1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why not

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Jan 27, 2007.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

why not.
    why not keep the sabbath.
    why not keep it holy.

why.
    why keep the sabbath.
    why keep it holy.

no.
    no my question to all is this.
    why not keep the sabbath.
    why not.

is there something wrong with keeping the sabbath.
    is it too hard to keep is why you do not keep it.
    why not.

what about the sabbath do you not want to keep.
    it is a day of rest.
    do you not want to rest.

why not?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

A day of rest is fine, I suppose.

There are those of us, however, who have to work two jobs, at least, to make ends meet. Will God send me to Hell for working on Sunday (or, I suppose, Saturday)? I think not, and if you disagree, I don't really care.

"Sabbathkeeping," too, degrades too often into simply an argument over what day we're supposed to go to church.

To be honest, I no longer want to listen to the argument.

3. standingfirminChrist

If one's job consistantly keeps one from being in the sanctuary on Sunday, Saturday, or Whatever Day the doors are open, one has the wrong job.

We are coomanded to assemble together. If one values one's job, home, family, material possessions more than fellowship amongst believers in the sanctuary, if one vallues all these things more than hearing the Word, one better have a talk with the Lord.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

So a person should let his family starve, but be in church.

Got it.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that if one holds one day above the rest, or not, it is between that person and God. That is my understanding from the Bible. As Christians, we should live our lives as to worship and glorify God in all that we do.

That said, we should not avoid assembling and worshiping together. It is vital to Christian growth to fellowship in the Church.

I suppose the “why not” is something that one should consider and pray about, but ultimately it is between the individual and God. Some may be led to change vocations, while others may be lead to a realization that they are serving God in their current job. I’m not in that circumstance, and it is not up to me to define another Christian’s devotion based on church attendance.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Because I am a Christian, not a Jew.

7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I was gonna say the same thing.

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

My daughter asked me what I would do if I got the job at the hospital and had to work on the sabbath. Well heres what I was shown...

Matt. 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
    Matt. 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

I guess when it comes to the sick theres no excuse not to help them and shouldn't use the sabbath as an excuse not to help. The Lord knows our heart. Although I guess that some jobs would be questionable as to if you should work them or not. I guess you need to know where to draw the line?

9. standingfirminChrist

Even a hospital, if it keeps you from assembling as the Word of God commands, is the wrong place to work if it has you working every time the church doors are open.

Yes, we are commanded to take care of those who are weak, but we are also told to assemble together.

Why, 20 years ago, many stores and businesses were not even open on the Lord's Day!

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

I guess that depends on how you view your job. If your job is simply something you do to aquire material possessions or even provide for your family then you may have a point.

However, if you job is a calling from God, if it is the way you fulfill his will, minister to believers, and reach the lost with the gospel of Christ then you don't. Doing my job well and in a way that brings glory to God is part of his calling for my life. We are commanded to assemble together. We are also commanded as servants to obey our masters.
    Obedience to God is more important than the "fellowship amongst believers in the sanctuary."

music4him, if God has called you to minister to the sick and you are following that calling I would not worry about missing a service or two, God knows where you are.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

Standing Firm would never call 911 for police or fire service on his holy day? Does he walk to church or drive? He shouldn't expect to take a bus, right?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My father spent the last 3 months of his life in the hospital. He was 75 years old and accepted the Lord 3 weeks before he died, after being witnessed to by a nurse. His salvation occured on a Sunday. The nurse was also a member of my church and immediately after his conversion she called the pastor and told him what had happened (the pastor had been visiting him several times a week). He then announced it to the church in the morning service and the whole church rejoiced even though they did not know my father. He had never been to the church. The nurse worked weekends so that she could be home with her children during the week. Her husband took care of the children on weekends. Did the nurse sin by working on Sunday? If so, thank the Lord, because now my father is in heaven because a Christian woman was there to lead him to salvation.
    :godisgood:

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several vocations that require one to miss regular church attendance. I was unable to attend any type of service for over a year because of my job.

14. standingfirminChrist

The nurse apparently values her job and her children more than the command to assemble together. If she led your dad to the Lord, that is wonderful, but if she is not in church, getting fed the Word as commanded, she can't be equipped fully and must be spiritually weak.

Church is important in the Believer's life. They are strengthened through the Word of God and fellowship of other Believers.

Hospitals are important, Fire Stations, Police are all important, but if one works every time the church door is open, one is not getting fed the spiritual food that is more important.

Moses wrote, 'unto Him shall the gathering of the people be'. The Psalmist wrote, 'I was glad when they said unto me, let us go unto the house of the Lord,' and 'The zeal of Thine house hath eaten me up'.

Do people truly love the Lord today? If so, why make excuses to stay away from the sanctuary? The Sanctuary must be a part of the life of the Child of God. It is mentioned 137 times throughout the Word of God, so it must be important.

#14 standingfirminChrist, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

SFiC

So what would recomend a police officer, nurse, fire fighter, do. Should they quit their jobs. Or are those jobs only for the unsaved.

We are not talking about people who are making excuses to stay away from church. Talking about people whos jobs require them to be at work on Sundays and Wed nights.

Remember who keeps you safe while you are in church enjoying the relitive safety of your community.

16. standingfirminChrist

I have several police friends and some who work at hospitals. They ask to be shuffled in the work so they don't have to work each and every time the doors to church are open. There are avenues to take to make it to church... if one truly wants to go to church. If the job refuses to shuffle the schedule to accomodate one's attending chur h services at least a few times a month, then that job is not worth keeping.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

SFIC, I didn't say my dad's nurse never went to church. She attended weds. nights and an occasional Sunday, but I thought we were talking about missing church on Sundays. That's why I used her as an example. I thank God for her. The Lord put her in the right place at the right time.

18. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Apparently, this wonderful nurse spent enough time in church to be equipped to share the Gospel with your father. I too am thankful to God that He had her there to share, and that His view and her view is not that of the narrow-minded here.

:godisgood:

Bro Tony

19. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thank you, Amy, for that powerful testimony. A new name was written down in glory, hallelujah! God put that nurse in the right place at the right time. Jesus paid it all, all to him I owe. Your testimony is worth sharing world-wide, so that all brothers and sisters in Christ may rejoice!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

20. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Any department in a large city will not shuffle a schedule. The new Officers get the Sunday work. That goes double in a community where the majority of people go to church on Sunday like the one I live in.

If there was any shuffleing going on in Utah. Who do you think would get the Sundays off. The Mormon or the Baptist.

So I guess you are saying that Baptists should not be in law enforcement, medical or Fire here. Very judgemental of you.