1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is Calvinism surging?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Dec 26, 2007.

?
  1. It is just a fad that will pass.

7.5%
  2. These things come and go.

28.4%
  3. It is apostasy

7.5%
  4. It is a return to Biblical truth

55.2%
  5. I have no clue

7.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#101 Jarthur001, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Being lead to thier own destruction

Many men our being lead to thier own destruction for believing a lie.

God is only going to keep these people.

Zephaniah 3:12
    But I will leave within you the meek and humble, who trust in the name of the LORD.

Here is some scripture that I hope you all study scripture instead of mens ideas that are leading them to thier own destruction.

Ezekiel 3:18 When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 19 But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.

20 "Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die. Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 21 But if you do warn the righteous man not to sin and he does not sin, he will surely live because he took warning, and you will have saved yourself."

James 5:17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. 19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins

James 3:1
    Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Romans 11:17If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." 20Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Hebrews 3:
    Warning Against Unbelief
    7So, as the Holy Spirit says:
    "Today, if you hear his voice,
    8do not harden your hearts
    as you did in the rebellion,
    during the time of testing in the desert,
    9where your fathers tested and tried me
    and for forty years saw what I did.
    10That is why I was angry with that generation,
    and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray,
    and they have not known my ways.'
    11So I declared on oath in my anger,
    'They shall never enter my rest.' "

12See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. 15As has just been said:
    "Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts
    as you did in the rebellion."

16Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed[Or disbelieved]? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Jude:5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord[Some early manuscripts Jesus] delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

I cannot let men take chances on thier eternity over a man made doctrine, but reminding them of the truth of His word.

13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

#102 psalms109:31, Dec 29, 2007
  3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks!

Let's keep in mind that this thread is NOT a debate about the doctrine of Calvinism. This was stated clearly in the OP. This thread is about the surge and what is causing it.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This was my point exactly. If I wanted to prove that calvinism was on the decline to sway public opinion and proselytize my doctrine, it would not be hard to do.

#104 webdog, Dec 29, 2007
  5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

This would be why in my book. Liberals got control of the education in SBC schools one professor at a time and before long most of the professors were liberals and their view grew from there. Calvinism is doing the same thing. Who ever get control of the education if it is public schools, Bible Schools or seminaries will see their view grow.
    I went to a Calvinistic seminary that turned liberal, I would say they were about 50-50 or 60, 40 on the Calvinistic side when I went but by the late 60's early 70's they were 100% liberal or very near it. The denomination went liberal because what they were teaching in seminary and that is what was coming from the pulpit.
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not Calvinistic nor liberal.

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Ahh... It's a conspiracy I see! These crafty Calvinists will do anything to promote their doctrine!

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

no longer a hyper what?

Hyper-calvinist?
    Hyper-fundy?
    Hyper-active?

8. christianyouth

Calvinist.

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You have never been hyper-Calvinist sense being on this board. In fact, you were never a Calvinist sense being on this board. When was this?

What made you believe in Hyper? Why were you hyper before?

10. christianyouth

Jarthur? I'm not sure if you have read my posts or not, but I think some people on here could really tell you of my Calvinism. I definitely have some Calvinist posts, in fact, there was a period where I thought that Non-Calvinism was the root of all problems in the church. But really, I feel I need to throw that into my signature, not to denigrate the Calvinist position, but to serve as an apology to all the people who I demonized with my radical views and my radical behavior.

I guess when I say Hyper Calvinism, I'm speaking more of the MOOD of a hyper Calvinist, and not exactly the doctrine. True, I used to deny common grace, so by that I think I was classified as a hyper. I also thought that the Gospel wasn't a genuine invitation to the lost, but only a message preached to God's elect. So I think I can say I was both a Calvinist, and a hyper.

11. christianyouth

Just wanted to add, it was a joke about this being a Calvinist conspiracy. I was just saying that because some seemed to be implying that by their posts.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for this honest perspective. :thumbs:

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I put you down for a Calvinist.............:thumbs: :laugh:

BBob,

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob,

It seems like you ate too much over the Christmas season, forgetting that I'm a 5-point Calvinist. :laugh:

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I hurt myself bad, went to gymn 5 days in a row last week and don't know how many this week but I still can't tell a difference.........:laugh: :tonofbricks:

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good one Bob! Still working out? I'm puzzled. :laugh:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think it's interesting that the overwhelming majority voted that Calvinism is surging because it's Biblical.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I will have to work out the rest of my life or until I get bed fast TC; because of the bad heart. A big portion of it is damaged from loss of blood.

But I am a tough old bird and go as if this is my last day and preaching my last sermon..........:)

BBob,

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The greatest majority of this board do not go close to a C/A debate of any kind. There must be 31 Calvinist on here...............:), they all vote.

I tell you, get into a debate with one and see how many you are debating when the thread is over....:laugh: :laugh: The stick together like flies on a watermelon...:godisgood:

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob,

I got you. One of my profs was told after an accident that he would never walk again. Not only is he walking again, but he's doing everything he did before, and he lives in the gym.

I truly admire people like that, with guts and determination. :thumbs: