1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the anger?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by APuritanMindset, Sep 3, 2005.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I think that is the scariest thing about this whole situation, that we may indeed all look forward to similar fates if we do not turn this nation from the course that she has chosen. We cannot say absolutely that this event was a judgment on NO. But was it a blessing? To say it is just a random event that God had no design for is just about blasphemy. God did not wind everything up and leave it to run it's course. We have to acknowledge His hand when we see it, and that was it.

Job 37:9-13
    9 Out of the south cometh the whirlwind: and cold out of the north.
    10 By the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straitened.
    11 Also by watering he wearieth the thick cloud: he scattereth his bright cloud:
    12 And it is turned round about by his counsels: that they may do whatsoever he commandeth them upon the face of the world in the earth.
    13 He causeth it to come, whether for correction, or for his land, or for mercy.

God caused that whirlwind and nothing else.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Because God doesn't "ordain" these things, he "allows" them. Big difference. God being in control doesn't mean He's a micromanager.
    EVERYTHING from God is a blessing. However, we must adjust our outlook to recognizt it sometimes. For example:

A farmer is in his field. It starts to rain. The rain is a normal, natural, cyclical event. The rain is still a blessing, is it not? Of course it is. So, the farmer stays out in the rain, and eventually catches pneumonia and dies. The rain is still a blessing, but the farmer will no longer see it as such.

The problem with us Christians is not that we're being withheld blessins, but that we're so presumptuous sometimes that we don't recognize the blessings we're given.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My son was in Australia this past summer. At the church where he was working, there was an Australian lady whose brother-in-law was on one of the trains bombed in London. He was uninjured but the incident sparked some serious thoughts on life and hereafter. You see, the Australian lady had not heard from her sister in over twenty years. They had rejected her when she became a Christian. After the bombing, the sister in England called and wanted to talk about the hereafter. They were reconciled over the telephone and the sister from Australia is visiting her sister and brother-in-law in England next year. Her desire and prayer is to lead her sister and brother-in-law to faith in Christ.

God does indeed bring good out of bad. Remember Joseph. The brothers intended it for evil but God intended it for good.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Are you getting this stuff from scripture somewhere? Or is that your own understanding?

Matthew 10:29
    29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

Romans 8:28
    28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

This is a far cry from saying God never curses anyone.

Malachi 2:2
    2 If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

From scripture. The same scripture that says that even when walking in the valley, God is with me. Scripture does not say that I will be spared the walk in the valley. Unless the author of Psalm 23 got it wrong...
    I never said God doesn't cure anyone. I concluded that lack of a cure does not mean that God is condemning the person, or that God isn't in control.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

curse, not cure...

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oops! I'll revise my statement:

I never said God doesn't curse anyone. I'm simply saying that just because bad things happen in life doesn't automatically mean God is cursing us. It's just as likely to be a case of the rain falling upon the just.