1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why So Much Education?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If a person is called by the Lord to become a physician, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called by the Lord to become a teacher, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called by the Lord to become an attorney, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called to be a veterenarian... well, I think you get the idea. Receiving a calling from the Lord to be in the ministry is the beginning of one's life of service, not the end.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Example:

"Bill, this is God. Go to seminary."

Again just an example.
    He might do it in any number of ways. I don't pretend to know how God speaks to people. I do know some who claim they do hear an audible voice.

I think also events may happen that are clear God is showing you a direction. I find this has been how God has spoken to me.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John I don't follow.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A person called to the ministry needs to equip himself. Seminary is probably the best way a person called to the ministry can equip himself.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John I agree as long as he is getting this direction from God.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

Surely you jest. [​IMG]

{QUOTE]Again just an example.
    He might do it in any number of ways. I don't pretend to know how God speaks to people. I do know some who claim they do hear an audible voice.

I think also events may happen that are clear God is showing you a direction. I find this has been how God has spoken to me.
    [/QUOTE]

If God has given you the conviction that you are to go into the ministry, and if that conviction has been confirmed by believers who know you best, then you are called to get the best training available. Find an untrained pastor (or a trained one, for that matter) who fails to read and study and you will find a congregation ignorant of the simplest teachings of Scripture.

Bill

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I never said for a pastor to not "to read and study". But that is different than going to seminary.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, absolutely. In fact, whatever we are doing in our lives, especially in our chosen professions, I certainly hope we're doing it because we feel so directed. What person would want to spend 8 hours a day, five days a week, for their entire adult lives doing something unless they felt called by God. Then again, I know a few people who fit into this category.

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I would hope the president of a seminary would state pastors need to go to seminary.

Again I agree if God directs it. I do not necessaryliy agree that a call to pastor is an automatic call to seminary.

11. here now

here now Member

It was called The School of the Disciples. You remember that he did teach and prepare them. Of course, since Christ was the Master Teacher, He did a much more efficient job than we do today but that's the way it is! ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Paidagogos,
    You're right HE did do a much more efficient job than WE do today. BUT, the TRUTH is still revealed by HIM through the HOLY GHOST. SO, it is HE Who is teaching and preparing.

Although I'm sure that some professors in the seminaries are called of God , I am just as sure their are many who are not.

12. here now

here now Member

If a person is called by the Lord to become a physician, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called by the Lord to become a teacher, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called by the Lord to become an attorney, why does he need to go to school?

If a person is called to be a veterenarian... well, I think you get the idea. Receiving a calling from the Lord to be in the ministry is the beginning of one's life of service, not the end.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Johnv,
    The professions you have stated above are all fleshly occupations. Being a true minister of God is a Spiritual thing.

The Holy Ghost does not teach anyone how to be a doctor, teacher, attorney or veternarian. But He does teach the True minister.

13. Charles E.Smith

Charles E.Smith New Member

I am certainly not against a pastor having a bible college or seminary education but I do not believe that one MUST have them to be a pastor. Also someone brought up the Methodists and Presbyetarians requiring a seminary education; Well both of those denominations have a shortage of pastors. My brother in law is a Presbyetarian minister and there are many PCUSA churches in rural areas that have trouble finding a pastor because after 8 years of schooling there would rather go to a metropolitan area then a rural area. The Methodists have a solution where someone can pastor a church in a rural area with just a bible college education but even then 1 pastor pastors 3 or 4 churches. I personally think that in most situations a pastor should at least have a bible college education,but I place a seminary degree in the catagory of something nice to have,but not vital to being a pastor.

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Surely you jest. [​IMG]

{QUOTE]Again just an example.

</font>[/QUOTE]If God has given you the conviction that you are to go into the ministry, and if that conviction has been confirmed by believers who know you best, then you are called to get the best training available. Find an untrained pastor (or a trained one, for that matter) who fails to read and study and you will find a congregation ignorant of the simplest teachings of Scripture.

Bill
    [/QUOTE]

How does God speak to you?
    I can not agree that a call to ministry is automaticlly a call to seminary.

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

There is a strong Biblical argument that knowledge of God's Word is not best obtained individually and in a vacuum--it is under the tutelage of spiritual men. What good books do you read and study? How do you know? One needs guidance and direction in his study. Left to himself, a man can arrive at a multitude of heresies. This has been the story of the origin of many cults. We need the teaching and supervision by godly men who have been taught by other godly men. This is seminary. It’s Paul’s recommendation (II Timothy 2:2).

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I am somewhat unclear on this issue. Would you please enlighten me by answering the following questions?
    (1) How do you know it is God?
    (2) Where is the Scriptural teaching that God speaks to us in this way. I'm not looking for examples that may or may be operant today (e.g. God causing [a donkey] to speak although........well, let's leave that one alone.)
    (3) Does God give us circumstances to test us? If so, how do we know when the circumstance is intended to deter us or to teach us perserverance?
    (4) How do we know the audible voice is God's? Spiritists claim to hear audible voices at seances. What's the difference? How do we know?

Thanks.

[ January 25, 2006, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

How do you know when the direction is from God? How do you know it is not one's own desire or some familiar spirit?

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Are you an apostle too?

19. buckster75

buckster75 Member

What does that have to do with anything? Your question might lead some to think you deny that I have what the Bible says I do have. And since you did not capitalize apostle then by the definition I can say I am. "one sent" missionary. Unless you want to claim the Commission was only for those physically watching Jesus.

20. buckster75

buckster75 Member

How do you know when the direction is from God? How do you know it is not one's own desire or some familiar spirit? </font>[/QUOTE]I only have one ruling and guiding Spirit. {SNIP}

[ January 27, 2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]