1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why use an Apple Macintosh?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Dale-c, Jun 1, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, to recap:

Why we should use a Mac.

1. No virus
    2. No spyware etc.
    3. It's the mac users preference
    4. Maybe more stable than windows but comments on both sides

If I've missed anything please add to the list.

Guess I'm still waiting for some good reasons.

2. Milady

Milady New Member

Hey, you DID forget something.

5. Macs Look WAY neater
    6. The Mini takes up less space
    7. Travels easier..(Dale-C takes his to work every day, and home for me to play on after)

These might help you a bit,
    Milady

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " 5. Macs Look WAY neater
    7. Travels easier..(Dale-C takes his to work every day, and home for me to play on after)"

Well as to way neater, another mac user preference :laugh:

Not much takes up less space than my handheld wince unit :sleep:

CE unit is smaller and lighter than the mac mini :applause:

Come on Mac users is there really any difference? :sleeping_2:

Okay, joking, but at the same time with all the "Mac's are better than yer windows machine" I've heard for umpteen years deserves more differences than this.

To recap:

2 positives and five maybe's depending on your preference :)

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I run a web hosting company. I get 60,000-80,000 hits a day. Most hits are people tring to break in. I have tons of viruses tossed my way each week. If they make it though the firewall..they never load..for i must tell them its ok to load. About once a year someone breaks the wall. I come in and OSX is asking if its ok to store the program. I click no..and go on with work.

By the end of 2005, there were 114,000 known viruses for PCs. In March 2006 alone, there were 850 new threats detected against Windows.

On a Windows PC, software (both good and evil) can change the system without your even knowing about it. In order for software to significantly modify Mac OS X, you have to type in your password. You approve changes to your system. I set my password as a phase with over 20 letters and numbers. There is a very slim chance this will ever be guessed.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

well...macs use to have more speed in large graphic files. but now its nearly the same.

macs do not crash nearly as often on large graphic files.

the software that comes with a mac will cost you over 1000 bucks on a PC..

1movie..free or a PC..the same would run 80-100 bucks
    idvd....free the same on a PC cost over 100. ....for movie type menus
    grarage band...free on a mac. would cost 300 on a PC
    ical..free
    ichat...free
    mail..free

PDFs that will read the text back to you...can you do that on a PC?

macs have had voice.."mactalk" for 15 years....free

voiceover...control your computer with your voice...free with a mac.

then you have final cut pro...only on a mac. this one will cost you though. but there is no better software for making movies.

soundtrack...only on a mac.
    logic express.......only on a mac

the best thing about all the software...it all works together.

like..i load my photos into iphoto. from iphoto i can drag a picture i'm looking at..into mail..to send to someone. i can make a book..i can make a slideshow with picture. so far no big deal..right?

ok..itunes..i keep my music here. i can mix songs in folders. still no biggie.

now watch this. I want to make a movie. I open imovie...bring in my movie from my cam-corder. i want to place a few pics from iphoto..iphoto is part of imovie..and all your pictures are there to see. pick the ones you want....and then pick your music from itunes. Yes itunes is part of imovie too. now i mixed all this together and i have a great movie. idvd is linked to imove. I need only click the botton ..and my movie is exported to idvd...which i pick my menu..and burn my dvd to had out.

all of mac stuff is like this. mail is linked to address..and both is linked to ical...and also ichat.

all this comes with a new mac. :)

6. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

All you need to find this information is a simple Google search. I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble, to flame Macs, or to seem like I'm arguing. I'm just stating facts. Here is a link you should click and read:

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/

I also run a web hosting company, and many different websites. I also owned a computer repair shop until I recently closed it, and am now devoting my time to web design, web hosting, server management, web based applications, and custom built servers. This is on top of my full time job with a company that I take care of state wide. Not tooting my horn, just letting you know that I am knowledgeable about the subject. Computer, network, and server security is one thing I know quite a bit about.

7. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

By the way, anyone have any use for some old G3 all in ones? They're running OS 8.?, approx 3 gig hard disk, cd-rom, ethernet, no modems and no USB. Modems and USB cards could be added. I have several of them to get rid of. If you're in the area, I'll give them to you. I know at least two of them run. The rest could be used for spare parts. I only have one keyboard and one mouse for them. They have the mini din connectors that look like PS2, but they're different, and the mouse daisy chains off the keyboard. There's a couple other even older Macs out there for parts as well. I need to get rid of some of this junk, and reclaim my garage.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, I just got in from work, I have been using a Dell laptop all day because I don't have a Mac laptop anymore and I can't take a desktop on a man lift 40 feet in the air! :)

There are so many little things that are hard for a Windows user to understand. So many little things that you never even thought of until you use one.
    I will try to list a few of the things I miss when I use windows.

• Exposé is a great feature..drives me crazy that windows doesn't have it.
    • Target disk mode. All macs are also firewire hard drives. You can boot any mac off of another Mac's hard drive.
    • Screen shots on a mac go directly to a file. No need to paste in Paint brush.
    • Column view in the finder is much more elegant that the clunky windows explorer
    • Macs don't have annoying messages when ever you plug something in or when you have too many icons on your desktop.
    • Spotlight, a simple to use search that is very powerful and is in every finder window.
    • Safari web browser has a bounce back feature to go back to google searches.
    • Hard drives can be easily cloned with built in software.
    • The dock and menu bar are much cleaner and easier in the eyes than the Windows Task bar.
    • High quality scalable icons from 16x16 up to 128x128 and all points between.
    • The terminal is much more powerful than the win Xp command line. It works almost like a text editor.
    • That reminds me a TextEdit. A Great Testeditor that is much better than Notepad.
    • Preview.app is a program for pics and pdfs. very good, easier to use than Adobe reader(also available for the Mac)
    • All disk icons are on the desktop. There are no drives letters, only volumes of any mounted drive.
    • Finder sidebar is very useful for shortcuts to commmon folders.
    • Flash drives just work, as soon as you plug them in. NO pop up or anything, they just work.
    • System wide address book and system wide spell check (even this post is being spell checked in Safari, though I am ignoring some because I am being lazy.
    • Services allow features in one app to be used in others, like you can highlight a word and tell it to look up in dictionary, no matter what program you are using.
    • No registry so you can add and remove programs all you want without infecting your system.
    • Drag and drop installation. Many programs can be installed via drag and drop, even MS Office.
    • You can make shotcuts to Windows server volumes and when you connect, they are just like another drive on your system.

THese are just things in the OS itself that are nice, of course I could get into the bundled apps later or I could even go into paid apps not available on Windows.

If you have any questions let me know.

Dale

9. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. No virus
    2. No spyware etc.
    3. It's the mac users preference
    4. Maybe more stable than windows but comments on both sides
    5. Macs Look WAY neater
    7. Travels easier
    8. Software package that works together. (Now there is a real advantage :)
    9. Great with graphics.

Others?

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have a friend that could absolutely use one.
    Where are you located? Oh, Florida, probably not worth the shipping, I sold an AIO on eBay once, fortunately I did a local pickup.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, yeah, one of my favorite things on a Mac is to say:

Just my 2¢ worth :)

As in 2¢ not $0.02 :)

Easy to do on a Mac, I still haven't figured out how to to a ¢ sign on windows.
    Not a big deal but fun anyway!

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ahh, but have you every actually used a Mac? And have you ever had a virus on one?
    I work with people very knowledgeable in networking etc. CCNAs ,MCSEs, and for a while a CCIE, but they came to me with Mac questions so knowing networking an PCs doesn't mean you know Macs.

13. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

No virus is incorrect. It should read to be not as prone to virus attacks as Windows. That would be correct. Numbers 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are personal opinions, that could be argued on either side. Being that the OS (Mac) is based on Unix, yes, it is far more stable of an operating system.

14. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

Yes. I have some to give away. Makes no difference if I've ever had a virus. Did you read the link I provided earlier about Macs and viruses? Mac is not immune to viruses. I don't make this stuff up. Do a Google search on it. Also, Macs and pc's both have the same components as far as hardware. A computer is a computer where hardware is concerned. The difference is the Apple stuff is propietary and not interchangeable with a pc. Parts for pc's are far more cheaper, and easier to get. A pc is far cheaper to fix than a Mac. I've done work on both, as far as repairing.

#34 Keith_Hodges, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I See those often, they are about some potential vulnerability etc.
    Again, while the Mac is not totally malware proof, I have never gotten one in 4 years. None of my friends or family that use Macs have had problems.
    You can google all you want. You can Google and find that Marilyn Monroe is alive and Married to Elvis but I am speaking from experience.
    The point is not that a Mac is totally immune from all malware, just that they basically never have a problem with any.

16. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

You're missing my point. I keep seeing in this thread that Macs cannot get a virus. That is false information. If you want to believe Marilyn Monroe is still alive, and Elvis sings at Lake Tahoe, or whatever, that's your business. There's a big difference between fact and fiction. As an adult Christian ( I am assuming that about you), you should be able to distinguish the difference, and accept facts when you see them. And not get bent about it when someone points it out.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I know Macs could get a virus, I am just saying that they are much more secure and that I have NEVER gotten one.

It is like this:
    You are a burgler
    You go into a small town.
    There are 100 houses in the town and you want to break into as many as possible.
    95 of the houses have wooded doors with locks on the handles
    5 of the houses have steel doors with dead-bolts.

Now, obviously with 95 houses, the wooden doors will have more break ins by the fact that there are so many more of them. BUT That does not negate that the five houses with steel doors and dead-bolts are more secure. Sure, you could break into it, but it would be a lot harder.
    So my point is, they are more secure in and of themselves, market share aside.

Oh, the Elvis thing was a joke, I didn't mean it offensively.
    These boards are hard sometimes to get your emotion across properly!

just my 2¢ :)

18. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

No problem. We agree. The reason I agree, is the fact that Macs are not as popular as Windows. The people that know how to break things on Windows, once they gain this knowledge, they share it over the Internet. That's where you get the term script kiddie. Some kid get's a hold of the exploit, is bored, and decides to go try it. The kid is successful, and brags about it. Other bored kids go try it, and it's a snowball effect. The crew up there in Redmond isn't fast enough to get the patch out before some damage is done, and the word gets out in the media. Hence, your wood door with a rope tying the door shut. Every robber and would be thief is getting their practice on the easy to access door. If the Mac were to gain in popularity as the Windows systems, you'll end up with the same problem. The people that like to break things are going after what is mostly available, and what they are more familiar with. This same thing applies to not only computers, but to software, and the coding that runs the software or application. PHP is far more popular than Cold Fusion or Ruby On Rails. So, you're going to see a lot more vulnerabilities with php apps than less popular apps.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well, I too agree with the popularity issue, but I still say that that is only part of it. It is two fold, less macs and they ar harder to get into equals less preblems. Less problems mean a better choice assuming all the apps you need are on the Mac platform, which for most users they are.

For what it is worth, I am typing this on a Fujitsu laptop I brought home from work. Kinda cool, it has a touch screen but a painfully small keyboard.
    I would like to see an Apple subnotebook like this soon!

20. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

Not really harder to get into. Your firewall and security set up controls that. If people can find ways to hack into a Linux or Unix server, they can find ways to hack into your Mac. Linux has gained in popularity quite a bit in the last few years. Mainly as a server platform, but it's picking up speed as a desktop solution as well. You can find plenty of exploits for Linux distros out right now. The great thing is that the open source community is really quick about finding a solution or patch to fix it. I don't know if Apple would be as fast, or even as fast as Microsoft. Microsoft has plenty of experience in patching holes, and plenty of staff to man it. Not sure what kind of manpower Apple would have available to work on a serious exploit that was difficult to solve.