1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I vote Libertarian

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Nov 13, 2012.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

First, I'd like to dispense with a voting myth. It recently came up, again, at a barbeque. The conversation momentarily devolved to politics and the hostess said, "The only reason I vote is so I'll have a right to complain."

That's the conventional wisdom, right? We've heard it for years. But it's baloney.

In a nice way, I said to her, "I feel as though those who don't vote have more right to complain than those who do."

That got her attention as well as that of a few others.

"After all," I said, "of people who vote, I'd estimate 98% of them vote for Democrats or Republicans, and it's the Democrats and Republicans who have been creating the problems that have been stacking up for the last 80 years. I don't see how you have a right to complain about the problems, if you keep voting for the people who create the problems. Just saying."

No one said anything, so I added, "Congress currently has a dismal 10% approval rating but an 80% reelection rating. What does that tell you? We elect people to Congress, they create problems, we complain about the problems, then we reelect them. Are we expecting change? People who don't vote at all have more right to complain about the problems than the people who vote for them again and again."

The subject changed, but I hoped my little insight might make a difference the next time anyone who listened to me that evening fills out a ballot.

CONTINUE . . .