1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Sunday can NOT be the Lord's Day

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. wopik

wopik New Member

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Seth3,
    Are we 'free' to see it any which way we like? I think we are free to see it Scripturally. One thing is Scripturally sure, that the Bible itself, knows NO "literally spiritual" 'Sabbath'; the Bible doesn't know the concept of 'the eighth day', and it doesn't know the whim of a 'seventh period' or anything of the kind. The Bible has "literally natural" Sabbath - 'ceremonial' or the 'creation'- Sabbath. And they ALL, in Christ and through Christ, came be fulfilment in this ONE EVENT: His resurrection from the dead "In Sabbath's-time" - that is, in literally natural Sabbath Day's-time, for it is written: "In the Sabbath's fulness of light's splendour", when descended an angel and opened the grave of Jesus who at that moment had risen from the dead. OF THIS THE BIBLE-SABBATHS SPOKE AND PROMISED THROUGH ALL THE MILLENNIA SINCE CREATION TO CHRIST. The First Day of the week has had NOTHING OF THIS.
    Gerhard

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Seven pages... is the "sunday" issue not a dead horse that has been thoroughly beaten?

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not at all, for as long as that beaten horse lives and thrives on the claimed fact of the resurrection of LIFE from the dead "on the First Day of the week", giving it the only and every reason for being the Christian day of Worship-Rest.
    Unless and untill the LIE of this claim for Sunday stays alive, the Sabbath will stay deprived and robbed of its very life-principle - God's ending and finishing and completing and perfecting of His creation and redemption "ON THE SEVENTH DAY" - "thus spoken" of -Hb.4:4, and awaited from the beginning when it "was made" -Mk.2:27 - yet ridiculed through "unbelief" and disobedience.
    Gerhard Ebersoehn

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Okay, show me in scripture where the day we refer to as Saturday is the actual day of the scriptural "seventh day". While you're at it, show me where the Sabbath Day that the OT Jews observed was the actual day of the genesis 1 "seventh day".

You won't find it. Do you know why? Because people began observing the seven day calendar week long after Genesis 1. The last day of the week REPRESENTS the seventh day of Genesis 1, and that's all. Making this representational observance into more that it is comes from a heart of legalism, which perverts scripture in intent and message.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Truly the Sabbath had been beaten to death by the same stick - the "LAW"!
    Gerhard

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First a small correction: Not "by" the same stick, but "with" it. Thanks.

Now for this post of yours, Johnv,
    I as everybody else have only one resource that leads back to the beginnings of God's creation, and that is its Creator, who happened to come and visit us here on earth two thousand years ago, and He had no doubts about which day was the Seventh Day of the week! Then after He had left, His Church became the guardian of that Day, and God's own jealousy - His providential CARE for this Day - for HE of course pronounced Himself "Lord of the Sabbath Day". Now also since nobody ever has a problem with knowing which day is the First Day of (creation) week, how come they have difficulty with knowing which day is the Seventh Day? That to me sounds rather stupid.
    Gerhard

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then again I may return your question, and ask, show me in scripture where the day we refer to as Saturday is NOT the actual scriptural "seventh day"; show me where the Sabbath Day that the OT Jews observed was NOT the actual day of the genesis 1 "seventh day".
    And then I could answer with your own conclusion: You won't find it. Do you know why? Because people began observing the seven day calendar week long after Genesis 1. They had to have known al along! And therefore the last day of the week REPRESENTS the seventh day of Genesis 1, and that's a fact. Making this representational observance into more than it is - a non-entity - comes from a heart of legalism, which perverts scripture in intent and message. (A good definition of 'legalism'!)

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Truly the Sabbath had been beaten to death by the same stick - the "LAW"!
    Gerhard
    </font>[/QUOTE]But in a more serious strain, dear Johnv,
    God Tri-Une so well knew which day was the Seventh Day Sabbath "concerning the which He spake in this way: God on the Seventh Day rested from ALL His works" (Hb4:4-5), that he DESTINED or "appointed" IT, and no other day, for "the third day ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES" (1Cor.5): THAT IT HAD TO BE THE DAY OF JESUS' RESURRECTION! It was the third day of the Passover, that had to be the Sabbath, that had to be the Day of the First Sheaf Wave Offering "Before the LORD". On the Sabbath it had to be that Christ would appear before the throne of His Father in heavenly spheres through the exaltation of Him in resurrection from the dead. For the reality and truth of THIS, Christ's Body the Church would every Sabbath Day worship Him as Lord and Saviour Head and King.
    Gerhard

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Ahhh, yes, the same Lord who is the Lord of every day. The same Lord who proclaimed that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for it. That, plus the fact that we're told in the epistles that we're not to allow anyone to judge us in how we keep the sabbath. Add to that the fact that the day we call Saturday today is not the same day as the seventh day of the week then. The calendar has been shifted and altered, abandoned and reinstituted, several times since then.
    For the same reason that we dont know which day of our week corresponds to the actual first day, and the observance of the first day is a representation, and nothing more, of the first day.

Sorry, but that's the same mentality of arguement that the KJVOists use to spew their manmade doctrine. Like KJVOism, the day-of-week doctrine is also a false doctrine. It's not biblically supportable. Like the KJVOists, it is up to YOU to show scriptural proof for your claim, and, lacking scriptural support, you haven't a scriptural leg to stand on, lest you add to scripture.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

13. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn says

Now Seth3, I appreciate what you write here, but you should follow through your own thinking : Where, ultimately, is the End or Fulfilment of all the works of God? Not in the death of Christ, but in the resurrection of Him from the dead. This is absolutely clear from the language of Eph.1:19f. If this is so - and it is so - then your arguments here quoted should apply to Christ in His resurrection from the dead, and that happened, precisely "In the Sabbath's fulness being the very light (of day) towards the First Day of the week" - Mt.28:1

Seth3 Replies,

Absolutely thats why He is the BEGINING and THE END HE IS THE FIRST AND THE LAST THE ROOT AND THE OFFSPRING.

First and Seventh both seen in the gospels as in Christ. Us in Him and Him in us. The True Light shining in our hearts is seen even in Genesis' first day.

So I see the Cross of Christ(Seventh day =Its finished) which is God resting from His work. Believing the Word is in our hearts I believe is the making of all things new until the day dawns within. God thus works in hearts through faith in His work. Walking in the Light(Spirit) of the first day I am walking in the Liberty of Christ.

Actually not quibling just sharing as I see it. We both have the completed book its God who teaches and thats how He is showing me this as He is showing you yours right?

God Bless

Seth3

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Wopik,
    By now I almost know that book (and how many others of the same author) by heart. I disagree with Bacchiocchi mainly with regard to his stance that Matthew uses the morning as day's beginning. He point blank refuses to answer my criticism. Then I also disagree with him as to the origin of Sunday observance - which he maintains resulted from various factors active during the late second to about the fourth century. I say, no, Sunday "observation" - mark the word - as early as when he wrote to the Galatians was rife in the pagan world, and only in the late second century succesfully convinced the Christian writer Justin Martyr. Bacchiocchi's main defect in Sabbath-doctrine is obvious: that he argues all Jesus' miracles as boosting the Sabbath, one could say; but stops dead before he would admit the greatest of all Jesus' miracles, - His resurrection from the dead - to be of value for the Sabbath Day.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correction:
    should be: PAUL wrote, Apologies!

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I at first said I liked your 'eschatology' before having given more attention. Now I must say I much more dislike your allegory. Frankly, I don't believe you know what you are saying yourself. You have NO historicity left, and your reasoning in the end makes of your inner experiences your Christ.

17. wopik

wopik New Member

"we can indicate with reasons that the justification for Sunday on the basis of the resurrection of Jesus, does not appear until the second century and even then very timidly" - C. S. Mosna, Storia della domenica, p. 357; W. Rordorf, Sabbat (texts), p. xvi.

the appearance by the lake of Tiberias reported by John (21 :1-19) also occurred on the first day of the week "since it took place after a day of rest (John 21:1-3)." Granting such an hypothesis, which is not altogether unlikely, it would mean, however, that Peter and several of the disciples went fishing Saturday night (note they spent the night fishing, John 21:3) after having observed the Sabbath. Fishing on Sunday can hardly be regarded as intentional observance of the day - Pacifico Massi, La Domenica, p. 40.

18. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Gerhard says,

I at first said I liked your 'eschatology' before having given more attention. Now I must say I much more dislike your allegory. Frankly, I don't believe you know what you are saying yourself. You have NO historicity left, and your reasoning in the end makes of your inner experiences your Christ.

Seth3 replies,

I have believed what it says and now I'm hopefully going to walk in the fulfilment of all that is written by the Spirit. All things are SUMMED UP IN CHRIST, Yet* its Christ IN US our hope of Glory. Entering the Seventh Day Rest (Cross of Christ) into the First Day The True Light of all men shed abroad in our hearts. I'll take the reality within the History over the just the History alone any day. Or rather the inner fulfillment of Spirit and Life. Is this not what we are meant to walk in?

Let there be (History) and there WAS (Reality)

God Bless

Seth3

19. wopik

wopik New Member

BobRyan
    Quite the opposite.

Faith in JESUS establishes the Law (Rom 3:31).

http://intercontinentalcog.org/ICGCC/Lesson_Seven.shtml

The most important New Testament statement on the Sabbath was spoken by Jesus Christ as quoted in Mark 2:27-28. Jesus not only affirms the Sabbath command, He also instructs us about its purpose.

In the Hebrew, Genesis 2:2 literally says that God "sabbathed"—ceased or rested — on the seventh day from all His work.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew/heb.cgi?number=07673&version=kjv

20. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed - God never commands rebellion against His authority, His Government or His Laws.

Christ said "IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments".

And as you point out - Paul argues in Romans 3:31 "We do NOT abolish the Law of God by our faith rather we Establish the Law".

It is obedience and harmony with God that is the result of the Gospel work on the heart - not rebellion against Him.

This is why James can say "So live and act as those who are to be judged BY the Law of Liberty" after giving a few examples.

In Christ,

Bob