changed!

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Just for the record, and you might already know this, that's NOT what I am saying.

I agree that language is fluid. I am simply saying something that I think is abundantly clear to all of us- it was most substantial, poetic, and descriptive during the centuries surrounding the writing of the King James.

What have we today that compares to Shakespeare? And the language that followed that era for the next few hundred years- what have we that compares to it today?

Even as late as Spurgeon and his masterful sermons- what have we that compares?

This does not mean by ANY means that this is the only version to use or that it ought to be the primary version of most folks. I do not believe this to be the case at all.

We could also take this line of reasoning to say the preferred meeting place for worship ought to be houses and catacombs since that is largely where churches met in the first century.

As the church grew and conquered more and more territory with the Gospel of Christ she was blessed to be able to be more affluent and erudite.

So she built grand Cathedrals and she began to translate the Scripture in more beautiful language.

Israel worshiped in a big tent until she grew more powerful and affluent. Then she worshiped in a temple whose majesty was one of the wonders of the world.

Evolving toward greater beauty is a good thing- so long as we don't lose our ability to connect to the common man.

The King James, in it's day, was able to do this. Because language has, in my opinion, backslid since that day, the King James is less able to do this today. But it is not incompetent to do this.

In formal settings- which I think could certainly include Sunday morning worship- I think the King James is not only still very relevant- but pretty hard to beat.

The problem with making this argument is that there are these KJVO folks who have so tainted any crediting of the King James that those of us who love it for sound reasons find it hard to argue for it.

#71 Luke2427, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

problem is that it seems majority of the KJVO hold that those of us not think that means we view the KJV as bad version!

It was the gtreatest english version of all time, but there are modern ones better suited to our times!

13. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know that statement makes absolutely no sense, don't you? :laugh:

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I get what he's trying to say.

Of all the English versions which have ever been created, the King James is the best but it is not well suited for this modern day.

It would be like me saying, "Of all the kings who ever reigned, Charlemagne was the greatest- but his style would not be best suited for our modern culture. There are other Kings who would reign in this particular age better than the greatest king of all time."

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

exactly!

best english version as in most important one ever made, yet a product of its times...

IF English had stayed the same in word meanings, would still be the best, but it has not, so modern versions better suited to convey the message of God to us for today!

16. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew what you meant, was just teasing you.:thumbs:

17. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

verily, thou has speaketh the truth!

18. gbaty

gbaty New Member

Kjv

I love to use the kjv. I have much more confidence in its scholarship than that of many modern versions. In many ways textual criticism was less liberal the than it is today.

The kjv contains many passages that are today woefully considered to be spurious by liberal scholars, the trinitarianbiblesociety.org is helpful when it come to issues of this nature. The TBS was formed when much liberalism was entering the church such as the denial of the trinity.

I have a 1999 Geneva Bible that has been updated to modern spellings and I find the footnotes very helpful. It has been a lost treasure for some time for most of us. Most of the kjv was based on the Geneva bible. It took a while for the kjv to be accepted but it has certainly stood the test of time. It doesn't take long to understand the language, especially when you hear it read. It is a wonderful book.

http://onedailyhope.blogspot.com

#78 gbaty, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the BB Gbaty.

You are dead-wrong. Most conservative scholars believe there are numerous additions that were not in the original autographs. Machen and Warfield from the first quarter of the last century to name but a few from yesteryear. They were as conservative as they come.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Not only is this a grammatical nightmare, it is completely false. Modern translations use better manuscripts. They are far superior than the KJV.