1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Isn't This Racism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mes228, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Proof?
    Maybe you didn't say "everyone" from Lynchburg is a Falwellist...but it sure sounds like it when you can relate a persons hometown to them being a Falwellist.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Google is your friend. For starters, CLICK HERE.

Falwell's racism is well documented. He may have mellowed a bit over the years, but he was definitely a segregationist and preached racism early on.

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I'd like to see the proof as well.

I do remember this...:wavey:

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

No. That's why he considers me to be an idiot. You see if blacks wanting to vote for a black is racist then certainly white males for all of our history have been racist and anti-female because they have never nominated anything but white males.

5. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

Why must we as Christians act this way? Are we not "all" created in His image?

6. mes228

mes228 New Member

Racist

Yes, I meant Barkley (basketball player??) that was being interviewed on CNN. In which he stated (paraphrased) that he "hated Conservatives as all they are is hypocritical Christians for judging gay marriage and homosexuals". I thought he was quite racist - but almost no one in the media ever calls a Black man racist.

I shouldn't comment but I simply can't bear it. Some of these comments, like R-bell, are so laughable it's hard. He post the literal textbook definition of racism and assumes "he's not one". Well actually the working definition of racism has a whole constellation of things ie like facets as on a diamond. I'll use myself as an example so he can avoid disturbing his security that he's O.K. Here goes (and I speak as a fool - for your benefit), I don't think that white people are genetically superior to blacks. However, I still would not want my daughter to marry someone of color. Nor would I want my entire neighborhood to be black and would probably move if it became so. I really dislike what passes as "black culture" ie the rap music, the dress ie baggy pants, the language. It pains me to see a white kid buying into that. I'm appalled at black crime ratios compared to white (even "hate" crimes that you never see called hate crimes, are I believe over ten times higher. But never mentioned or called this.) So I know that I'm a racist. I don't let that pervert my actions and try to not let it enter into my dealings with others. R-bell, perhaps you can embrace these things and they don't bother you - even a little bit?? You don't have to answer because I don't think you could answer honestly and not admit to being a little racist.

As for being "judgmental" I suppose someone meant "judge not that you be not judged". perhaps a better understanding, in light of other scriptures, would be "Condemn not that you be not condemned". God gave us a mind, and eyes, and scripture, so that we can "judge ye righteous judgement". It's not wrong to identify an alcoholic as such, nor a thief as such, etc.etc. We should be able to do those things as a part of life. It's not our job to "condemn" - in this life it's the civil authorities and God in the next.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Fallwellism as you describe it, well....all of these negative labels created to describe Christians aren't constructive imo. This includes Warranism.
    The man is dead, he cannot defend himself.

Everyone makes mistakes. That was about four decades ago so I think we can forgive Mr. Fallwell for any racism remarks or action from when he was young, especially since he is rooted in the South. Hanging on to hate only hurts.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

No hanging onto hate here. Just pointing out facts that I was asked to supply. I am no fan of Falwell, but hate him? No. That would be wasted energy.

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Barkley also said he wasn't a role model. Unfortunately anyone in the media children will look up to.
    He is a racist and a hypocrite.

He never won a final so he wasn't that great. :wavey:

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Alright...

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...it's funny when I define terms, because you assign your own meaning to the word?

Since when was discussing something rationally funny?

I find it sad that you'll make blanket statements about ethnicities and cover it up with, "It's OK, we're all racist..."

#51 rbell, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  12. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Excellent post! :thumbs:

I would add that the difference with Obama is OBAMA-- although it is possible that Colin Powell would have had a similar level of support. I personally know a young man who is working with the Obama campaign (some others of you may as well, of course), and I believe the grassroots effort of the Obama campaign--which shows tremendous leadership and dedication, by the way--is what accounts for EVERY skin-color of folks voting for the man. Whether any of us here in this discussion like him or not, it is certainly obvious that Obama is a charismatic speaker and inspirational to a public that is desperately wanting new, fresh leadership (not intending to slam Bush--just quoting polls there).

Living in the south, I can UNFORTUNATELY say that race IS still an issue with SOME people. I personally know some people (they are older white males) that wouldn't vote for ANY "person of color"--nor would they vote for a woman--and these people are shocked and disgusted by this year's election situation. I also know some hispanic people in the area here who wouldn't vote for Obama--simply because he is black. This IS racism, REAL racism...and these are personal, real experiences and knowledge of specific individuals. I don't have that personal knowledge of the motivation of a single black person.

There are many women who--at least until recently--were going to vote for Hillary (and publicly stated so) simply because she was a woman. Being female, I myself think that's stupid--I don't want to experience history in the making with HER as POTUS....and I would myself NEVER vote for someone just because they were male or female or undecided or white or black or green or purple. But, at the same time, I CAN understand the feeling of excitement that "well, YES, there was a real possibility that a woman might get elected to the presidency--WOW.".....and so I can kinda understand why that feeling would be magnified to the nth degree for the african-american community as they look at this potentiality. And, as Mr. Sutton so eloquently commented, it doesn't much seem like racism when you consider all the information.

Above all, it is sad that this discussion is even necessary, and especially that it can cause so much discord within the body of Christ. For we know that He sees not the color of our skin, but the "color" of our hearts. :1_grouphug:

13. mes228

mes228 New Member

Racist

My dear R-bell, I never said racism was O.K. I don't agree with it and am sure God doesn't. It is laughable that you will represent yourself here as being "not racist".
    Being delicate as I can, I'll just say that I don't believe that for a minute. And I hope you don't, as you most surely are to one degree or another. Perhaps you wish you were not, perhaps you fight it, perhaps you've come quite a ways toward not being so. If you really think you are not, then you are blind, as well as being racist. But you are. I think racism is really ugly, wrong, and do not embrace it with my mind or my heart. I guess you may be a man that thinks he "standeth" in the area of racism. The truth is revealed in this entire thread. Few here can even converse about the topic and not foam at the mouth, point the finger, and pretty much say "Oh my! You are awful, to say none of us are perfect". I never said anyone here is "overtly" racist or acts on it, and that's a good thing. I do however believe that there is a element of race in Obama's overwhelming support in the Black community.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

I appreciate your calling me a blind racist. Shows lots of class.

Having looked at some of your other posts, I feel sorry for you. You really seem to have a problem with race. Hope you get better.

I'm out...sorry I stepped back in.

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

thing is, mes, you seem to have the opinion that everyone has a struggle with racism - I don't believe that's true. It certainly is something that causes many people to stumble, but that doesn't mean that if a person declares himself not-racist then he must be hiding something or lying to himself. Some people really haven't got that problem....

There's probably "an" element of racism in his support - but there is in lots of elections. Some people vote for a candidate based on how gray his hair is or how nice his clothes are. I don't see it as a large element though.

Just about the only positive thing I can say about Obama is that he doesn't seem to be using the race-card - he in fact seems to be downplaying it.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Whether he is black, brown, chocolate, purple, polka-dotted or whatever makes no difference

I wanted like crazy for Colin Powell to run for President----and I'm white

I wanted like crazy for "Stormin'" Norman Swartscoft to run for President---and I'm white

I wanted like crazy to see a showdown between Little Miss Priss Hillary Clinton and Condalezza Rice---and I'd 'a voted for Condy in a New York Second----and I'm white

Race isn't the issue for me

What will become an issue is

if Obama wins the election will he take the oath of office with his hand on the Holy Scripture or will his hand be on the koran----THATS when it becomes an issue----but both white and black Americans are so stupid about each other---whether he makes the oath on the Truth from the Truth or whether he takes the oath on a bunch of false statements would really make no difference----God help us all when that happens!!!

#56 blackbird, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

IMO, it is!

It's just as racist to vote for a man because he is black than it is not to vote for a man who is black.

I am not voting for Obama, but it has nothing to do with his race. I wouldn't vote for him if he were white. I don't like his platform.

18. mes228

mes228 New Member

Obama

Obama, may make a great President. I surely hope so, as we need one with the problems we face as a nation. I'd like to ask the Moderator to close this thread. It's a non-productive topic. I only visited, as I have the Flu and and was bored. To all those that think they're not racist in any degree. I apologize for disturbing your slumber.

19. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Do you really think these things define black culture? So all blacks are criminals, alcoholics, gang members, thiefs, determined to bring down property values to spite you.......? It doesn't decribe any of the adult blacks I know, any more than the adult whites I know. You need to stop watching so much TV.

Sopranette

#59 Sopranette, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't buy into that, friend. Majority of whites are racist, some just don't know it, some know it but won't admit it, and some just plain know it and don't care.

There's a wee bit minority that truly are "color-blind". I hope their number grows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.