1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Primitive Baptist and Old regular baptist don't use instrumental music

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, May 12, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats right & he CHS had his personal choices too:

Had I no conscientious objection to instrumental music in worship, I should still, I
    think, be compelled to admit that all the instruments that were ever devised by man,
    however sweetly attuned, are harsh and grating compared with the unparalleled
    sweetness of the human voice.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

First, I'm surprised that no one has brought up Revelation, which shows multiple uses of musical instruments -- gasp -- right before the throne of GOD! So, clearly there ARE cases of instrumental worship in the NT.

Second, the argument used above is an argument from silence. We have a very clear use of musical instruments of all types in the OT and that is bookended by instrumental use before God's throne in heaven. Silence between these bookends where instruments are clearly used ought not be taken as a "no instruments" doctrine, which is why most churches DO use musical instruments.

Third, I would suggest a lack of musical instrument use may be for the same reasons we don't always have instruments (or all of them) in our churches -- a mere lack of players and available instruments.

Rev 5:8-9 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,

Rev 8:2 Then I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them.

Rev 14:2-3 And I heard a voice from heaven like the roar of many waters and like the sound of loud thunder. The voice I heard was like the sound of harpists playing on their harps and they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth.

Rev 15:2-3 And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire--and also those who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name, standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands. And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, "Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations!

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You missed my quote, am I on the ignore list or something?:tear::laugh:

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon's last word on the topic, shortly before his death:

From a Jan. 1892 letter, account of one of his last services, at which Mrs. Spurgeon played the piano:eek: and he preached.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so what if you gots no money for a piana?

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Fiddle, since many Baptist like to fiddle around any how's. :laugh:

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

By saying, "it often destroys the singing of the congregation," isn't Spurgeon admitting that instruments are often used in the sanctuary?

8. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

Reading through this brought to mind a Question:

How would one know the tune (or melody, harmony etc) of a song without music or the tune given in musical notes if one never used instruments of any kind?

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See, I think these folks do use musical instruments at their hoedowns, barn dances, or what have you; just not at their churches.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The songs are done in line......have you ever seen this? hope I'm not being insensitive to you by answering in this manner? If I am just let me know & I will try to be better! :smilewinkgrin:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I reckon, on rare occasions when their not makin moonshine & feuding with one another, they're listen to the radio in the parlor.:D

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, for one, know what you mean, and know that you are sincere with this statement. It's an odd thing; if the Old Baptists are guilty of anything, it's simply that they refused to change; thus the derogatory title, 'Hardshell'; implying obstinacy on their part. I suspect that at least some of the flak on this thread will arise, not from a perceived attack on anyone's way of worship, but from a perceived attack on the livelihoods of those who are paid for their musical skills.

Thank you for the kind words MK. It was not the a capella singing that attracted me to the Old Baptists; in fact, it was a non issue at the time. However, a piano or an organ now seems to be a blaring interference to the sound of the purest of music, the human voice. And like OUB, I'm not attacking anyone's form of worship.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

To me it isn't the instruments it is not having a volume switch on some of them. The people have in many cases forgotten the menaing of the word accompanyment.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Whoops! :smilewinkgrin:

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Bring ear plugs if you visit our church... :wavey:

Back in the 60s, they often said, "If the music is too loud, you are too old..." I'm fairly sure our musicians are there.

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I was brought in the 60's and 70's and I don't like rock and roll music and never have. It gives me a headache and it was too loud back then. Of course my favorite music to listen too other than christian music is classical, Bach, Beetovan and the like. So you can imagine how this new load stuff affects me.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO!!!!

This is at least half of my objection to "modern" Christian music.

The other half is the ridiculous repeating of a phrase 10-15 times! No wonder the nickname of this style is "7-11" - take 7 words and repeat 11 times.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptist churches, in refusing the use of instrumental music in worship, do not do so just to be peculiar. To them, it is not a matter of expediency, but an issue of principle. They believe that no religious problem is rightly solved by the criteria of personal preferences, individual tastes, or human wisdom, but by the supreme authority of Jesus Christ expressed in the New Testament. They have reverently and humbly sought out the correct answer to the all-important question: Does Jesus Christ authorize the use of instrumental music in the worship of God? Their objective investigation of the divine word has produced the conclusion that there is neither command, precept, nor example for the worship of God by the use of instrumental music during the New Testament dispensation. Therefore, they sincerely believe that the practice of instrumental music in the worship service is a departure from the divine plan.

19. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

and we Old regular baptist as well:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Sheep

I myself believe David alone watching the sheep on the Sabbath in his youth, his worship service could contend with any service today. The shepherd was consider the low, because you couldn't go to the sabbath service. I wonder how his service was by himself?

#40 psalms109:31, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011