1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Was Jane Fonda Not Tried for Treason???

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It will never be too late to remember what a traitor Hanoi Jane was and how she got away with it because of the liberal antiwar movement and a Congress without the courage it at the same time demanded of our warriors.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yea, that sounds like forgiveness.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I has nothing to do with forgiveness - just real good memory.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I am glad that God has forgotten my sins, and those of Ms. Fonda, and remembers them no more.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgotten...If you referred to a specific sin for which you have been forgiven, would God literally not know what you are talking about?

6. Magnetic Poles

No, obviously the Biblical reference is literary license, but you get the idea. Forgive and forget.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Are you sure He has forgotten Hanoi Jane's sins? It depends on whether or not she's been pardoned by Christ's saving grace doesn't it? She might be headed for an eternity in Hell. I don't know her status one way or the other and it's not my place to judge that.

I do, however, know what she did, can judge that, and I'm under no obligation to forget it whether she's forgiven or not. In fact it's my duty to remember what she did for the sake of those who were forever harmed by it.

8. Magnetic Poles

"Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us." - Jesus

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, we should forgive those that sin against us if we desire God to forgive us for our sins against Him. That's exactly what Jesus said and meant.

That does not require that we forget what someone did to us or to others nor does it require that we put aside the need for justice to be executed among us through our civil government. We have a duty to remember evil things done for the sake of those harmed by them - to bring them to light, to discourage them, to defend against them when appropriate - and to participate in justice among men through God's institution of civil government. Traitors should be brought to justice - tired, convicted if guilty, and punished according to their crime. We can judge the crime and yet not judge the criminal's eternal destiny. We can not rightfully attain revenge on our own authority but we can avenge wrongs through the sword of civil government.

#29 Dragoon68, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  10. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Of course, she committed no crime. I agree she was both immoral and inexcusable, but, like flag burning, her speech should be permissible... grotesque as it is/was.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

legal consequenses still exist for christians too, she should have been charged then. Some act as if a person can commit a crime and just because they are saved later they are no longer responsable for their crimes.
    if treason isn't a crime then what is it.

12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I agree that treason is a crime. Which is why the Constitution, including the First Amendment, should be enforced. ;)

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Have to Remember...

... that most Americans are not that much into the Word and what it teaches about "forgiveness", and even if they were, her betrayal is not going to be forgotten. I'm sure Benedict Arnold to Robert Hans had wished, deep down in their hearts, that they had not acted as they did against this country?

Secondly, it was Fonda that brought this subject back up (on Larry King), means that while she may be forgiven, she has yet to deal with it on a personal basis.

The truth is: to many Americans, she will always be the person who went to Nam and put down the men and women fighting for America.

You must have been born during, or, after Nam, and therefore, you would not truly understand the BETRAYAL that was experienced by those who were over there, otherwise, you'd be more understanding (or, maybe you wouldn't be???).

You also need to remember, that a good portion of the military was made up of draftees (I was drafted myself, but, chose to join to get a better choice of school/training).

Before you "flap your lips in the wind" make sure you know the history behind that war, and the fact that many men and women would rather have been home, not tramping through the swamps and rice paddies of that god-forsaken jungle!

With that said, I'll add this: If she has accepted Jesus, great! But, that doesn't take away the memory of her actions. History will always label her a traitor, even it it didn't meet the criteria of the Constitution.

Everyone should learn a lesson from Fonda... if you want to be remembered in a good way by society, than live a life that doesn't come back to "haunt" you 40 years later. No one forced Fonda to go over there and say what she said, and do what she did... she did that of her own free-will! The truth is, there will a whole lot of "hollywood types" who are remembered in a bad way, for their views on the wars this nation sends our military to fight. But, that is their right, to speak ill of the wars... and I personally knew several good men (one a very good friend from high school band) who died in Nam for your right to criticize me, and this post.

FINALLY, while she may be forgiven for her sins, her actions will never be forgotten by those whom she openly, and willingly BETRAYED!

While it is true that God told me to forgive... I don't see where He told me to forget... just like with you "mp", I forgive you for your overbearing, arrogant ways! I just won't forget that you are judgmental, and that will help me to know from which direction the "knife is coming!" And, that way, I can protect myself from people like you, on this particular Christian forum/board! :smilewinkgrin:

Shalom, and that means "peace" to you mp...

Pastor Paul :type:

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I doubt there would have been enough evidence to convict her of treason. A trail would have been a circus that most likely would have don more harm then good.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

All the evidence is that this woman is now our sister in Christ. Her action, as foolish, silly, and inexcusable was not treason and it is now under the blood of her Saviour.

Rather than attack, belittle, and seek the wrath of God and man on her should we not be encouraging her to deal with these issues? She is relatively a babe in Christ. She spent most of her life in the wickedness and sin of the moral cesspool of Hollywood film making.

I for one, am old enough to remember the incident. I too had friends who died in Vietnam. I think we should be praying that God sends her a godly mentor to help her deal with her past properly and lay it aside once and forever. It seems obvious from the Larry King interview that this still is on her mind and troubles her. Perhaps some believer should lovingly write to her and advise her as a sister in Christ on how to deal with this in a way which shows loving compassion instead of harsh judgement?

I really messed up in the 60s and 70s. I messed up after my salvation. God and his people have been very gracious in helping me over those issues. Perhaps we should do the same for Jane Fonda and stop referring to her as 'Hanoi Jane' and instead call her 'sister?'

#35 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't disagree with you... but, she has not accepted the fact that what she did will not pass from the minds of those whom she stepped on.

Instead of telling Larry that her being remembered as Hanoi Jane was simply a "myth" from those on the right, why didn't she take the time, on national televison, to ask for forgiveness for her actions. Would that not have been the right action on her behalf?

She is still in denial, and a good portion of America is still in rememberance of her misdeeds. That is fact, and it won't change.

Why don't you write her and suggest, out of love, that she consider going before the world, like she did 40 years ago, and ask their forgiveness. This is what Ted Haggard did when he fell from grace a few years ago.

Most Americans are willing to forgive those who repent and ask to be forgiven. But, Fonda claims that she is the one who is being "picked on."

I didn't write this post to bring up the question of forgiveness... I wrote it because I couldn't believe that she was still contending that she did NOTHING wrong.

As for her being a born-again Christian... I did not know she was a believer, and a big part of me feels for her... it is hard to go forward being remembered for what she is branded for. But, I think I'd ask, not only for God to forgive me, but, for the world to forgive me.

It is one thing to stand before God and ask Him to forgive me... and even a greater thing to stand before the world that she slammed, and ask to be forgien. I hope you agree with this, but, if you don't, I won;t be losing any sleep!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course that would be right, but perhaps no brother or sister in Christ has guided her in the right direction. The Bible principle is that the offended brother go to the offending party. I am no longer offended.

18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were You In the Military, C4K

That is a fair question. Were you in the military during the Viet Nam war???:tonofbricks:

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am, I think, a little younger than you. Vietnam finished while I was wrapping up college in ROTC and preparing to go. My dad serve two terms there in the mid-60s. Several of my upper classmen from ROTC were already there. I was deeply offended and hurt by her actions, but 40 years have passed. I look back at all the stupidity of those days, mine included. I see her as my sister in Christ and have chosen to no longer be offended by this event. As my sister in Christ I will pray that she sees the wisdom of saying something that will help ease the pain of those who are still affected by her foolishness.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I once heard her apologize for doing what she did, but few of these posters here would accept it or would scrutinize it to the point that it would be rejected. If a person is bound to be offended, there is nothing one can do to alleviate their misery.

Although I thought her actions were definitely wrong, I was more offended by a government that would send our soldiers to fight and die in a war such as Vietnam where, in my opinion, we should not have been in the first place.