1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why KJV? #5: I believe the KJV is a faithful translation of the preserved Word of God.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Alan Gross, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    from: Why I Use The KJV by Elder Milburn Cockrell - Sovereign Grace Landmark Baptist Pastor - Now In Glory

5.) I believe the KJV is a faithful translation of the preserved Word of God in Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.

It is the best we have for the English-speaking world in this generation.

As long as any translation follows the Textus Receptus and the Masoretic Hebrew text, they are inspired.

When they choose to do otherwise, they are in error.

This rule applies to the KJV as well as to others.

I believe that only the original autographs were perfect or inspired.

God has preserved His Word in Hebrew and Greek, but no translation has come down to us from inspired translators, and this includes the KJV.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this (a point some KJO and preferred miss).

We have to remember that all translations are translations of a source text into a target language. The criteria for accuracy is always the source, not the target.

While I wish the KJV translators had better sources and were not dependent on the Bishops Bible, it is a wonderful translation and demonstrates how God has preserved His Word throughout history and through the Textus Receptus and the Majority Text.

It shows that God does what man cannot. Whether we use the KJV, the NKJV, the NIV, ESV, or NASB (ect.) we hold God's Word.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True enough. But technically speaking the Textus Receptus is not the Majority Text. The Majority Text is a consensus of all manuscripts, whether all or just Byzantine ones (exception pericope adultera and Revelation). Sometimes the Textus Receptus follows a minority reading. The Textus Receptus usually follows the Majority Text reading. But it does not always do so. There are about a 1000 differences in English between the two.
    The Majority Text Compared to the Received Text

Here I give in English all translatable differences between the Hodges-Farstad "Majority Text" and the editon of the Received text compiled by F.H.A. Scrivener (representing the readings followed in the King James version). For each item I also indicate which other editors have preferred the "Majority Text" reading over the Received Text. See this page for an explanation of the abbreviations. —M.D.M

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the next question would be: WHICH TEXTUS RECEPTUS?
    There are literally hundreds of different textus receptii.
    That is one of the reasons that Erhard Nestle developed the Critical Text in 1898.

Rob

• Like Like x 1