1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is there a Resurgence of Reformed Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010.

?
  1. Signs of the last days, false teaching has arisen

22.2%
  2. Dumbed-down shallow Theology is being rejected

55.6%
  3. Rejection of Arminian and/or Pelagian/Semi-pelagianism and the blurring of both

29.6%
  4. An honest look back on ones own salvation experience leads them this way

33.3%
  5. It Exalts the Sovereignty and Grace of God

51.9%
  6. Dissatisfaction with the Theology I/we grew up with

37.0%
  7. John Piper

14.8%
  8. Distribution of Puritan Writings on the rise have contributed to this

11.1%
  9. The "free will of man" teaching diminishes Gods Sovereignty

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only those who desire to be intellectuals become Calvinist. However Salvation and the Bible is simple enough, a child can understand it. In fact if we cannot become as little children. We will never enter the Kingdom of God.
    Myself I would rather have the truth of the gospel as simple as it is than to be like the Pharisee’s convinced they have all the answers.
    One thing for sure there is little room for humility in such a intellectual doctrine
    MB

2. idonthavetimeforthis

Let's start a "we're more humble than you are" argument. lol. :BangHead:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good....now your clear.....I dont practice Calvinism, I practice Biblical Christianity .... and I use the lens of Reformed theology to help me understand stuff. Im more Pauline in my beliefs. Thanks for making yourself clear to me.

Blessings

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

God

I do not lean on my own understanding but trust in God. I like listening to man, but the word of God is my magnifying glass.

I don't need man to explain, God does pretty well by Himself.

He had the Holy Bible translated for us, so we can get to know Him, and not have to depend on other people as a magnifying glass.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Piper:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, how wrong you are..... Im no intellectual. I think your commentary is just a cheap shot....you should at least strive to be gracious. If not & you cant say anything nice than shut up.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not really. Certainly salvation is easy to understand as a babe. But it becomes more complex as we grow. We have more questions. Thus the many volumes of theological works. God gave us a head for more than to only use it as a hat rack.

Not all desire to be intellectuals. And what, friend, is wrong with being intellectual? Was Paul an intellectual person in his ascribing and describing proper theology?

Let's visit the other extreme. What of those churches that are anti-intellectual? Is this supposed to be more spiritual?

A preacher was preaching at a fellowship of Baptist Pastors. He held to anti-intellectualism, and "'nary a piece of literature." He got to preaching emotionally, "I'm glad I'm ignorant!!! I pray God to make me more ignoranter and ignoranter!!" He kept on going with this. A preacher stood up and said "I think God has answered your prayer!"

Part of growing spiritually is growing in grace and in knowledge (intellect).

Take for instance how our Lord, in John 3 rebuked Nicodemus for being both spiritually, and intellectually wrong and ignorant concerning the things of God. He rebuked him for both. He was responsible for both.

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God." (i.e. advance, intellectually and theologically.)

- Blessings

#27 preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know what they say about opinions....:laugh:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A preacher was preaching at a fellowship of Baptist Pastors. He held to anti-intellectualism, and "'nary a piece of literature." He got to preaching emotionally, "I'm glad I'm ignorant!!! I pray God to make me more ignoranter and ignoranter!!" He kept on going with this. A preacher stood up and said "I think God has answered your prayer!"

VERY FUNNY...Good post!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK then how do you know your on the right course? How do you know that its the HS translating & not the Devil? Where do you go when you have questions?

#30 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 16, 2010
  11. psalms109:31

God is sovreign He gave me what He wanted me to know and He translated or He is not sovereign. God will protect His word from man, you know. Man word will wither and die , God word will live forever. It is amazing how men think God is sovereign, but can't believe God can protect His word.

#31 psalms109:31, Dec 16, 2010
  12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You avoid the question.

Do you read other books by men/women of God on theology?

What is this equating "only the Bible" as this super spiritual spirituality?

Do you read other works? Which version do you use? How do you then figure God placed "teachers" into His church?

13. psalms109:31

I do not lean on my own understanding but trust in God. I like listening to man, but the word of God is my magnifying glass.

I am sorry, people like yes or no answers, so yes I read other books and no not just the Holy Bible

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last sentence was unnecessary. He also gives you brains to think & study, a mouth to ask questions, Pastors to help, Brethren to debate with, books to read. God is Sovereign....however your idea of sovereign & mine differ apparently.

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wish there was an "other" box because I can't honestly vote in any of the above categories. Though I would tend towards the second it isn't a complete answer. :)

There are three reasons, imho, why we've seen a resurgence of Reformed theology:

1. Publishers are behind it because it sells books and packs conferences. Don't discount this as the primary reason, imho, we have seen the volume turned up. As recent surveys have shown it isn't a resurgence as much as it is increased volume. Honestly this is a major issue. The reality that they have put younger and more dramatic faces behind most of Reformed leadership is also part of this. In general surveys of recent seminary grads and pastoral leadership in evangelical churches there isn't as much a resurgence as we have been led to believe. This is a publisher pushed conversation.

2. It is a discipline (notice here not the but a) which brings together strict biblicism and (fairly) conservative theology. When the SBC was beginning their resurgence they had to tie in with many Reformed folk because they were the only ones who held the Bible in as high a standard as the leaders of the resurgence. It was an uneasy, but necessary alliance. It also gave a pretty big platform to their rising stars. The Reformed school constantly pivots to a robust view of Scripture and can identify, exegete, and apply their selected Scriptures to provide basis for their view. How many Reformed folk have you been in conversation with? Just curious. Because of the many that I have encountered, when you push the buttons and go outside their selected verses they begin to lose a foothold. Just being honest. To their credit, the Reformed leadership has done an excellent job informing their followers of the basics of their beliefs. It is a pretty simple system too.*

3. Because it is cyclical. Look back over the past 500 years since the start of the Reformation. Jean Calvin wasn't the first to posit the Reformed point of view. He simply formulated it in the final edition of his magnum opus Institutes of the Christian Religion. Did a great job too. The Church, since then, has gone through a ton of change but has seen a regular pattern of rising and falling of Reformed influence. We just happen to be in a time where it is rising.

You know a lot of this conversation is based on poorly defined concepts too. Too many Reformed folk only know the talking points and have never gotten into the base literature. Seriously, how many of them have actually read the Institutes?

I'm not Reformed but respect those who are...if they understand why they believe and are not hopelessly dogmatic. There is a lot more to be said but I'll end it there. :)

* Fun point here, notice how flexible the system is too. Most historic Reformed theologians are historical premillenialists but most modern are dispensational premillenialists. This means they've take a system developed in Covenant theology and translated into a (usually progressive) dispensationalist framework. I mean holy cow that is HUGE. Not many theological systems are that fluid. Of course I wouldn't say they can do it consistently but how many modern Reformed folk actually know the difference between Covenant theology and dispensational thought?

#35 preachinjesus, Dec 16, 2010
  16. psalms109:31

God gave me

God gave me an absolute truth that I should believe in no matter what men may say.

17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I think there are some major events in the last few decades which has caused a resurgence in Reformed Theology.

First, I believe some of our Old Princeton brothers who held to the Westminster Standards have paved the way for much of our modern era's resurgence (will mention one contributor later).

Secondly, J.I. Packer was extremely influential in causing a revival on the works of the Puritans as well as his focus on doctrine in books like "Knowing God."

Thirdly, 1979…. This was a significant year for a couple of reasons. First, the Conservative Resurgence in the SBC but also the clear defining of Biblical Innerancy in Chicago (influenced greatly by the writings of the Old Princeton theologian, B.B. Warfield). Both focused on a high view of the Scriptures which resulted in…

Fourthly, the rediscovering and practice of expository preaching. Expository preaching became popular before reformed theology. This resurgence forced the Seminaries and Pastors to deal with tough passages on the topic and wrestle with them as had not been done in a while. People began calling themselves "3 1/2 point Calvinists" and similar designations because they were studying the issue, thus there had to be new designations to convey your research.

Fifthly, the rise of passionate and mission focused reformed Pastors/leaders who were not an exact replica of any one ministry or movement. Examples include Piper, Grudem, MacArthur, Sproul, Mahaney, Duncan, Mohler, Kennedy etc… Each of these men are radically different from the other but hold to a form of reformed theology that is not exactly like the other. Each are committed to expository preaching and missions, but each approach is distinct.

This is why I think Reformed Theology has seen a resurgence.

#37 Ruiz, Dec 16, 2010
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All depends on which Reformed group your talking to

19. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is there a resurgence in Reformed Theology? Because light is breaking into darkness. Soli Deo Gloria.

The Archangel

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or another way to put that can be post tenebras lux--"after darkness, light"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.