1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is America so hostile?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Sularis

Sularis Member

Why America is so hostile

Because it is ignorant - of so so many things - and despite Michael Moore going overboard he makes the odd valid point - Americans live by fear - Americans arent happy unless they have something to fear.

I still remember Disney's presentation about Canada - it was so ignorant and offensive - I wanted to slap the so-called "Canadian" who was running the *beep* exhibit - It still makes me mad to this day.

I remember a Bible school graduate not being able to make the cognitive step that since I had been speaking English to him for a half hour that I spoke English. He didnt believe me when I insisted we spoke a similar language - everyone knowing that Americans speak a sub-dialect of English with yer crazy-like spellings ya'll ;p

I mean who honestly thinks that we go around on dog-sleds - I mean we're civilized we got snowmobiles at the very least!

and the geography - oh merciful heavens - I mean come on I mean true we have our Newfies - but they surpass most Americans in geography skills - and they aren't good at geography - I have several used university textbooks and let's just say France is not Texas despite their wishes.

If something is in yer face - ya'll deal with it fine - but move it out of sight - and it becomes a bogeyman bent on world oil domination.

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Your english is pretty good...did you use some kind of translation software to translate from Canadian?

I was somewhat doubtful of you actually being from Canada...you didn't end a single sentence with "eh."

:thumbs:

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

WHEW!

OK, how does what you wrote deal with America and the recent shift towards a slightly angrier society?

Wayne

4. Servent

Servent Member

I saw on the news this morning were a car ran off the road into a ditch, the man behind him stoped to help. the fellow in the ditch jumped out of his car and stole the mans truck. He did manage to jump in the back of the truck bust the back window and get him to stop.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As for the Disney exhibit, I'm assuming you're talking about Epcot, and if so... well, when people pay huge bucks and come from as far away as Japan, if they want to see an exhibit about Canada, do you really think that they want to see a normal city with a bunch of Muslims walking around? No, they want to see dog sleds and snow. You act like they were showing Canada as if it were in the new Borat movie.

6. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Evil will increase but I do feel that the media/television/games etc. have encouraged evil to abound and people to become desensitized.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

could it be partly that we are getting tired of being called ignorant and condescended to? as if the most unlearned among us are the only representatives worth mentioning?

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find America to be hostile. I just think you find what you are looking for. I look for the good and find it all around me. If you are looking for hostile, then that is what you find. Maybe, you should change what you are looking for.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some facts to consider:

The population in 1910 was 91,972,266 people in America. We have well over 3 times that amount now, less than 100 years later. Actually, I'm not sure that accounts for all the undocumented illegal folks. At the minimum, the rate of crimes per person would be over 3 times what they were back then... but:

Back then, communication was crappy, at best. You couldn't even talk on the telephone from one coast to another. Nobody had TV's. So, any news you heard came from the newspaper, and most of that is going to be local stuff unless it's of extreme importance. If you were in New York you're not going to hear about rapes and robberies in San Francisco.

Fast forward to today, and we can keep up with events in real time not only all the way across America, but around the globe. There are so many newscasters just itching for any kind of filler story that we hear about absolutely everything. And, being the drama addicts that we are... we listen to these stories.

So, with all that in mind... you guys are really still wondering why we hear about more violence and fraud and everything else now??? It should really be expected, even if the rate of crime or whatever per person did not change at all, or even decreased.

I promise, if you were to just unplug yourself and quit watching the TV and quit talking so much on the phone and never get on the internet again, that the peaceful conservative America that you once thought you knew would seem to return.

Every story that you guys are complaining about is based off of some media hyped story from probably several states away that was probably blown out of proportion. Quit consuming that junk if you're really wanting life to be like it used to be. If you knew people first hand that went through this stuff, like if your neighbor picked up a hitchhiker and got his throat slashed, sure, I can see where you're coming from, but otherwise, you're just buying into the media hype that didn't even exist back during the days that you long for.

Just turn off the computer. Don't watch CNN. Life will seem better instantly.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes: And did you gain this priceless knowledge from your living all across America as part of your exhaustive research into the sociological/psychological makeup of our nation or did you just take Michael Moore's word for it?

Ah......so you don't like stereotypical portrayals of your country? :laugh:

In the future, please do not refer to the English that we speak as a sub-dialect. Please do not refer to it as "sub" anything especially when referring to one particular part of the country as in your reference to "ya'll".

The prefix, sub, implies inferiority. If you choose to believe that your English is the correct English and American English is the incorrect English, then please refer to our English as non-standard.....not sub-standard.

Another Canadian stereotype that you don't care for?

Hmmm.....another American stereotype implied by you.

You really did enjoy Michael Moore, didn't you! :rolleyes:

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When people stand for nothing that is good they bless evil.

The Bible says that the righteous are bold as a lion. So many think their God is in the Bible. God is not in the Bible. Only a record of his working and who He is, is in the Bible. He is real and can be trusted. So many trust their own logic and fall flat. So many claim to believe the Bible but when it comes right down to it they treat God as a second class foreigner and a slave. They treat him as though He is not sovereign and able to do the supernatural.

When was the last time anyone saw a church trust God for only things He can do? Too many have plans and then say God blessed them until their plans finally fail. We read books written by men about a methodology and then feel great because the "plan" is working only to find out later that God was never in it from the beginning and that it was only a plan of man. Too many times God is mocked by the plans of man as though God must bless even though the Holy Spirit is left out instead of God being sought.

We have so many “how to” books and seminars on how to do this or that. Yet many read the “how to” books more than they read the Bible and pray. How many “how to” books were around in the early church. The vast majority of people then could not read nor write and even fewer had access to a Bible. Yet the church grew and people walked with God. We have so many resources and so little impact today. We have entire churches who feel as though they should not communicate with the world for fear of being tainted. Yet the early church testified of their faith publically. When people seek the one and only true God then we will see the one and only true God at work in our midst.

2 Chron 7:13,14 is still true today, “If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

If America threw away every “how to” book and began to pray and seek God I believe we would see a stronger church and a more vibrant church impacting the world for Jesus Christ. We would see a church free from its own bondage and people standing bold in their faith from God.