1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why the Title "Pastor"?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently none of the "ministers and messengers"/"elders and brethren" signed the 1689 London Baptist Confession as "elder." Most signed identifying themselves as "pastor," some as "minister," and a single as "preacher."

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I love the title "Pastor." I don't make a big hullabaloo about it because it's the function, not the label, that counts. If I'm not doing the work of an elder, calling me "elder" is worthless.

I could be called a lot. Rev., Pastor, Bro, (maybe someday Dr.), but I prefer "Tom."

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am with you on this one. We all know that "pastor" was originally a turn for an elder, but with the passage of time, the word came to refer to the minister, yet we keep the elders separate, and there is nothing wrong with that. Semantically, we have erred, but functionly, I do not think we have, for we still have the function of elders.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess I think using the BIBLICAL term (title) should be a priority over anything of culture or evolution.

And elder is an elder. A small part of what he does is "pastor" or "shepherd" (more accurate translation, used thus in EVERY place in the NT except the one time called "pastor").

BTW (aside) I've gone to putting Rev. in front of my name on checks and in the phone book, etc. My WIFE gets to use Dr and we don't want to confuse folks to badly. :thumbs:

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

ROGER! Brother Roger! Preach it!

Lacy

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"Pastor" is used in one place as a noun, but several other places in its verbal form in context of elders (Acts 20:17, 28; 1Pet. 5:1-5).

Are you saying that we are in sin for calling the minister "pastor" because biblically it was used only for elders in respect to the flock? I am in no way being contentious. I am just seeking clarity. And is the argument of title-evolution in respect to pastor invalid?

We see the evolution of words all around us. Why is it invalid when applied to the minister/preacher?

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, just discussing WHY we call an elder a "pastor" or a "minister" or a "preacher", that's all.

We don't call our fireman or policeman or soldiers "ministers" (and the Bible does) but we do call our elders that. All question marks . .

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

So who were the pastors in the OT??
    I know of priests and I know of prophets, but where does it speak of the title or qualifications of a pastor?

Jerimiah states:

I think Pastor is a term synonomous with Shephard.
    However, it is of note that God through the Apostle Paul stated:
    Now why do you suppose God didn't say Elders or Bishops in place of Pastor but instead used the least common term identified in the NT with the office of Elder? Maybe, just maybe it speaks to something much overlooked ;) . And maybe to God it speaks volumes.

BTW Dr. Bob - Pastor IS a BIBLICAL term used regarding a title​

#28 Allan, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Are you being serious about this?

I am curious as to why you, or anyone for that matter, would use this title when it is found nowhere in scriputre, except when in reference to God Himself.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was lame attempt at humor. Holy and Reverend is HIS name! My wife and I both have earned doctorates and we get a lot of confusion on phone, yellow page, checks, etc

And don't confuse the OT references that are totally unrelated to the NT. "Pastor" is he English translation of poimen ONLY is one verse. One.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I thought it was humor. I almost chimed in and said you were just jealous of your friend Jesse Jackson, but I wasn't sure you were joking.

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I was hoping as much, brother. As much emphasis as you put on things such as this, I got worried that you'd jumped ship there.