1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Think It So Strange?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

It would seem reasonable that all believers would have a disdain for sin. I have heard all my life the argument made by many Baptists that if one claims to be a believer but indulges in sinful behavior without repentance, such a one was most likely never saved. Few would try to provide cover for wicked acts, willfully done without remorse or repentance. I suppose this is why some categorize sins into two or more categories, some only done by those either deceived or not saved, and others done and even practiced to some extent by believers. Much depends on just what one defines as sin, and whether or not they allow for the possibility of deception as to ones standing before God.

Reeling from those that coddle any and all forms of sin in believers, by way of suggesting that a believer can be in the very act of child molestation, rape, murder, or many other heinous sins that are clear violations of even the ethic code of most heathens, yet acknowledged as possible forgiven acts even if not repented for if one has at one time by one act of faith believed, there seems to be one out if in fact OSAS is held to. They simply resort to saying that one has never been born again. They know from Scripture and reason that its testimony that individuals that commit such acts will not find themselves in heaven from passages like Re 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” And 1Co 6:9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,”

Everything within them reels from the thought that believers that do the same things as the wicked do will suffer the same fate. Why should it be seem as so odd to some when such a belief as is described here, one that believes that if one does wickedly and is not repentant, such a one has never been saved? Why should not every God fearing sin hating believer be appalled when one tries in essence to tell you that the one God is going to bunk you with for eternity was in the act of child molestation as they drew their last breath? It would seem to me that even the most despicable criminals in prison would have a clear and justifiable disdain for the thought of such heinous and callous sinners. Should it come as any surprise to any fellow believer and upholder of righteousness, that a man of God, standing in the pulpit trying to point men and women in the direction of heavens gate, who holds to OSAS, would try their best to separate the unclean from the clean, the righteous from the unrighteous, the profane against the holy?

I do not believe that either position is correct, for I do not personally hold to OSAS, but if I was looking for a fellow believer to have fellowship through out eternity, give me the one with a clear disdain for sin, one that practices a life of obedience as opposed to one that may have just bought fire insurance, excusing the most heinous sins imaginable, as if though without remorse and repentance it has all been forgiven upon one act of faith, and regardless of the state of ones heart, or their stated lack of faith as evidenced by their wicked works, they will be found to the praise and glory of God in eternity.

Reason demands that one would, as a believer, take such a position IF they really believe what they say, as they stand in the pulpit preaching against sin and promoting righteousness, and when they voice their opposition to heinous acts of sin and disobedience committed by any and all. What should are message be to a lost a dying world? Should it be "I can make it to heaven doing it, but you cannot?"

Tell us list. What is so strange about the stand that I have outlined for one believing in OSAS yet trying to be faithful to the warnings in Scripture?

Ro 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

#1 Heavenly Pilgrim, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ONLY reason people believe in OSAS is because they have studied the scriptures and developed views according to context and harmony. Passages must be kept in proper context and one passage cannot contradict another.

Whenever you are challenged with facts such as you were with the definitions of words such as "ginosko" and "know" and "eternal" what happens to you? You disappear and start new threads trying to approach your views from another angle.

If you truly want to understand the scriptures you MUST observe proper biblical exegesis and hermeneutics. When these instruments destroy your currently held view you should adjust your view rather than running from the truth. It serves no purpose to ignore facts and just go on believing a lie. Should not the proper exegesis of the truth be your highest concern and not what your feelings dictate?

Anyone can make any doctrine out of the word of God, UNLESS they abide by the rules of hermeneutics. Why don't you return to the "You may know (absolutely) ye have eternal life" thread and deal with the hermeneutics and with the real word definitions presented to you?

:jesus: