1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Tammy Faye Over Falwell?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

In life, Tammy Faye Bakker was made a laughing-stock by the mainstream media. Her overly mascara-ed face, her ditzy monologues, and her twangy, southern-style hymn singing were held up by the media as the prototypical evangelical: uneducated, backwoods—and living in la-la land.
    Somehow though, post PTL and “The Jim and Tammy Show,” Tammy Faye managed to endear herself to that same mocking media. Upon news of her death (July 20) the Washington Post carried the headline, “From down here, she looks like an angel now.” MSNBC headlined, “Through it all, Tammy Faye never wavered.” Every major media outlet made sure you knew that Tammy Faye was “never seriously implicated” in any of the scandals that brought down her husband, though she herself continued to live a life of luxury until the day she died. CNN’s obituary included...............

.........not so with Jerry Falwell. Falwell could put his arm around his nemesis Larry Flynt and tell him on national television that he loved him and God loved him—but that God required Flynt to repent. Tammy Faye put her arms around the gay community, never telling them the truth about their sin.
    Why has the media treated Tammy Faye softly in death, while harshly condemning Jerry Falwell? Were they both not representatives of American evangelicalism? Maybe, but with one glaring difference: Falwell was bold to proclaim what the word of God demands of us. Tammy Faye’s so-called “gospel” claimed to offer great benefits and demanded nothing in return. It should be no surprise that she won the hearts of mainstream media in doing so.

http://townhall.com/Columnists/PaulEdwards/2007/08/05/why_tammy_faye_over_falwell

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the eyelashes man! If Falwell had worn .... well maybe not :tonofbricks:

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You hit it. If one agreed with Falwell on somethings or not, they knew he preached the true Gospel and that is what the world does not want to hear.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I have always liked and admired Falwell. He took the worst the left-wing atheist media had to throw at him and never flinched. He just would just smile and tell them that Jesus loved them. There are even many so-called Christians on this board that fell prey to the media propaganda and demonization of Jerry Falwell. I wish that Falwell would not have retracted and apologised for alot of the statements that he made and remember the admonition of Christ about loving the praise of men more than the praise of God.

For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. (John 12:43)

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Tammy Fay definitely had her problems. However, elevating Falwell to the status of sainthood is not quite the truth.

Talking about the media and its evils, he was on every type of talk show, news show, and any other media forum one could find. Why not stay away from the media? It seems he and Larry made a tour of going from show to show debating. It got so bad one could stand to watch it.

As far as spreading the true Gospel, electing officials that to Jerry Falwell was acceptable is not the answer to America's problems. Legistation and executive power is not the power of the Gospel. The power of the Gospel is the blood of Jesus Christ to change hearts. It has nothing to do with what Jerry Falwell thought. Frankly, who cares what he thought.

As far as the politicians he endorsed, how about Richard Nixon, as well as an assortment of congressmen that proved less than honest, and to top it off, George W Bush, who, well nothing else needs to be said about that.

It was not a morality and Christian thing with him, it was a Republican thing, and it seems he fit right well into the power structure, (things of this world), when in fact, they were and are as dispicable as the Democrats.

The book "Blinded by Might" by James Dobson and Cal Thomas put this individual in perspective for me.

#5 saturneptune, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2007
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you might not agree with me, but here is what I think.

Part of it is the manner of their deaths. Tammy Faye had battled cancer of her gut, lungs, and more. She was in grievous pain and only weighed 65 pounds at her last interview with Larry King. People, even the ones who onced mocked her, wouldn't dare mock her in her time of great physical torment, knowing she wasn't too long for this world. She was a tragic figure and people, knowing that they, themselves could be a cancer victim or having family members of their own who are cancer victims, didn't want to mock her in death. Plus she was gracious, speaking of the joy of Jesus Christ, even in her last days. As I said, that is part of it.

We, in this country, tend not to scorn victims of cancer.....no matter what they have been in the past or are today. I think that's a good thing.

As far as Falwell is concerned, I also admire his stand for Christ. But I cannot admire his delivery of his message. I watched him several times on television and always came away disillusioned with him and even sometimes angry at his mocking of those that he should have been praying for and seeking to bring to Christ.

He didn't back down on the truth, that's wonderful and he should be remembered for it and admired for it. I believe that he is rewarded in heaven for it.

But he didn't always deliver the truth in love, humility, nor compassion. His occasional tactics of ridicule and ill-humor was a turn off....even to some Christians.

Part of it is that he died an overweight man. In this country, overweight people are fair game for mockery....even in their deaths. Remember Mama Cass Elliot? It's wrong and stupid, but it's how society behaves.

Unfortunately, he mocked sinners in his lifetime....many times. I heard it with my own ears. Tragically, they mocked him in his death.

They should not have. Two wrongs don't make a right. People should have been more respectful towards him in his death.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why Tammy Faye Over Falwell?

#7 Alcott, Aug 5, 2007
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Uncalled for. Your post has been reported. :confused:

#8 webdog, Aug 5, 2007
  9. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Time. Tammy Faye's waywardness was a long time ago. Jerry Falwell's foolishness was quite current.

10. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

What "foolishness" are you referring to? The secular-progressives in this country dislike Falwell for the same reason they would probably dislike you. Do we as Christians have to tailor our message so as not to offend unbelievers? Do we have to mold the church into something that appeals to the world until before long no one can tell the difference? Falwell never scandalized the Church with a divorce or extra-marital affairs. Make a controversial statement and you are never forgiven. But divorce, sexual scandal, fraud, as long as you dont offend sinners, you are held up as the epitome of a model Christian. Its no wonder the Church of Jesus Christ has no power today. There is no repentance involved in Christian's lives after they become born again.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If there is no repentence, they were never Christians in the first place. There is another flawed argument.

What makes divorce and extra marital affairs and better or worse than bathing yourself in the political power structure. It all speaks of wrapping yourself in the things of this world, God hates, because He hates sin, not the sin you consider worse than another.

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

At many times it was difficult to tell whether Falwell was a Republican politician or a man of God. He had his priorities wrong. I don't want to give the impression that I supported Tammy Faye either. She put her possions ahead of her Christianity.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==While I did not agree with Falwell's political activism (or Mohler's, Dobson's, etc) I don't think he wrapped himself "in the things of the world". In fact I think the reason he was hated so much was because what he said did not go along with "the things of the world". Saying that God still judges nations today, through events and national disasters, is not popular and offends the post-modern, feel-good, watered down "evangelical" and secular mind.

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Because Falwell called sin what it is (SIN) while Tammy Faye endorsed sin and the world's ways.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let them rest in peace. There are other meaningful battles to fight. Pick one of those.

16. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Foolishness? Well, there was his "moral majority", the 9/11 nonsense, Flynt, the gay tape, his sometimes boorish attitude, and a general lack of thoughtful dialog. Is that worse than being a repentant scandal-maker? Perhaps, perhaps not -- I'm not a fan of either so I really don't have to choose. Regardless, Falwell was hardly a model Christian leader.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Best answer yet.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

IMHO, this thread was started for no purpose other than to cause meaness that goes way beyond debate. We all know that both Jerry Falwell and Tammy Fay were polarizing figures and usually invoked strong feelings one way or the other.

What could possibly be gained by demeaning or comparing two individuals now deceased other than to stir the pot. There is nothing here to debate. Moderators, I did not start this thread, but please close it.

#18 saturneptune, Aug 5, 2007
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I second that motion. This thread is nothing but yet another smear campaign.

20. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Oh gosh. It's a good question. Don't let your sensitivity to their recent deaths get in the way of an interesting topic.