1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why two services on a Sunday?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Roy1, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Why two services on a Sunday?
    This was the question I was asked toady. I must admit to my shame [​IMG] I had never thought about it. If you have and know the origins of it please let me know.

And is it heresy to change it?
    [​IMG]

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Charles Arn wrote a book entitled "How to Start a New Service: Your Church Can Reach New People".

It's one of the best studies I've read about both the advantages of adding a service(s); and also many practical considerations about how to actually go about doing it.

Too many good insights for me to cover here, but I'd really recommend reading the book for a well-laid out answer to your question.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I may be all wrong here, but I offer my opinion on the matter for your consideration. You are much more likely to have guests and less committed Christians in attendance at the morning service, while your loyal core group will show up on Sunday night. While the gospel is always presented at both services, I find that I'm able to deliver a message more tailored to faithful (at least in attendance) Christians at night.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't know why but I'm glad there are. I've always enjoyed Sunday evening serices much more than the morning ones.

5. Tim

Tim New Member

O.K. I'll play devil's advocate.

Being a P.K., I was always in church on Sunday night. But we often lamented that the group was smaller--the less committed stayed home. Sometimes it was downright depressing!

But now I wonder if we didn't comfort ourselves by having just a twinge of self-righteousness for our greater level of commitment.

I'm also wondering if Sunday nights might be better spent having fellowship in each others homes, maybe having a home Bible study, rather than going to another service. It would give us a chance to relax and get to know each other more personally.

In Christ,

Tim

6. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

It's also been written that church members have been voting with their feet for years by avoiding Sunday night services. Other nights of the week are typically better, such as Saturday or Wednesday.

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, the early church met on Sunday night because Sunday was a work day for them. As I understand it, here in the good ol' USA, the Sunday night service was originally the "evangelistic" service of the week. Back in the day... there were far more likely to be visitors/unsaved in the evening service.

In many rural areas, it began with a Sunday afternoon service after a dinner because of travel distances and times - not feasible to go home and come back later.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The typical Sunday Night Service was popularized in the era of revivals (1870-90). It was assumed that EVERY person would go to his own church on Sunday Morning.

So the Evening Gospel Hour began as PRAYER service by believers, then EVANGELISTIC service to reach those who would come to the Evening since they had no service of their own (and this was before ANY movies, TV, etc, and rousing group singing and good preaching was GREAT entertainment).

The rural communities had SS, AM Worship and dinner on the grounds, then prayer/praise service at 1 pm. Back home for a nap and evening milking. I pastored a church like that in 1972!

Now it is a "shibboleth" that REAL fundamental Baptists must have a PM service or they are liberal/neo's.

Sad, cultural dinosaur.

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've never been a part of a church that has'nt had a Sunday evening service. I agree, that at least in those churches, it was the core group that came back on Sunday evenings.

Our church now will average 15-20 folks coming back. We usually average 80-85 in the am. Wednesday evenings 10-15. I don't question why are we having church, rather where are our Sunday school teachers, deacons and organizational leaders during that time. They're not at church. They don't want to drop the service or do something different, they just don't want come.

I would like to spend more time in fellowship and home Bible study during that time.

10. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

LOL, you think your question is mind blowing how about this one?

I do believe in a Sunday worship because that is the Lord's day (resurrection). I understand Churches that only have one service instead of two on that day... BUT, who says that it must be a MORNING service?

oh, I think I will create a subject on this one...

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

In our church we had a very small number of folks coming back for sunday night. Then we tried something new (for us) - we went to a short praise and worship time, then into discipleship groups. We will usually have an OT class, a NT class, a teachers training class, a few youth and childrens discipleship classes. We give certificates of completion to people that meet the requirements of the different classes.

Our attendance usually runs about 400 on a sunday am, and 150-200 on a sunday pm. We have been doing this for the past two years or so.

12. mioque

mioque New Member

A service on sunday morning and the 2nd one sunday afternoon. A service on sunday evening is naturally unthinkable in any Godfearing Dutch church, a sure sign of the crudity and decadence of the English speaking infidels. :D ;) [​IMG] Evening services are to be held on saturdays.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Culture, Mioque, varies in parts of the world AND within nations. Problem is when we confuse biblical Christianity with Western civilization.

No wonder missionaries have such a difficult time in cross-cultural work. We need to pray for them more diligently.

14. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite afew years ago I attended a church that had evening services every Sunday except for the rare month that had 5 Sundays in them. And of course, we didn't have a service on Super Bowl Sunday. Our pastor, godly man that he was, was an avid football fan and "just had to" watch the game. (As a side note, some of the congregation were cool with it, and some were not).

The Church I attend nowadays doesn't have a evening service, but we have 2 morning services; one at 9:00am, and the other at 10:40am. Why? Too many people and too few seats. We hope to have a new building someday, but that's still a few years off.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG] :cool:

15. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Why didn't they have an evening service on the months with a 5th Sunday? How was it different from any other Sunday? :confused:

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our 5th Sunday night is always a singing or talent type singing and ice cream social.

Many of our Sunday Night services are aimed at the teens and college aged youth and I don't attend those. I don't like the loud modern music and, honestly, don't want to expose Nick (almost 9) until I have to. I want him to learn to enjoy hymns.

Diane

17. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pastor liked to call the 5th Sunday "Family Night." Stay home with your family and play a game; have a good conversation; a home bible study; or whatever. I always thougth it was a great idea.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Actually, it had been my understanding that the early church met on the first evening of the week (i.e., the night of the first day of the week), which was Saturday night. Days ran sunset to sunset, not midnight to midnight. If they'd met on Sunday night, that'd have been the second day of the week.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jewish-Christian services are STILL on Friday night. But that was usually NOT the case in first Century Judaism.

Friday evening (start of shabbat) was a FAMILY time of prayer and worship.

Saturday morning was COMMUNAL (synagogue) prayer and instruction and worship, followed by a corporate meal at noon.

Then time off with no work until sundown on Saturday and the beginning of the first day of the week.

Wouldn't one assume this same pattern would be followed in the early church?

20. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I am not sure who the first person to instigate Sunday evening services was, but I would sure like to get a hold of him. He is the probably the same guy that created neckties. :D