1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHY SHOULD GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by 4-christ, Mar 29, 2004.

1. 4-christ

4-christ New Member

When America took out almost everything dealing God,such as the 10 commendments, prayer in school. And trying to take under God out of the pledge. Also , when America is allowig gay marriages. We were founded upon God! and with out god we would not have An America. Listen America If things do not change then the wrath of God shall come. It also states in tha a nation who forgets God shall be turned into hell. but I think it says something like that . Wake up America before comes back again. :confused:

2. uhdum

uhdum New Member

It is truly remarkable that as sinful as we are, we still have the audacity to sing, "God bless America." After 9/11, that's all we heard... this beloved song sung over and over.

According to Scripture, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." America only claims the name of God when tragedy strikes (as many of us do in our daily lives). Before God blesses us, perhapse we should bless Him with our lives and service.

3. onestand

onestand New Member

No one can take God away from anything. They can make it so you can't pray, read your bible or even wittness in public...BUT, if Jesus Christ is in you then they cannot take God out of where you are.

You can't take God away from me
    You can take my life, my land, my liberty
    You can lock me up, I'll still be free
    But you can't take God from me.

4. KimS

KimS New Member

What makes my head spin is that so many people said that God "abandoned" America during the attack on September 11. Seems to me it was the other way around.

Kim

5. superdave

superdave New Member

You have probably all heard the phrase, "America is great because America is good" Alexis DeToqueville or some other french guy I think.

More accurate would be that America is great because God is good.

I have no problem singing God Bless America because it does embody what America needs, the grace of God. Certainly the answer is not more good Americans!

How long will God continue to bless a nation that refuses to acknowlege him? Maybe there is a reason it is difficult to see any signs of a powerful America in Biblical escatology

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So long as there are Americans who acknowlege Him, then America is acknowleging Him. We SHOULD NOT insist that the government do what we as a PEOPLE should be doing. When we do so, we're simply sluffing off our responsibility.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I asked you in another post what you were referring to, and you ignored me.

Again, in another thread, I replied that we were founded upon the premise of "no taxation without representation". I also said that the colonists were founding settlements for the purpose of religious freedom. Many of the early colonists thought the other colonies were heretical. Yet, as with the previous point, you failed to respond, and you ignored me.

Sounds to me like you just want to grandstand, rather than have a conversation.

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Johnv I agree,
    I was not referring to Government, but to the lack of people in our nation who truly are followers of God. Are you saying that Americans for the most part do follow God?

If Americans continue to follow God only in outward expressions of dead religious ritual, and not as true disciples of Christ, than why would God bless them, or the political entity that is the US of A, certainly not because we deserve it. The point of my first post was that God's common grace is the only reason for America being blessed, and because it has been God's will to shower America with his blessing, not because of any goodness on the part of Americans

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I certanly concur.

That's difficult to say, because we Christians are a fickle bunch. When someone engages in good works, we accuse them of false doctrine. When someone who is a Christian doesn't wear it on his/her sleeve, we accuse them of being lukewarm. When someone DOES shout it from the rooftops, we accuse them of being disingenuous. It's tough being a Christian in the US. Not because of the non-believing, but often because of other believers. Jesus often talks about persons doing the Father's will and keeping it to themselves, even telling us to pray in private, with the door closed behind us. Only God knows a person's heart.

I'll tell you one thing. I saw a lot of people doing the Father's work after 9-11, and many of them weren't even Christians.

You certainly make a good case. We'd rather grandstand about the words "Under God" in the pledge, instead of putting those words in our hearts.