1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Gospel of Judas is not in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by faith in the south, Apr 29, 2006.

1. faith in the south

faith in the south New Member

The Catholics say the Church followed Saint Irenaeus and Saint Athanasious and int the Nicean Council decided not to include it.
    My question is wich is the statement of other Christian denominations to exclude it?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Most Christian denominations follow the canon set by the church in the late fourth century -- which (coincidentally, I think) follows the suggested canon of Athenasius.

The text of this purported Gospel is so obviously Gnostic that serious consideration of it as a factual account of history is laughable. Yet "scholars" will examine it, much like the "sayings Gospel" attributed to Thomas.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

AFAIC, as a Protestant I have no problem in subscribing to the Synods/Councils of Carthage and Hippos in the late 4th century that fixed the Canon.

4. nate

nate New Member

Obviously it wasn't the Roman Catholic Church that created the Canon it was the Universal Apostolic Church. The Council of Nicea was held in what today is Greek Orthodox community not Roman Catholic. I also along with Matt accept and affirm the decisions and Creeds the above mentioned council made official.
    In Christ,
    Nate

5. SpyHunter

SpyHunter New Member

As for the actual text, I read about a dozen lines of it and laughed so hard that I had to stop.

The basic gyst of what I read told about a time when Jesus "vanished" and was gone for some time, but then reappeared to the apostles. The apostles were startled and asked where Jesus went. Jesus laughed at them in their frightened state and said, "I have gone to the eternal generation, where you cannot follow."
    "What is the eternal generation?" asks a wide-eyed, innocent disciple.
    Jesus laughs again, "Why do you ask this? You cannot know, for you live in this generation and will never know the eternal one, for it is greater and better than this. Even the people there are better than you."
    The disciples were saddened by this.

I paraphrased slightly, but that was essentially the point and but a taste of what the "Gospel" of Judas "records" for us. Obviously, anyone with a half a brain can deduce this is NOT anywhere near the same league as inspired Scripture. It's more of the caliber of Dr. Seuss. Seriously.

Blessings,
    SpyHunter