1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Not Join a Church as Conservative as a Conservative IFB One?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I joined a conservative IFB affiliated church about a year ago, after searching for an SBC affiliated church in Orlando. I know these aren't proper denominations, so please don't misunderstand. If your church is very conservative theologically, but outside the unaffiliated Baptists, I see you as similar.

I cannot be happier after leaving the division and unbiblical teachings I found in a few SBC affiliated churches I was in. A conservative IFB church seems to start far closer to the plain teachings of scripture than any SBC church I ever attended.

On the error of pop psychology as theology, on church discipline, on teaching scripture in context, on sermons that explain scripture rather than culturally relevant topics, on women teaching and leading men, on the problem of hyper Charismaticism. And more, that just doesn't come to mind right now, it just seems churches more conservative than what I found affiliated with the SBC are, to put it bluntly, better.

I put this in a way that may ruffle your feathers. I do so out of honesty. If you are ruffled, I hope you speak to what keeps you in your church? Is it a more moderate theology than the conservative IFB affiliated churches or something else?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It allows for us to use whatever translation we desire, open to Different viewpoints on Eschatology and salvation as in calvinism or not!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Soteriology being different. If you are at a Primitive Baptist church you are closer to IFB than what's common in the SBC, though.

I personally believe eschatology should be left to the individual, as someone put it to me. Kicking Spurgeon out of my church for being amillennial seems a bad idea.

I'm fortunate my IFB church allows for other translations than KJV. My go to's are NASB, ESV, and NKJV.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon held actually to Historical premil!

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in a conservative SBC church- and we are just as independent as any IFB church.

Over the past 50+ years, I have been a member of many baptist churches - SBC, GARBC, IFB, ect
    It really boils down that particular church. I have been in IFB that I had to get out - some because of the
    pastor - in those churches - the pastor was basically a dictator.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PB have what is considered a high end view of Calvinism also!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are only a few around here that I am aware of. Those are all cult like. The pastors all think they are Popes. They are all KJVO. They all have an administrative structure that guarantees the Pastor is the dictator answerable only to the board of deacons that the pastor hand picked and can remove at his will.

• Informative Informative x 2