1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why o why?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Arubian Baptist, May 30, 2003.

1. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

Pastor Bob said the following:
    I find it so sad to see the discussion What use is an English Bible Version for those who can't read English? being closed.

My question...why???

Pastor Bob, you said that you might edited at least or delete entire post. Now Mister Johnn V and I were having a good time with al kind of arguments, without getting in a personal attack...now some might have started to argue and started namecalling, but why did you not edited their postings or deleted their postings, or at least called their attention of them breaking the rules? Why must the entire discussion be closed, now you closed the whole discussion and took the opportunity from Johnn V and I to have a fair argument where we both could have learned from.

To me the step you took, was too harsh, I did see this on some other treads too, instead of correcting, whole topics are just being closed...giving others who are at least trying to behave no chance to continue the discussion...

A humble but dissapointed servant...

:(

Added part: I wonder what the opinions from others are? Try editing first, or close topics rightaway?

[ May 30, 2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Arubian Baptist ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that sometimes in forums I moderate (I was moderator on this Forum a couple of years ago) the discussions get too heated and too much "dross" so that the only solution is not to start editing or chiding, but simply a "lock down" mentality.

Think that happens with great frequency on this Forum and its rowdy inmates.

p.s. I would consider using the p.m. feature and just carry on a private debate with whomever you choose . . rather than clutter up the entire forum with a personal debate.

3. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

Hey, another Bob [​IMG]

Thank you for your reply/thought...

So if I understood it good, you are saying that because of bad experiences in the past, they close the topic whenever it seems it will go in a wrong direction?

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having seen the same pattern play out over and over, the moderator probably did the right thing... although I had some things I would have liked to have added.

It is almost impossible to edit in a thread that reaches that point since either side will feel that the moderators are acting out of bias. I have felt that way before when I felt that relatively tame posts of mine were edited while more egregious violations by KJVO's were let stand.

While I think my comments were justified, I started the decline of that particular thread. No matter what one's position is, it is in fact dishonest to twist and distort someone else's words to make them mean something that was not intended. I am not immune. It is a tantalizingly effective tactic that I make a conscious effort to avoid because it is not honest.

My contention with FFF on that particular point was not his disagreement with the NASB but with the dishonest tactic he employed in an effort to impugn them.