1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Piper Doesn't Shoot at Fundamentalists

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son sent this to me from John Piper's blog at: http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1251_20_reasons_i_dont_take_potshots_at_fundamentalists/

20 Reasons I Don't Take Potshots at Fundamentalists
    June 2, 2008 | By: John Piper

1. They are humble and respectful and courteous and even funny (the ones I've met).
    2. They believe in truth.
    3. They believe that truth really matters.
    4. They believe that the Bible is true, all of it.
    5. They know that the Bible calls for some kind of separation from the world.
    6. They have backbone and are not prone to compromise principle.
    7. They put obedience to Jesus above the approval of man (even though they fall short, like others).
    8. They believe in hell and are loving enough to warn people about it.
    9. They believe in heaven and sing about how good it will be to go there.
    10. Their "social action" is helping the person next door (like Jesus), which doesn't usually get written up in the newspaper.
    11. They tend to raise law-abiding, chaste children, in spite of the fact that Barna says evangelical kids in general don't have any better track record than non-Christians.
    12. They resist trendiness.
    13. They don’t think too much is gained by sounding hip.
    14. They may not be hip, but they don’t go so far as to drive buggies or insist on typewriters.
    15. They still sing hymns.
    16. They are not breathless about being accepted in the scholarly guild.
    17. They give some contemporary plausibility to New Testament claim that the church is the “pillar and bulwark of the truth.”
    18. They are good for the rest of evangelicals because of all this.
    19. My dad was one.
    20. Everybody to my left thinks I am one. And there are a lot of people to my left.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other compliments for Fundamentalists:

The Fundamentalists say: "Dissolve the fundamental doctrines of the Christian religion and there is no Christian Church, there is no Christian civilization." In their general position and claim, I think the Fundamentalists are right! Indeed, I wish to insist that they are right; for it is only by insisting that they are right in their claim that we shall know where we stand regarding the fundamentals of particular religions and the fundamentals of religion. --J. Hutton Hynd

"I am sure you will agree that the Fundamentalists are right in their insistence that there must be some fundamental fact on which the Christian Church must have a foundation, without which the Church cannot fail to drift away and dissolve." --Leighton Parks

"The fundamentalists are right in thinking that assiduously acquired knowledge is often a positive burden on spontaneous, creative, spiritual life." --Harry Emerson Fosdick

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Jerome. Wow, a compliment from Fosdick, too! :applause:

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Warms the heart to be spoken of so kindly eh John?:wavey:

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, for once! :laugh: :wavey:

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Although he stands a little to the left of me on some issues, I thank God for John Piper. He is one of the great wise men of our generation.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Piper Response

JoJ,

It is good to see you " are alive and kicking!"

I will tell you another reason Piper "does not knock" the Fundamentalists; he recognizes truth whenever and wherever he sees it.

It seems to me that all of us could use that principle for the greater good of the Gospel in whatever true iteration of Christ's church or organization where we worship and serve. AMEN?

I saw the same article myself. I have been doing some book reviews for Sharper Iron (SI.org) and I sent the article over to them and suggested that they post it for discussion but I have not seen it show up yet.

Please pray for the SBC just now. We have just passed a Resolution at last week's convention having to do with Regenerate Church Membership and the accurate reporting of numbers amongst the SBC churches, agencies, etc. We can all use a dose of the truth is seems to me.

"That is all!"

#7 Rhetorician, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While my theology is different from Piper's, I appreciate his effort to increase interest in obeying the Great Commission through his book, Let the Nations be Glad.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet.

I saw your name pop up at SI. Nice to see your input there. There is a thread now about Piper's article under "Filings," so you can pat yourself on the back! :thumbs:

It will be great in Heaven when all the labels are gone, amen? Though they do serve a certain purpose here on earth.

I find it fascinating that the SBC finds the need for a resolution on regenerate church membership. I'm not sure I understand all of that. Since a Baptist distinctive is a regenerate church membership, it seems to me that just to say "Baptist" is enough!

God bless.

John