1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

why the word every creature

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by massdak, Sep 18, 2003.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

how come when the word "world" is used many believe it means every living human, yet a distintion is made. why didnt Jesus say go and preach to the world the gospel but instead said every creature?

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

The word world must not mean every creature living, correct?

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I don't see why there can't necessarily be two ways of saying basically the same thing. My guess is that when the term "world" is used the emphasis is on every nation (not just Israel), while "every creature" just means every human being, emphasizing our common ancestry and Creator.

[ September 18, 2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: timothy 1769 ]

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

What in the world are you talking about, I'd give the world to know. The astronomical world awaits the news of the discovery of other worlds. Lots of worlds, the insect world, it's a woman's world, it would do you a world of good to realize that "world" has a lot of denotations. The word "world" in Mark 16 is the word "kosmos" meaning world order. Reading in context it is saying to go everywhere and preach to everyone. Remeber, God is not trying to confuse but to make it plain. Keep that in mind and it will help you in this world and the world to come.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't really see a distinction here.

Go ye into all the world

preach the gospel to every creature

He could have said, "Go into the world and preach". I am guessing he also added "into all the world" and "preach the gospel to every creature" so as not to exlude the gentiles.

JMHO,
    §ue

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe that command was given 3 different times using 3 different greek words. And all 3 according to scripture were fulfilled in the 1st century.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Greek word ktisis (translated "creature") has an implication of creation. The phrase is probably better translated "preach the Gospel to all creation" which is a figure of speach meaning "everyone" without regard to societal limitations (ie, regardless of race, religion, color, gender, etc).

The NIV translates the phrase:
    He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

7. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

why in the world would you be rude about my question? why not be a bit respectable in this world.

8. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't really see a distinction here.

Go ye into all the world

preach the gospel to every creature

He could have said, "Go into the world and preach". I am guessing he also added "into all the world" and "preach the gospel to every creature" so as not to exlude the gentiles.

JMHO,
    §ue
    </font>[/QUOTE]that is why i believe Jesus said every creature, the distinction is that the word world has limited meaning, and every creature covers every person in the world.

9. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Go to the all the world= menaing you can't just go next door

Preach to eavery creature= Wether you find the human being offensive (ways or mannerism) tell them about me. Help change thier life for the better.

Sometimes I think we over analize things [​IMG] JMHO

God Bless

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we should ask a KJVO what "every creature" means? Doesn't say all "people". Says "creature".

I have preached to stubborn jackasses and meek lambs. I've preached to hard-headed goats, wolves in sheeps clothing, and sly foxes. I've confronted a roaring lion and have gone to the ant.

Then some days I preach outside my church.

(Tongue in cheek to help us see the figurative language is commonly used in the Bible. We can still take the truth literally.)

11. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

CREATURE, n.

1. That which is created; every being besides the Creator, or every thing not self-existent. The sun, moon and stars; the earth, animals, plants, light, darkness, air, water, &c., are the creatures of God.

2. In a restricted sense, an animal of any kind; a living being; a beast. In a more restricted sense, man. Thus we say, he was in trouble and no creature was present to aid him.

12. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

The reason that i think that creature means man is simply this. There are alot of people out there who have customs that offend us, bother us, and seem barberic. I'm mearly saying that we are to overlook that and give them a clear representation of the Gospel as the Lord put it down. So while they might not change all thier customs, maybe they will come to know Christ as thier savior

God Bless