1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why is it ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by massdak, Apr 29, 2005.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

that most of the churches are arminian in doctrine ?
    a person is hard pressed to find a calvinistic church and many baptist churches do not hold to the 1689 confession.

why is this so?

2. icthus

icthus New Member

Because. Praise the Lord, they have seen the Light!

:D :D :D

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

I blame the spread of democracy.

We don't want rulers to have power that isn't given them by the people.

4. icthus

icthus New Member

What complete nonsense. The Lord, Who is not "Calvinistic", has in His Wisdom chosen to bypass the "Church" that is not preaching His Word. [​IMG]

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Calvinist answer "should be"

God has "ordained" it so that truth prevails!

It is all of God and none of man after all.

Praise God!

6. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I think that is part of the problem. We simply will not have the God of scripture to rule over us. So we create a lesser 'god' that better suits our own liking.

7. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Its encouraging to see this trend changing. The last few decades have seen a revival of the old orthodox truths of Christianity. Sincere and genuine believers are seeing the corrupt fruit of a man centered & powerless 'gospel.'

8. natters

natters New Member

Uh, if you're Calvinistic, isn't the answer obvious??? Those churches cannot be anything other than what God foreordained them to be.

Ya wanna blame someone, blame Him. BTW, God predestined me to tell you this. ;)

9. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I'm a Calvinist & I have no problem accepting that God fore-ordained the false teachings of Arminianism.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am an Arminian - I have no problem accepting that God fore-ordained that I should point out the errors of Calvinism.

11. natters

natters New Member

Then why wasn't that your answer to the original question? Instead, you talked about what "we simply will...", as if we were the cause.

12. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Man will do what God ordains. Man still bears responsiblity for his actions.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What complete nonsense. The Lord, Who is not "Calvinistic", has in His Wisdom chosen to bypass the "Church" that is not preaching His Word. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Oh like he bypassed Spurgeon, Knox, Edwards, et al.?

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because people are offended by the notion that they are not the total lords of their own destiny.

Whether they admit it or not, most take pleasure in the idea that their good own will and own choices resulted in their salvation.

15. natters

natters New Member

Yes, I understand that's the Calvinist explanation. However, I said "cause". God is still the cause, even if he chooses to shift the "responsibility" to us (it's not like we can prevent him from doing this, eh? ;) ).

Calvinism makes God into a giant puppeteer, who has his puppet do something wrong, then holds the puppet responsible. We can say (and even believe) all we want that the puppet is "responsible", but it doesn't change who caused the puppet's action.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Charles Finney and the reviavalism that flowed from him reslted in many churches becoming Arminian. Finney's effect on evangelicalism was catalclysmic. If you study history you can see a deffinate change in thought after the time of Finny within the churches.

Many unfortuantly embarced his man-centered theology and methods and still do today.

17. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

yes i have heard of charles finney the altar call king. what in the world would happen if the preacher just gave the gospel and didnt have anyone walk forward? what a blessing in that many would find themselves less assured of a false salvation based on a tearful event that they did.

18. icthus

icthus New Member

Your words show a lack of understanding of the work that the Holy Spirit did through Finney. To call his work "man-centered" is shameful, as I am sure that his own Christian life and his great passion for the salvation of the wicked, is unmatched by the majority of Calvinists. Please do speak the truth in love, and not try to destroy the live of a dear brother who reached more with the Gospel than you or I will do in our life time

19. icthus

icthus New Member

yes i have heard of charles finney the altar call king. what in the world would happen if the preacher just gave the gospel and didnt have anyone walk forward? what a blessing in that many would find themselves less assured of a false salvation based on a tearful event that they did. </font>[/QUOTE]Biblically, what is wrong with the "altar call", since we are told to make a public confession of our faith. Your words are not based on facts.

20. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Our Lord gave us sacraments (or ordnances) and nowhere in scripture do I read that the altar call is one of them. The altar call is Rome creeping back in.