1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHY No Meat On lent fridays

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John3v36, Mar 12, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I asked ten diffrent RC why Fish on Friday and I recieved 10 diffrent replys.

What is up. :confused:

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

You are more confused than you think. [​IMG]

Catholics are free to eat or not eat fish anytime, not just Fridays.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Abstinence of eating meat on Fridays has been long part of RC Tradition.

By doing so the RC reminds themself of the Lords suffering and crucifixion which was on a Friday.

This is just throughout the year, there are aditional obligations during Lent. These are not practised by Non Traditional Catholics due to the great juggernaut of the ecumenical movement.

Hope this helps..

4. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

No it doesn't Briony-Gloriana, What is the source of the Roman edict? And it is Roman as I understand, and not orthodox.

What is shows is a continuance of dark ages thinking and not something anyone has truly thought through!

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hi Yelsew2, I looked it up in the Catholic Encylopedia. Can't do addresses but you could find it in a search mode I hope. There is a lot of referencing re it all.

Some crank did not think this up or it would not have lasted a thousand odd years, I would guess.

Hope this gives some information, it just made this poor dumb broad's head spin....

6. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I was under the impression that eating fish on Friday was no longer mandantory for RC. I believe that was gotten rid of in the early '80s, or late '70s, along with the St. Christopher medal for travelers. Old Chris was thrown out of the Saint pool for some reason.

And now they can also eat meat on friday.

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

BRIONY,
    IF YOU CLICK ON THE "FULL REPLY FORM" BUTTON of the "quick reply" window, You will find some "INSTANT UBB CODE" buttons. one of them is called "URL" if you click on it you get a dialog box that already has the "http://" in it and you can simply type the rest of the URL (universal resource locator) of the website, or if you think ahead just a bit, you can "copy" the URL then paste into the dialog box. click OK and you have just created a link to the web site. Just make sure that there are no blank spaces, etc., or duplicates like "http://" or your link won't work.

Try the all the buttons, some times they are fun. When you see the "code" you will see that the controls come in pairs, one for the beginning of the effect and one at the end of the text that you wish to effect.

open quote is [ quote ] close quote is [ /quote ] but without the spaces that I inserted to show you.

The URL codes are [ url ] and [ /url ], again no spaces.

if you wish to create a bulleted list, start with [ list ] then for each bulleted item [ * ]. There is no close for a bulleted item, but to close the list you must add [ /list ] no spaces.

Try them you'll be amazed at the fun you can have.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Catholics think that Vatican II did away with the requirement of not eating meat on any Friday of the year. Most think it is now just Ash Wednesday and the Fridays of Lent that we cannot eat meat.

This is what the new Code of Canon Law brought out in 1983 says about the matter:

Canon 1251
    Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays!

Of course, most Episcopal Conferences have determined that, instead of abstaining from meat, Catholics may perform an act of penance of their choosing. But, do you ever remember to abstain from a particular food or do some other penance on Fridays? And, at any rate, the main rule is still to abstain from meat on Fridays, the performance of another penance instead is an optional alternative.

It's very interesting to note that the National Conference of Catholic Bishops (the United States' Episcopal Conference) is currently debating whether to rescind the determination and require all Catholics to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year. The Bishops are considering that a return to meatless Fridays for all Catholics would be of benefit because:

It is an expression of one's Catholicity and
    in reparation for the grave sin of abortion.

http://www.catholic-pages.com/life/fridaymeat.asp

9. frozencell

frozencell Guest

The use of the St. Christopher medal was strongly discouraged because of it's over-use. Many people were treating it as a good luck charm and that the saint, rather than God, was protecting them from harm, which we all no that no saint can personally keep us from harm without the Lord's intervention. Hope that helps clear that one up for you.

10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Howdy Dr Bob, how did the sin of abortion get into abstaining from meat on Friday?

Abortion is a thorny garden on its own and there are so many fors and againsts...

11. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Here's the cynics answer to why Catholics didn't eat meat (only fish) on Fridays!

Too many good Catholic fisherman were not making an adequate living - so as to be able to pay for indulgances!

Dan - remember I said this is the cynics view - please - no random shots in my direction! (Offered as in "food for thought")

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Um, is fish not an animal? So, isn't it meat too?

BTW, them Knights of Columbus sure can fry that fish during lent. MMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

13. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Thanks frozencell, that did clear up that St. Christopher thing!!!

Tam

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Direct quotation from the Vatican, so I really have no answer. Think meatless Friday is a "penance" (paying for my sin w/o Jesus) and part of my sin that I must do penance to pay for is the terrible sin of abortion.

15. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Wow, I never heard the abortion part before! How is abortion "our" sin if we have never voted for it or had one? Are they saying that Catholics can atone for other people's sins too??? This is quite confusing.

16. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

I know where it came from...the no meat on friday thing.

It's the result of the Butcher's union going on a four day work week, Monday through Thursday. The Catholic church couldn't find meat to serve on Friday!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

If fish is not meat wahst is it?

18. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Meaning no disrespect, but what difference does it make to you?

If Catholic's choose to abstain from meat (as Catholics define meat for that purpose) as a means of self disciple in order to draw closer to God by strengthening themselves to resist temptation to sin and to remind themselves to focus on the spiritual rather than the physical needs, what difference should it make to anyone?

If Catholics were to choose to dress in pink on every third Thursday as a reminder to themselves and to others to seek God, what would be gained by being critical of that?

All the criticism aimed at Catholics for choosing self sacrifice because they seek God, is absolutely dumbfounding to me. :confused:

19. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Fish is a "bloodless" meat, which is acceptable to eat on Fridays during Lent. I personally loathe fish, so I make other meatless dishes during Lent.

20. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sad thing about meatless Fridays, doing penance, and other imposed "requirements" is that they are just that - imposed. Doing a meatless Friday is a form of fasting, which we know the NT mentions and approves of. But as soon as that type of act is made a requirement, then it becomes the same as a child being told "because mommy says so", without ever really understanding or making personal the reason to do something. This is what got lost over the ages in the Catholic Church. The subtle move from doing or not doing something because of responding to God's grace from a regenerate heart, to doing or not doing something simply because the Church told you it was required or "good for you." That was not the intent, I'm sure, but for Catholics I grew up with, that is what happened.

My friends did treat their medals as good luck charms, and wore them for protection. It wasn't the saint or God that protected them, it was the medal.
    My friends felt they could do anything and it was OK, as long as they went to confession, and said the requested Hail Marys.
    They never made faith personal to the degree where Christ was invited in to change their lives, and give them a new perspective, like I was taught as a Baptist. In fact, "receiving Jesus" meant taking communion. But it had no more effect on their lives then crossing the street.