1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is ATS seen as Superior?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by untangled, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

Sometimes academicians are not a little bit unrealistic. Many profs were put through seminary by their wives and think that should be normal. It is not and should be not normal, in my opinion.

I worked part time and pastored a bi-vo church while at SBTS. Such efforts were applauded, not denigrated, at Southern.

As a matter of fact, the Ministry Referral Office at SBTS is instrumental in coordinating efforts by students and churches in finding each other.

Bill

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey all,

In the "for what it is worth" category, Mid America Baptist seminary in Memphis does not and probably NEVER WILL have ATS accreditation. And their grads have done work at many other institutions.

sdg!

rd

3. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going to do so myself, but found that it would not be a very good option with it being that far away from me and me having to take on alot of duties at my church. My original plan was to move there and go while working.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I'm considering that school, and I do want to pursue doctoral work, could you provide examples of schools that accepted MABTS degrees?

It would be much appreciated.

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to know too. I was again told by GCTS that RA accredited degrees are not allowed for entry into ATS institutions. Some of the schools I am interested in pursuing for a Th.M or D.Min are ATS accredited.

As a side note: Baptist Bible College and Seminary at Clarks Summit, PA seems to have some excellent programs and their only regionally accredited. Looking at their degree plans it seems they have requirements superior to alot of ATS accredited schools.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

I know for a fact that MABTS grads have been accepted into the SBTS PhD program. Consequently, for GCTS to say "that RA accredited degrees are not allowed for entry into ATS institutions" is simply not accurate.

Bill

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

GCTS says:

"Those entering the D.Min. program will have completed an ATS-accredited M.Div. degree or its educational equivalent with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher." web page

I know that one of the regional grad schools that I have spoken to, did practice academic bias in regards to degree granting institution.

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone know what advanced programs accept LBTS M.Div grads? I want to further my training after this. Maybe that's too far ahead to plan but it does make me curious as to where I can go.

Any seminaries have Ph.D programs in MFT or pastoral care? How about D.Min?

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Anyone know what advanced programs accept LBTS M.Div grads? I want to further my training after this. Maybe that's too far ahead to plan but it does make me curious as to where I can go."

==Liberty is RA and TRACS accredited so most Universities/Seminaries that are RA accredited will accept a MDiv from Liberty. ATS schools you will just have to check with on a one by one basis. However Liberty's online/distance MDiv will not qualify you to enter most PhD programs. Why not? Languages. Liberty only offers basic greek language tools (3hrs), and basic hebrew language tools (3hrs) online and most PhD programs require at least 9 hours of greek and 9 hours of hebrew before one can be admitted into their programs (SEBTS is the PhD I am citing). According to several people I have talked to Liberty has no plans to offer further language courses online/distance in the near future. Interestingly enough Liberty's ThM (oncampus only) requires 9 hours of Greek and 9 hours of Hebrew before one can enter that program. That is interesting because Liberty's external program does not prepare a student for their own ThM program (they don't have a PhD in theology). However if you are on campus at Liberty this will not be an issue. Just a heads up on that.

You probably need to check with the school(s) you are interested in transfering to.

Martin.

10. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

I have some news you are probably not aware of yet. Liberty is planning to offer languages for their DL students. I don't know if its going to be online or at intensives but they are. I wrote Dr. Daniel Mitchell and he said they are currently looking at ways to put full language studies out to the distance students so they can have the benefit of learning the Hebrew and Greek.

Also, I was told I could get permission to take Greek and Hebrew from another accredited school online. I would just need to work it out with my advisor. Long story short, in the future (don't know how distant) they are going to offer them to us.

In Christ,

Brooks

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Regional accreditation is seen as higher than national accreditation or specialty accreditation, which is what ATS is. Besides, ATS is a joke nowadays anyway, and has been ever since they tried to bully the SBC and its six seminaries - at which time the SBC said it would pull out of ATS, taking the overwhelming majority of ATS school students with them. ATS is toothless.

I've never seen a church require ATS accreditation. I have seen some require an accredited seminary degree, but that's fairly broad.

12. ascund

ascund New Member

The Mid-American Baptist Seminary is SACSCC accredited. It doesn't get any better than this. Who needs ATS when you have the top notch?

Lloyd

13. ascund

ascund New Member