1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why not the Local church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

The meeting at my house meets this requirement. Furthemore there is periodicity for this assemblying.

2. Inquiring Mind

I know enough to justify my position.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Apparently not, but thanks for playing.

If personal interpretation were enough, why did Calvin write, and revise thoughout his life, the Institutes? And why were he and Luther so dedicated to seeing that the fellowship of believers, that is, the church, was as a body[/i[ doctrinally pure?

4. Inquiring Mind

I really don't care nor do I want to know what else they believed or did not believe or profess about their other doctrines or beliefs. I fellowship with other people on a daily basis. I don't need the a phony local church with all of its phony rules and regulations.

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hahahaaaaa!

Perfect.

Rather than actually addressing the salient point, you pop up a few straw men and run.

Cute.

I think I'm done here, unless you have anything which addresses my last post directly.

6. Inquiring Mind

It's a suggestion, not a directive.

I have failed to enter into a church prior service and not hear the satan induced gossiping of women, not once.

Before service they are dogging out a person, then during the service they are saying "Amen". phony hogwash.

7. Inquiring Mind

Whatever makes you happy.

8. Inquiring Mind

Luther and Calvins other beliefs have no bearing on what I believe about Private Interpretation. I am not guided by Luther, Calvin, or you. I am guided by the Holy Spirit.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

And you know it's the Holy Spirit because you say it's the Holy Spirit.

Got it.

10. Inquiring Mind

You dare question whether one possesses the Holy Spirit or not? You are you to make that Judgement call?

I know it is the Holy Spirit because this sheep hears the shepards voice. God speaks to me thru his holy scripture.

11. Inquiring Mind

You doubt people are given the Holy Spirit?

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That isn't what I said, now, is it? Try again.

13. Inquiring Mind

Then what are you saying?

14. Inquiring Mind

That's like saying as well:

And you know you're saved because you say you're saved?

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Simply what I said.

You say you're being led by the Spirit, but have no way of checking the reality of that statement, as you eschew the company of other believers.

Two words, my friend: David Koresh.

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You first.

17. Inquiring Mind

I am saved.
    I am being saved.
    I will be saved.

The Holy Spirit abides in me because Christ abides in and I in Him.

I have the assurance of Permanant Salvation because I believe in Christ and Recogize that he died on the Cross for me. I am saved because I have called on Jesus. And Jesus answered. This sheep heard his voice.

What say you?

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Sounds like language borrowed from a denomination...

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So you're better? Sounds like a very superior attitude towards others.

Just because you may have had bad experiences in the past with churches (which I am guessing may be the reason for this attitude), does not justify looking down on the local church.

That church you are looking down on, if a Christian one, is part of the body of Christ, flaws and all.

Since Linda mentioned Harold Camping, I, too, wonder if you are a follower of Camping.

#39 Marcia, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2006
  20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thought I'd toss on my two santims worth. (One has no idea how difficult it is to find a new small coin of some nation each and every time I want to do this, Latvia in this instance.)

Matthew mentions a church, and implies some sort of local type due to church discipline.
    Acts mentions churches in various localities, including Antioch, Jerusalem, throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria, churches in Cicilia, and Syria, a church in Ephesus, as well as implying a church in Caesarea, meeting in the home of Philip.
    Romans is written to a church in a location as well as the Corinthian epistles, churches in Galatia, Ephesians, (which we've already mentioned) Phillipi, Colossae, church of the Thessalonians, the church that met with Philemon, a church in Laodecia is mentioned in Colossians, Hebrews mentions a church, James mentions a church, Peter mentions a church, II John and III John both mention churches, and Revelation speaks of seven churches. In addition, as well as mentioning 'church', in I Timothy, both I Timothy and Titus give qualifications for Elder or Bishops in a church.

Every one of these seems to speak of a church in some location or locations, and this list is just off the top of my head. (No, I didn't blow a cork, or blow my stack, here, contrary to what some might think.)

Let's review. Out of 27 books in the NT, at least 20 speak in some way of a church in some location. Way I got it figured, that's 74% of the NT books that seem to have some concern regarding a church in a location. I'd say that regardless of what you or I happen to think, the Divine Author (God, the Holy Spirit) and the human writers of the NT saw this as important.

And six of the nine authors of the NT; Matthew, Luke, Paul, Apollos, James, and John speak of a church. That's 2/3 as well. (And it's my post, so I can claim Matthew, Luke and Apollos as authors, even though none of the three are specifically spoken of as the authors of Matthew, Luke and Acts, and Hebrews.):laugh: :laugh: :thumbs:

I happen to live in a mostly rural area with a county population of some 18,000. There are at least 75 local churches in this county that I can count. I figure that probably I can find one to get along with, for the most part. I figure if I can't, I'm probably the one with the problem. Anyone else can make his or her own decision on this for themselves.

Ed

#40 EdSutton, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2006