1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is there a Resurgence of Reformed Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 16, 2010.

?
  1. Signs of the last days, false teaching has arisen

22.2%
  2. Dumbed-down shallow Theology is being rejected

55.6%
  3. Rejection of Arminian and/or Pelagian/Semi-pelagianism and the blurring of both

29.6%
  4. An honest look back on ones own salvation experience leads them this way

33.3%
  5. It Exalts the Sovereignty and Grace of God

51.9%
  6. Dissatisfaction with the Theology I/we grew up with

37.0%
  7. John Piper

14.8%
  8. Distribution of Puritan Writings on the rise have contributed to this

11.1%
  9. The "free will of man" teaching diminishes Gods Sovereignty

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformations

Reformation: an interesting word to dissect.

When there is a military reforming, there is a headcount, resupply, reinforcement--then you go take the next hill--quite often you just rally what you got left and head for the next hill.

We speak of reformation in the spiritual world and refer to people in the 16th century who would reform the holy see--the one created and enthroned by a Roman Emperor. Defrocked they were. Now what?

How does one reform apostasy? The holy see had their own reformation. Then the 19th century produced one Joseph Smith Jr. who claimed an apparition and revelation from on high. Everyone is apostate--start over with Joe as the new vicar. There are millions following him--a reformed group too.

Now in the age of cyberspace we have another reformation. What are we reforming???
    Nothing X reformation X reformation X reformation= nothing. This is not new math.

Jesus said He would never leave us nor forsake us. He has kept His promise. The concept of reformation suggests that somehow Jesus cannot keep the Truth intact in every generation--as He promised.

We still have trouble with the Truth of Total Depravity. The Jews and Greeks still have trouble with the efficacy of circumcision and baptism.

The Truth of the Gospel still abides--we can call it saved or soteriology. The Truth does not change, nor need reformation--whether we believe it or not. We need repentance and revival not reformation. The Truth is still in the world, without spot, blemish, or any such thing--preserved by The Spirit The Holy.

Another bone: True Baptists did not come out of the so-called Protestant Reformation--this is another thread.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#101 Bro. James, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

And some of us think we have it all wrapped up theologically in our own, personalized, unnamed theology.

:tongue3:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it when you guys get spunky...LOL

This Pastor in NJ Al Martin would invite guys outside to settle a dispute...And he was an old man when I met him. Had a good right hook too.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Theology by its very nature is limited to the speculative, and reasoning powers of man. However, it is often important on what it is we think about God. Calvin is a simple man who wrote his institutes in his 20's and has his short comings however emphasizing God's supremacy to clarify how he intended grace to be understood is not necissarily a bad thing. However, it does have its short comings. We can't get past the mystery of God and when it comes to his grace and salvation it is at once very simplistic and very complicated. However, Calvin was not 100% correct nor should we expect him to be.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Shhhhh! Don't say that out loud man!

:saint:

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Al Martin is a great preacher. He brings in the heavy artillary every time. No one leave empty. Maybe a little tired after 90 minutes or so, but never empty.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're on FIRE today!!!

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Ba de ya - Never was a clody day"....

I can't get the song out of my mind. I wonder if it was preordained this way?

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Al Martin is GREAT.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is retired now but what a bulwark!

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This is just isn't true! I have know dozens of pastors and preachers who plainly see the errors of Calvinism. In fact, when I first heard of the false doctrine, I couldn't believe any sane person could possibly believe it. I still don't see how anyone who thinks could fall into this theological trap!

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is NOT a false doctrine. To say so is to say that all Calvinists are not Christians. You may disagree with Calvinism, it may baffle you how people can hold to the Doctrines of Grace, but you cannot call it a false doctrine just as we do not call Arminianism a false doctrine.

The Archangel

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This isn't true. A Christian can believe doctrines that are false. Many Catholics are Christians, but their doctrine is false.

But, in order not to offend you, I will refrain from using "false doctrine" to describe Calvinism in the future. :1_grouphug:

16. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know that I'd say "many" Catholics are Christians. I do think there are Catholics who are Christian, but they are not "many" and they are Christians in spite of the church, not because of it. Also, the difference in their doctrine from Calvinism is huge.

Calvinism and Arminianism both agree on the following:

1. Salvation is by Christ alone--His substitutionary atonement

2. Salvation is by faith--we do not work for or even cooperate with God in our salvation.

3. Salvation is not automatic--one must respond to the Gospel and place faith and trust in Christ

4. Intentional evangelism must take place--"How will they hear without a preacher?"

5. There are more...

The Catholic church does not believe in salvation by Christ alone. The Catholic church believes one must work with and for God to complete one's salvation. The Church believes it is the church that dispenses grace, etc. These, are false doctrines.

For Calvinism to qualify as a false doctrine it would have to deny salvation by grace alone, salvation by Christ alone, salvation by faith alone,

Calvinism and Arminianism agree on the pillars of Christianity...the difference comes in how one gets to those pillars. So, it is NOT a false doctrine.

Thanks, though, for your restraint in the future. It is much appreciated. And, hopefully you will see from the above post it is not a "false" doctrine. Doctrines you disagree with...fine. But, not false.

The Archangel

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats pretty narrow minded of you Robert.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I reject a doctrine I believe is not consistent with what the Scripture teaches. I also know many pastors who agree with me, yet I am narrow-minded?

Do you often espouse doctrines you don't feel are correct so as not to be thought of as narrow-minded?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what I try not to do.....wantonly attack fellow brothers I dont agree with. Whats the point.....your not going to change my beliefs nor will you change any on here. come on...this is petty. The best you can hope for with that tactic is to make an enemy! I wont tell you Im a saint but I dont want to be an attack dog either. By the way, I know many pastors that would agree with me...whats that prove, hmmm.

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you realize that not only do you say Calvinism is false doctrine, you are also saying that those who believe in it are insane, and without thought processes like you possess that prevent you from falling into a theological trap.

I am sure there are many in the Calvinist persuasion, dead and alive, some may be here in this Baptist board, who many of us, you perhaps included, me definitely in the list, could not hold a candle to in terms of secular and theological intelligence.

#120 pinoybaptist, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.