1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the KJV?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Matt Black, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I am sorry that you all don't believe in a perfect Bible. I will continue to pray for you all.

Non-KJVO folks believe in a perfect Bible. Just not a perfect English translation.

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Non-KJVO folks believe in a perfect Bible.

do you think a perfect bible exists anywhere outside the mind of god?

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I only drink when I gamble. Just kidding. :D

This is the type of logic many, if not most, KJVonlyist use to support their outdated version.

I guess you have to resort to this type of tactic when you are unsupported by Scripture. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

do you think a perfect bible exists anywhere outside the mind of god?

We're not talking about a perfect Bible. We're talking about a perfect translation. The two are different subjects.

There's no such thing as a perfect English translation. There are really good translations, and reasonably accurate translations, but no perfect translations.

The only way any English translation can be perfect is if the text it came from is perfect. And the only way it canbe a perfect translation is it is entirely free from errors. The KJV is not free from errors in translation.

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

We're not talking about a perfect Bible.

huh? in your previous post you said:

Non-KJVO folks believe in a perfect Bible

6. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Right, and they do. The distinction is that "Bible" in the KJVO argument refers to a written translation of God's Word. God's Word is the Bible, and it (God's Word) is perfect. What we find in a book is merely a translation of God's Word, and it (the translation - any translation) is not perfect.

This argument is not about a perfect Bible, if we're taking "Bible" to mean "God's Word." Of course His Word is perfect. This discussion is about the written "copy" of the Word, not the Word itself.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Timothy, I understood you to believe that there is a perfect Bible. So what's your disagreement?

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Timothy, I understood you to believe that there is a perfect Bible. So what's your disagreement?

nothin'. i guess we're pretty much two peas in a pod! [​IMG]

9. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Great post(March 26, 03) and argument "Stubbornkelly"

My late father gave me a reproduction of the original AV 1611 - leaving aside the no "J" problem - the "U"/"V" problem - and the excess "E" problem --

What do you KJVO people do with this problem - If the KJV is the inspired Word of God - how come you leave out all that "inspired" material in the 1611 version between Malachi and Matthew?

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, on the grammatical points, I bow to my superiors (Note to mods: can we have a bowing emoticon please?).

Now, to return to one of my questions, and kind of following on from Dan's above comments about the Apocrypha, can anyone explain to me why the KJV is held in such high esteem by some Baptists when it was authorised by a king who was definitely anti Baptist (remember James' statement at the Lambeth Conference in 1604 of "No bishop, no king"?) and contains the Apocrypha? :eek:

Yours in Christ

Matt

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Okay, do you? If yes, what is it?

12. Preacher Nathan Knight

King James himself actually had very little to do with it. He just happened to be the king at the time. If you remember, King Henry VIII made himself the head over the church in England. Every religious book written during that time was named after him in some way. It could be that was one of the reasons the KJV was named after King James. I could be completely wrong, but it is just a thought.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting point. I accept that James didn't have any direct input into the translation, but he did commission it and appoint/ approve the translators. This to me makes the KJV as potentially 'tainted'in terms of its 'roots' as any of the modern versions.

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. Alex Mullins

Alex Mullins New Member

Three questions:

1. Why would God not desire us to know, with assurance, that we have His perfect Word, every word exactly where He wants it , meaning what He wants it to say, as He promised He would in Psalms 12: 6-7 and Matthew 24: 35

2. What would be his purpose in inspiring holy men of old to put it on paper and then not provide a way of preserving it perfect for us, in the english language today? To inspire and not preserve surely would be a waste of time. Is that God's nature? I think not.

3. Why would Satan not desire to get into the word and tinker with it, pervert it, make it less effective, create confusion and division among His created, especially those really educated ones?

His perfect word has been with us since it was inspired by God himself. Those who say we have the perfect word contained somewhere in 200 flawed, perverted versions have underestimated God's ability to preserve the word in the KJV and have underestimated Satans power to pervert that word using powerful organizations such as the Church of Rome and men such as occultists Westcott and Hort over the years.

I use the KJV because it is the only version we have today that is a direct descendant of the Byzantine Texts and it has withstood the test of time.

It must be God's word because it is the most duplicated and attacked book in the history of this sorry world. Since the turn of the century, with the advient of printing presses, we have witnessed over 150 "versions" of God's word, each on easier to read than the one before it.

After a short study of the History fo this precious Word, understanding the nature of it's Author, examining the lives of those who re-wrote it (W & H for example), the only logical conclusion one can reach is that we do have the pure, perfect word to take and apply to our lives today.

That is why I use my KJV every day and will until the end or until another "perfect" word comes on the scene(Phil 1: 6)

There is a great deal of strange stuff happening in our music and some "seeker" churches that bear watching. We need to keep our eyes and ears open and test it against scripture. It is important to know this word is 100% reliable and not polluted by the thoughts of sinful men bent on destroying it. God warned us about these times in 1 Tim 3:1-5

There, I said it without directly attacking or insulting anyone who might disagree with me on this board.

God Bless our troops, I am glad George Bush is my President and peace to all.

The God of the KJ Bible is absolutely awesome.

Alex

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Just a few things:

That is not what these verses in Psalm 12 promise.

I wonder the same thing. Why do some hold on to a 17th century version as God's only Bible? Isn't God able to provide a way for His Word to be in today's English language?

There are some educated ones who are deceived, but I worry about the ignorant ones. That seems like a fertile ground for Satan to sow discord. The less one knows the easier it is to be deceived by a falsehood or a half-truth.

Go figure, the NT text underlying the King James was put together by a Roman Catholic cleric, Erasmus. :rolleyes:

The first premise is not true, I can think of the NKJV, MKJV, and LITV just off the top of my head. The second premise I would tend to agree with.

If it is duplicated that simply means more KJVs are made. Is that what you are getting at? The KJV should not be reproduced and published? (A duplicate is an exact copy.) Also, as for the attacked part, I guess it depends on your definition of 'attacked.'

Just want to point out that the printing press has been around much longer than the turn of the century.

I must ask what you mean by logical. Also, have you examined all the translators of all other translations besides the KJV? Have you examined the Anglican translators of the KJV?

I am very glad you use your KJV every day! Keep it up! Just wondering, how will you know if another perfect word comes? Also, you are misapplying Scripture here.

I believe that would be for the music forum.

I would agree. I must ask, however, what you mean by "sinful men bent on destroying it."

The insulting part may depend on who reads this.

I agree. [​IMG] Aren't you Canadian, though?

AMEN! [​IMG] He is the same God of my NKJV Bible and He is an awesome God!

Neal

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

24 hour notice. Let's wrap this up.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Reprise the theme song and roll the credits!