1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it those who are divorced or have made mistakes in their lives.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What is it that you hope?
    AJ

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think it was probably a slip of the tongue (or keybord :)) that she mentioned the pregnancy. But she has made many posts in which she tries to justify what most on the BB consider to be unchristian behavior and calls others "judgmental" for disagreeing with her.

Again, she can clear all this up when she comes back. I am not trying to attack her or gossip as all her posts have been public, but something is just not right here. It's hard to imagine a church these days shunning someone who is divorced, since it is SO common now. Her church must be shunning most of its members.

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I agree with you 100%, but yes, something isnt right.

I know I have led a very bad life, and I have no right to condemn anyone's life....but the Bible tells me that I am forgiven, and that same Bible and Lord will forgive anyone else that asks.

But when person trys to lead a double life.....spritual on sunday, and secular during the week, then it nees to be addressed.

Superwoman? I do pray for your situation, but you have to realize that you must also make an effort. God is not going to bless y7ou as long as you are living against His will.

And if it is true that you have been shacking up, or have a baby not by your husband, God will still forgive you. But, you have to be honest with everyone. that means us, your family, your freinds, your baby's family, your church, and most of all, with God.

Church is not about what the other people there think, it is about what God thinks, and that is solely based on your relationship with Him.

AJ

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It is quite common.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

First of all I do not live a double life. I do not appreciate Amy attacking everything I said and making me feel even worse. God has forgiven me I know that without a doubt and even with everything going on has been blessing me beyond what I ever expected with an awesome job and promotion and I am able to pay the bills and be there for my kids. My issue is that I am getting my feet back on the ground and getting the broken pieces of my life back together and people continue to treat me and my family as 2nd class citizens and not even just me have noticed. My friends in Divorce Care have noticed and so have a couple of friends that are in AA. I firmly believe people can change. I still believe that one day my ex husband will grow up and not be the selfish jerk that he is now. What I dont understand is why God can love us and people today treat us like crud all because of the situations that we have in our lives. I wish my life would be perfect but it isnt but I also feel condemned. Case in point tonight my son and I went to the grocery store and we bought some stuff so we can watch football at home this weekend and the cashier told my 6 yr old son to have fun watching the games this weekend with dad and my son quickly told her that mom and dad are divorced and mom and I watch the games together this weekend and you could just seethe change in her attiiude and my anger started to boil. So what if i am going to watch the games with my son his dad doesnt care about him:BangHead: it just infuriated me. But thats how people treat me and others on a daily basis. I love that my sons stick up with how wonderful I am to them in everything. And to answer your question yes I am pregnant I am due in February 2009 I am not ashamed that I am pregnant because 1) the doctors said because of my cancer I could not have any more kids and so this baby is a miracle in itself. I am planning on raising this child on my own -- raising my 3 kids on my own and being there 100% for them. The child is not my ex husband's the child is a man I was dating. Before you go into the shame shame thing well I have had time with the Lord and I know I am forgiven and this baby well it wouldnt be coming and my health wouldnt be this good to carry this baby if this wasnt part of the Lords plan. My family at first was upset but now they are excited and ready to support me and in all of this especially my boys and my divorce care class has been so supportive. As for the father he is having his own issues in life and so far hasnt been a part of this which doesnt bother me I know me and the Lord will handle this just fine and be even stronger when this is all over and I thank God for the awesome doctors I have and for keeping me healthy and only having a couple of complications because of the cancer. So okay get the pitchforks ready....because I know I am going to hear how wrong I am and how holier than thou you are.

6. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

You may not live a double life, but you have misrepresented yourself here on these boards. Why bring up hypotheticals in other threads that weren't hypotheticals at all? And actually they were you and NOT someone else. While I do NOT condemn you as a person, as I have no room to do so, I do strongly disagree with your actions and hope you don't mind me praying for you. And even if you do mind I'm gonna do it anyway. :praying:

#26 mparkerfd20, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're being treated like a second class citizen because you're divorced, a single mom and there is no Mr. in the home ?
    Now that is news, news, news to me.
    Either I am not living in the real world, or you are not. Must be me.
    From what I know, being divorced and a single mom (or dad) is the "in" thing, like being gay, or pro-gay, or a non-redneck, or pro-life, and being happy with the thought that one was formerly a blob floating around until the blob evolved into a one-celled amoeba then a fish, then a monkey, and so on down (or up) the evolutionary ladder.

Last I heard, people who have been married as opposed to being "domestic partners" were the oddities, most especially if they have been married for more than five (5) years, and people who believed they were created by God in His image, and who believed gay sex was a no-no, or who believed in the good old values that used to make up the moral core of this country, these were those that the ultra-modern, let your hair down, anything goes real world "snickered" at.

Well, I guess I must be living in a make-believe world.

8. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

That this would be cleared up.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All you gotta do is watch the Disney channel for a couple of hours, and you'll realize that divorced moms/single parent families are not second class citizens. In fact, according to that channel, it's the families that actually have 2 parents (of opposite sex) that are abnormal.

That said, I'm going to say something, and it's going to be harsh, but I'm going to say it anyway: Superwoman, stop playing the victim. If you've got things settled with the Lord, then why are you complaining about the way others treat you? Why are you on here looking for justification for your choices and lifestyle?

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Sad though it is, sometimes divorce is a blessing.

11. superwoman8977

I brought it up as a hypothetical not to misrepesent myself but because I couldnt handle at that moment all the negativity and all the crud the people of the BB would try and preach at me. Like I told my parents what I did was wrong and I know this and I repented to Christ and attempted to fix my life and do the right thing but the damage has already been done and now there isnt much more I can do than live with it and I wasnt trying to be the victim I was simply asking a question why people who are "blemished" are treated differently and wow I found out that my loving brothers and sisters in Christ were treating me just the way I talked about.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Superwoman,

I am sorry that you are having these feelings.

Sometimes, though, our feelings are amplified by our own perceptions or misperceptions. If you believe God has forgiven you, move on past what appears to be bitterness and anger. It is difficult to get past a man who has hurt you and you feel he has broken your life in peices. But you can move on. Be careful in moving on that you do not beat everyone up around you. Seriously, people just want to help. But helping people want a level of transparency.

What are you in AA for--because your ex was an alcoholic, or because you are?

It sounds like you haven't accepted the fact that you are divorced and your son is without "a father." There is nothing wrong with you watching the game with him. You might also find families to pair up with so that your son can get some positive male influence in his life.

As far as being pregnant again, Congratulations! You have chosen a more difficult path to follow being that you are a single mother, but I hope that you can fall on the strength of the Lord to see you through this, both with your health and in raising all your children. Also in dealing with the circumstances surrounding the conception of this blessing of God. I will be in prayer for you.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually, those who are not divorced and who have not lived scandalous lives demonstrate a wisdom and depth of character that has been abandoned or not pursued by those who walked a path less praiseworthy.

Good families and strong marriages don't just happen.

That's not to say that sometimes people aren't simply innocent victims, and it's not to say that God hasn't changed such folks, but judging from all the whining and the mitigation of your "mistakes," it's hard for one to see you as a discerning, disciplined individual, or one who is truly repentant. I would certainly object to your holding a position in church (or anywhere else for that matter) where you would serve as a role model to my children.

Do you "get it" now?

#33 Aaron, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  14. superwoman8977

Yeah I get that you think you are perfect and I am not. Thanks for the Christ-like love. And by the way I am a great role model to my kids, my kids adore me for being strong and for being there for them when Mr. Idiot walked on them. My kids know that I am there for them no matter what. My son for Mothers Day this year wrote a speech for his class about how his mom was always there for him and that he could always talk to me about anything and yes my life and the circumstances in my life werent perfect but that I was tough as nails and strong in my faith and in my devotion to my kids and he took that as an example as to how he wanted to be. I wonder how many of your children can say that about you. My kids watched me fight the cancer and the forclosure of our home and their dad going on 2 deployments and then cheating on me and leaving me and now the divorce and everything and they see what a strong person I am to be able to endure all that and in all of that I have clung to the cross and my kids see that and I am an example to them. No my choices this summer were not right but through all of it we have grown closer together as a family and grown in our faith. And that to me is positive progress.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Superwoman -

No one is doubting that you're strong. You've been through a lot in your life and you've gotten through it all. I'm sure you love your children and work hard to give them a good life.

However, there are a few things I see:

You had a relationship with a man outside of the bounds of marriage and did not see that as wrong. God calls that sin and you didn't see that.

You became pregnant with this man's child and expect everyone to embrace you and congratulate you. Yes, every child is a blessing but not every circumstance of their conception is a blessing. This child was conceived in a sinful relationship and I have not seen any repentance in that area.

You are very prideful in your posts and I'm sure that's not helping your situation in real life.

"I'm sorry" isn't enough, honestly. If your child came to you after crashing the car and said "I'm sorry" but continued to do the wreckless behavior that caused the accident - and they do not feel that the behavior was wrong, would you feel the apology was true?

My advice would be to get under the counsel of a Godly woman. Find someone who will not just say "You're wonderful" but someone who will tell you the hard things - someone who will help to "sharpen" you and to mentor you in understanding God's Word and it's application to your life.

I horseback ride. I've had a few different trainers and I'll tell you the kind I like and the kind I hate. I hate the ones who give me small corrections but generally say "You're doing great. Good. Good." I don't learn a thing through them and have found them to be a great waste of money. The ones I like? My former trainer who came from Germany who would yell and tell me USEFUL things, "Your legs are like jello! You need to get them tight or else you're never going to be a good rider!" You know what? I progressed more in the 3 years I worked with her than ever before in my 30+ years of riding. She gave me a foundation that works to this day. Was it easy? No. Was it nice to hear? Nah - In my heart, I'd rather hear "You look great" than "You look like a wet noodle" but the "wet noodle" comment was much more helpful. In the same way, you would do very well to find someone who will tell you the tough things - through a relationship of love.

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Being Christ-like means much more than just loving everybody. Jesus also taught about responsibility and living a godly life.

It was you , yourself that started this thread asking why people respond to you like they do. But when folks here answer that question you get upset. Your comments and actions dont reflect a person who has "clung to the cross".

I find it amusing that you call your ex-husband "Mr Idiot". If you just got divorced in June, and your baby is due in Feb, then you must have still been married to Mr Idiot when you got pregnant by someone else. I wonder what your ex calls you.

What I am trying to point out to you is that what you say and what you actually do doesnt seem to fit.

Perhaps you should seek counsel from your pastor. I would be very leery of the ideaology of some of these secular support groups. Some of the folks that I know in AA have totally rejected church and AA has become their church. The worst thing about that is that AA excuses any and all immoral behavior just as long as they dont drink. I have even heard some say that Jesus and church wont keep anyone sober, only AA can do that.

I have to agree with the previous poster, you seem to be less upset with how you live, and more upset that folks notice it. Repentance is a wonderful thing.

Here are my suggestions, based on your own statements:

Seek christian counsel.

Study the Bible and learn more about godly living.

Let go of the animosity you have towards your ex and others.

Stop blaming everyone else, its your life, take responsibility for it.

And most of all, be honest with yourself, and dont make excuses.

I wish you the best.

AJ

#36 ajg1959, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't know if you know this, but you don't have to be "superwoman".

In reality, we are all weak in God's eyes, and the more we trust and follow him and do what is right, the stronger we really are.

It is okay to be weak. Then the power of God is manifest through us.

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Are you familiar with the Barkers of gangster fame?

Those boys loved their mother more than anything, but Ma Barker was anything but a good role model. What I am saying is that having the love of a child doesnt make one a good role model.

I agree with Aaron on the role model thing. I would not allow my child to visit in your home with all of the stuff going on, and with the animosity you carry. Its not healthy nor is it a good example.

AJ

19. superwoman8977

I am glad you are "perfect" also. Also my husband and I had been seperated for almost 2 1/2 years and we have had the papers for awhile and signed so it wasnt like I cheated on him in any way. He cheated on me and then moved in with her and the day our divorce papers were final he married the woman so gee how am I supposed to feel about that? You can sit here and belittle me and my family all you want that wasnt what I was asking. I know I am not perfect and I am woman enough to keep sticking to the cross and doing the best I can with what I have been dealt with. Also I am not part of AA I have friends that are part of AA its amazing when things happen who you will end up hanging out with. I have made several new friends through the divorce care and AA programs at church who have been judged and hurt and know what it is like to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. I wasnt asking for justification I just wanted to know why people in here, in other places think because they are Christians they are better than anyone else and through all of this I have been shown that Christ's love doesnt exist in this group. I know the Lord has forgiven me for all of this and I am not with the guy anymore I am honestly trying to be the best person I can be however there are people in here that keep throwing things I have gotten over back in my face. Yeah I made a mistake--actually a few of them but I have kept on keeping on with the Lords help. I am not trying to be a victim I just want to know why you cant think people can fix their lives and end up living lives even better for the Lord, be even better people having gone through trials. I am glad I am forgiven by the Lord and not by all of you. One thing I have taught my children is that people can change and I am living proof. Sorry that you all cant get away from the blinders and see that.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why do people treat you like a second class citizen?

Part is in your mind. I'm convinced of that.

But part of it is your pride. You do this all yourself. You are good. You are sorry for what you did. You just wanted love. You were the victim. You are a strong woman and will not let a man rule you again. You ... you ... you....

See what I mean?

A person who has made mistakes and has repented humbles themselves, seeks Godly counsel and does not go around saying "I did wrong but I'm sorry. Why are people treating me like I did something wrong?"