1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Brass Sockets?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Nov 9, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

During the construction of the tabernacle silver sockets were used to hold up the boards that made the walls separating the sanctuary from the court. I think i have a good understanding why the silver (see: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BibleQA/message/84 ). But i don’t understand why brass sockets were used to anchor the poles.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They were actually bronze sockets, not brass. Bronze is considerably more durable that other metals of the time. I suspect that the reason for them being bronze (a mostly copper/tin alloy) is to provide structural stability and greater overall strength.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Are you saying that the metal was used because it is strong or because it symbolized strength? or both?

I read somewhere what all the metal in the temple symbolized and can not remember but the author claimed that all the metal reprisented something. The only one I can remember is gold symbolized deity.

So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived
    Numbers 21:9

His body was like beryl, his face like the appearance of lightning, his eyes like torches of fire, his arms and feet like burnished bronze in color, and the sound of his words like the voice of a multitude.
    Daniel 10:6

Is it significant that Jesus is reprisented with bronze? And there are several times that feet are bronze, why?

Their legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze.
    Ezekiel 1:7

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was referring to the actual strength of the metal, but I like both of those [​IMG]