1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why So Much Education?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 21, 2006.

1. here now

here now Member

I would hope that all ministers are God called also. But, it's safe to say that not all are. I actually will go so far as to say, turn on your tv and if you get certain stations you will run across a few there.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John,
    Who decides what is "less equipped and less approved."

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Who decides what is fully equipped and fully approved? Many who denounce formal education of pastors have no problem saying such a pastor is fully equipped and fully approved, yet when the opposite point is raised, it's "who says?"

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John, I have said from the beginning for a person to get the education if God tells them. Now you brought up "less equipped and less approved". So I asked you how that could be determined.
    Your post may lead some to think that I "denounce formal education of pastors" and again I never did that.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I would hope that all ministers are God called also. But, it's safe to say that not all are. I actually will go so far as to say, turn on your tv and if you get certain stations you will run across a few there. </font>[/QUOTE]Interesting here now that those you speak of on tv most likely got the furthur education.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Round and round it goes and where it stops, nobod...!
    Ed

7. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I would refer you back to my target analogy. If God's "bulls-eye" for an individual is NO FORMAL TRAINING then that's the correct path for him. If you or any other human judge that individual to be "less equipped and less approved" as a result then your are condemning God's will.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That is why I used the word "may". In fact, I emphasized that word to make it clear that it's not a mandate.

9. here now

here now Member

I would hope that all ministers are God called also. But, it's safe to say that not all are. I actually will go so far as to say, turn on your tv and if you get certain stations you will run across a few there. </font>[/QUOTE]Interesting here now that those you speak of on tv most likely got the furthur education. </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Buckster,
    That has certainly been the case from my observation.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hey Y'all,

Some of the best preachin I ever did hear came from what you folk call the uneducated. Why they ain't spoilt with all that learnen. They just open the Good Book and the Spirt just a leads them. Praise God!

Now one person I met up here in the north (Nebraska) shared with me that there was nothing to preaching and pastoring. You just down load a sermon and read it to the congregation. Praise Jesus!

Yep, with folks like these, just any old pastor will do.

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul33,

Sometime its a hard to know when you'uns is funnin' us all Paul! HA!

sdg!

rd

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I think you just did something VERY VERY wrong. I see that this post of yours is mocking and ridiculing. To use "Praise God" and "Praise Jesus" is not some thing I find to joke about or include in your joke. But I'm sure you can find friends of yours here to laugh right along with you. But brother God is not laughing!

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I think that God has a sense of humor, but hey, that's another thread!

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Galatians 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. 7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Matthew 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

I like a joke as much as anyone but brother let us not take things so far.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is one of the great assets of knowing the professors.

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

A comment by the great learned Baptist theologian John Gill is appropriate here, I think.

Gill wrote:

"Here I cannot but observe the amazing ignorance and stupidity of some persons, who take it into their heads to decry learning and learned men;(emphasis added) for what would they have done for a Bible, had it not been for them as instruments? and if they had it, so as to have been capable of reading it, God must have wrought a miracle for them; and continued that miracle in every nation, in every age, and to every individual; I mean the gift of tongues, in a supernatural way, as he bestowed upon the apostles on the day of Pentecost; which there is no reason in the world ever to have expected. Bless God, therefore, and be thankful that God has, in his providence, raised up such men to translate the Bible into the mother-tongue of every nation, and particularly ours; and that he still continues to raise up such who are able to defend the translations made, against erroneous persons, and enemies of the truth; and to correct and amend it in lesser matters, in which it may have failed, and clear and illustrate it by their learned notes." http://www.the-faith.org.uk/gill_bt.html

17. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, the Old Regular Baptists believe you should neither study nor give it any forethought but get it straight down through the rafters as God gives it to you. Some preach with a hand cupped behind the ear as if listening to the audible voice of God. I've heard some amazing error propogated in this fashion.

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

That is one of the great assets of knowing the professors. </font>[/QUOTE]The face-to-face contact is the one element missing from distance education. IMHO, students learn much more than intellectual content in seminary. Anyone doing seminary at a distance needs intensive mentoring by an experienced, local man of God.

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We have pretty well said enough on this, and this is getting redundant. Reprise the theme song and roll the credits.

[ January 27, 2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: TomVols ]