1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why KJV? #3, 4: The KJV has been read and examined by some great minds.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Alan Gross, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    from: Why I Use The KJV by Elder Milburn Cockrell - Sovereign Grace Landmark Baptist Pastor - Now In Glory

3.) The KJV has been read and examined by some great minds since 1611, and wherein it has weak translations these have been pointed out by men like, Henry, Pool, Trapp, Gill, Spurgeon, Pink, Graves, etc.

This is not true of any of these modern versions.

The examinations which have been made of these are limited, and they have resulted in unsatisfactory reports.

4.) The KJV has been the Bible of my Baptist fathers.

It is the one I have studied, memorized and preached from for 44 years.

It was the one being preached from when I was converted to Christ.

It was the Bible of the church that baptized me, and of the church and men who ordained me to the ministry.

It is the Bible I have heard preached all of my life.

I have no plans to throw my KJV away for some new version made by infidels from Catholic manuscripts.

2. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    texts
    The part of Rheims in the making of the English Bible
    The part of Rheims in the making of the English Bible : Carleton, James G. (James George), 1848-1918 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The part of Rheims (Catholic New Testament) in the making of the English Bible (KJV).
    The part of Rheims in the making of the English Bible : Carleton, James G. (James George), 1848-1918 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Cockrell makes an error here.

Gill, Pink, Graves, ect. used the English Bible that was avaliable to them. Great minds have also used other modern translations.

Another error is his reference to the Catholic Church. The KJV was based primarily on the Bishops Bible (the 1602 edition was the base for the KJV). BUT tge Bishops Bible and the KJV were products of the Church of England (which largely retained Roman Catholic Doctrine).

• Like Like x 1