1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is it those who are divorced or have made mistakes in their lives.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 2, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Superwoman:

Do you really want an answer to your question? You say you want to know why you are treated as a 2nd class citizen. Yet when people on this board try to tell you why you want to argue with them.

Look, you can believe they are wrong, you can believe you deserve a second chance, you can believe your a good role model, you can believe anything you want.

Others have shared why they would not want you in a position of authority in their church or in a place of leadership over their children. Everyone is not going to accept, embrace, or excuse the choices you have made and you can't make them. You can say they are wrong. You can say they should not judge you. But they do and that is why.

You might as well argue why the sky is blue. People are just like that and you are not going to change them. They are going to judge you and a big part of the reason why is the choices you have made.

Can you change? Can you do better? Can you life for God? Of course you can, but you better not expect everyone to just forgive and forget, people are not like that.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Because of the bible, thats why.

before the pregnant divorced woman was hypothetical.

Sounds like it's already been cleared up, once you go back and read whats been posted in the past. Her husband committed adultry, she committed adultry and got pregnant, it was totally wrong for him to committ adultry, but ok for her, since all shes done is defend her adultry. It's amatter fo the heart, and she still approves and defends her wrong, this is a heart issue. Full repentance means not just I'm sorry I did this, but a turning away from it, where you know and beleive the behavior was wrong, and you seek not to do it again, you do not ever make excusess for it seeming tomake it sound like it was ok and should be accepted. Otherwise it has not actually been repented of.

You don't see lying as misrepresenting?

Shes pregnant with another man's baby not her ex husband's, she's not a victim. She could ahve been, could ahve claimed to be had she not had an affair, then of course divorced her husband for having an affair. Yes, sometimes there are obviouls victims in divorce, but not in this case, except for the kids, whose parents played adultry games and ripped their family apart.

It's not that people beleive they are perfect, it is that they take their christianity seriously, and beleive is seeking to live out scripture and not make excuses when they fail, but agree with God about their sin, and seek to turn from it. Something you over and over have made excuses not to do, but rather search for excuses to say your sin is ok, nothing to change. Any christian who idsagrees with you sin is being mean and evil to you as far as you see it. You think christians should accept your sin and your claim that sin is alright, if not they think their prefect according to you.

#42 donnA, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I know exactly what you mean. I divorced my first wife because of adultery after she told me "I won't change." My second wife divorced me after she realized that I wasn't perfect like she was. :laugh:

I've always used my talent in singing and song leading in churches since I was saved as a teen. However, I had deacons in two churches who didn't want me to lead the singing because of being divorced.

In Bible college (I was in my 30's) I was told I couldn't be a counselor at a children's summer camp because of being divorced. They were afraid I would talk about it to the kids. I asked, "Why would I talk to children about my being divorced?" "You might", I was told.

Discrimination of all kinds are rampant--even among Christians. I'm treated like an outcast because of being single--despite having been married twice, and having two daughters and four grandkids. After all, everyone knows you can't trust us "dreaded single people." :eek:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What kind of churches do you guys go to???

I don't know of any divorced person in our church that is treated like you describe.

Divorced people make up over half the population in this country. It is so common place these days that it has been accepted as normal. It's the ones that stay married that are abnormal today. Most of the people I know in our church have been divorced. Some are remarried. It's quite hard to keep up with whose children are whose. I just don't see this discrimination that you are talking about. In our church, we love one another regardless of marital status, although divorce is still against God's design and we teach that.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

That comment made me laugh I am glad I am not the only person that is treated this way. :applause:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

People tend to think that just because divorce is so prevelant in the church it some how makes it alright. Just because a large precentage of christians are divorced does not make it anymore ok when when Jesus spoke about it. The culture around us should never be allowed to dictate what we believe as christians when scripture has already spoken on the topic. Just because everyone is doing does not make it right. If we use the nuber of divorced christians to make it sound more alright to do, then what about other sins 'everyone' is doing, are they alright becasue everyone is doing it, because a large number of christians are doing it/ What about adultry, is that alright becasue a lot of christians do it? It is culturally acceptabe, and seems to be acceptable to some christians, is it alright too? Or do we get to choose for ourselves which sins are alright and which are not? Or, do we do something not quite so unique, and simply believe God?
    Divorce is not alright, it is not acceptable no matter how many are doing it. Jesus said Moses allowed it becasue of the hardness of the heart, divorce is the acknowledgement of a hard heart, He also said from the beginning it was not so, the beginning, Adam and Eve the first marriage, created by God, since then to Moses divorces was not allowed, God did not allow it. God does not approve of it. yet we try our best to make it sound so good and nice and acceptable, why just because so many are doing it, or we're so new and updated and modern and know so much more then bible times people.
    Sin is still sin.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God never divorced you. Immaturity and insecurity causes one to judge another.

2 Cor. 1:3-5 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. "

8. superwoman8977

I am not saying accept divorce. When I was married I was gung-ho against divorce. My vows meant the world to me I was actually happy to be married, and then boom the roof came crashing in. But with every couple that spilts up there is one sitting there (most of the time anyway) saying what the heck happened? I am also not saying divorce is a good thing because I know its not. I was so against divorce when I was going through mine that I was willing to stay married and have him live with this girl. That wouldnt have woked but I wanted to try it. I never gave up on my marriage until the papers were delivered to me at work that Friday afternoon and even then I refused to go to court and I fought the divorce for another 4 months until I just finally said the heck with it and signed the papers and sent them back. I never even went to the courthouse, just signed the papers so as to show him how against this I was.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I hope this wasn't directed at my post because I most certainly do not think divorce is alright. My point was that society in general accepts it and therefore I don't see the discrimination that superwoman was talking about. Jesus made it clear that divorce is against God's creation of marriage and I agree with Him. But I do not treat divorced Christians as 2nd class citizens. We are all sinners.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

No it was not directed at you or your post.

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

If you were so against the divorce, then why were you dating other men before your divorce was final? And even got pregnant with one of them before it was final?

And no, I am nowhere near perfect, but I am not on this board trying to justify my own sinful actions.

And I went back and read your previous posts about how the Bible is wrong by placing the man at the head of a household/family. Anf how a woman can do anything that a man can do, regardless if there are biblical instructions to do otherwise. (pastoring was the topic)

Can I ask you a personal question? My sister in law was a devout christian until her husband left her. Now she hates men and the church that supports the authority of men, and she has become a lesbian.

I hope that you have not become attracted to women, but your posts sound like you are looking for an excuse to deny biblical doctrine, and justify your self reliance and hate for men.

Is there anything that you havent told us?

PS, moderators, I am not questioning her sexuality from a judemental stance, only from an oppurtunity to try to understand her more, and from her own statements rejecting biblical principles and men in general.

AJ

#51 ajg1959, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Yes, misery and immorality love company.

AJ

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Divorce happens and in this world, it's almost the "in" thing to be divorced, as if there can be such a thing. It's sad but so many are touched by divorce (children, siblings, friends or the one divorced) that it's no longer uncommon and I don't see at all where anyone would be considered a second class citizen. Hey - adultery is also "normal" and I don't even see people standing against that! On another board I'm on, someone admitted to adultery and everyone said "Well, if that works for you...."!! Hello?? SIN anyone??

However, it SHOULD be different in the church. Marriages built on Christ SHOULD stay together but, unfortunately, we're dealing still with sinful individuals and it happens. But when someone is in a blatant sin such as adultery then, yes, they're going to be treated differently. The person who's husband (or wife) walked out of the marriage is loved, supported and counseled. However, the one who is committing adultery - whether the one who did it originally or not - will never be "accepted" and "loved" because that is against God's Word and His directions to us as a church regarding church purity and discipline. But repentance? That is different - although things do not just get swept under the rug because someone says "I'm sorry". I've seen what happens in these cases and I've been really impressed with how it's been handled in our church and I see the body of Christ working well to restore such a one to fellowship. Counseling and mentoring come into play as well as accountability. There's no "I'm sorry now leave me alone." There's work to be done to restore one to fellowship and I see the person growing and changing to be more like Christ through the process. It's actually pretty cool.

I do feel sorry for those in churches where they are welcomed no matter what is going on in their lives. We have a church down the street from us (the same as our former denomination) and it's just sad. Blatant sin is rampant there and the church is dying because of it. We've watched them for the last 20 years go downhill. A beautiful New England style building that's dead inside. :( Because sin has been not only allowed but celebrated.

14. superwoman8977

No there is nothing I havent told you. I do not like woman and I AM NOT A Lesbian! I cannot beleive that would even be mentioned. All my life all I wanted was the husband and the kids and the nice house and well we all see how that turned out. I did not commit adultery I slept with a man I am not proud of that and I ended up pregnant. My divorce was pretty much final. I was faithful for the 7 years we were married. He wasnt. There were probably 5 or 6 other women during our marriage and I just kept being there supporting him, standing on the sidelines taking care of the kids and the bills. I am NOT dating anyone now I have dove into my life with the kids and my job and trying to put the pieces back together. I have to be superwoman because if I dont do it it doesnt get done. I dont agree with the whole submission thing or that women are to be under a man so If there isnt a man out there that can deal with me then oh well then I guess I am alone for the next 50 years.

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've just been a casual reader up until this point, but I just have to make an observation.

If you had sex with another man while still married to your husband, you have committed adultery.
    If you had sex with anyone outside of the one you are married to, that is at the very least least fornication.
    The Bible says that both are sin.

Until you realize and admit to God that this is sin, and stop trying to defend it, but repent of it, you will never see the blessings or peace of God in your life. God takes sin very seriously - so seriously that Jesus died on a cross to pay for it.

No, I am not condemning you. Most of the BB folks are not condemning you. But you do need to admit and repent of your sin. You need to stop justifying what God calls sin.

16. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Ephesians 5:22
    Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1
    Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives,

1 Timothy 2:12
    And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.

Genesis 3:16
    To the woman He said:
    “I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
    In pain you shall bring forth children;
    Your desire shall be for your husband,
    And he shall rule over you.”

Titus 2:3-5
    the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the eyes of the land, the divorce was not final until the last papers were filed and stamped. You were still married. You were not faithful to your marriage. You did commit adultery. Period. End of story. Your argument wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in fire in a court of law so why do you think we're dumb enough to believe it here?

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That just about sums it up. :thumbs:

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I will only speak for myself.

I'm sure I have made many mistakes in my life, probably more than many of you.

Not to mention multiple sins, that I am not even aware of, in addition to those I am/was.

I just happen to personally, have never been divorced, although several members of the church I attend, have been, including my own late brother.

It turns out, in the providence of God, that if he had not been divorced, I probably would never have married. 'Nuff said, here. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.

Ed

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Stupid double double post post!