1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Was Jesus Tempted?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, you think this was the only time Jesus was tempted?

Mat 19:3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

Mat 22:16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
    17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
    18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Mar 8:11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.
    12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

Always with the games.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Where did I mention any specific temptations? I mentioned 3 ways one can be tempted. those three ways are lust of the flesh, eyes, and pride of life. That's why in Matthew 4 Jesus is tempted to show the 3 ways we are tempted. I never said anything about those being the only time someone attempted to temp Christ.

#42 jbh28, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

:thumbs:

Correct, Jesus had 2 natures. Human and divine. He was completely human and completely God. He had no sin nature.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm not disagreeing, just asking a question for clarification. Do you believe that Jesus' human nature was the same as Adam's prior to the fall?

If not, what was the difference and how can it be referred to as "human" if its not the same as that of any human?

If so, do you admit that Jesus human nature was corruptible as Adam's obviously was?

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God one LORD: Deut, 6:4 KJV without is
    Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT) hear you! Israel Yahweh Elohim-of-us Yahweh one
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
    Greek Interlinear Bible (NT) from Scripture4all.org
    In original was the saying and the saying was toward The God and God was the saying this was in original toward The God.

Is this speaking of one God A Spirit or being or something else?

Did this God impregnate the virgin Mary by His Spirit and she brought forth (gave birth) to her first born son and they called his name Jesus. AND
    And the Word became flesh, John 1:14
    This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. 1 John 5:6 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: ! John 4:2

Did God reproduce himself in the seed of the woman as flesh just as he had created the first man Adam a living soul and took the woman from him or was this some kind of omnipresence of God?

Was the Christ truly the seed of David and of Abraham? Jesus asked this question. Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he?
    They answered, They say unto him, [The Son] of David.
    Jesus didn't reprove them he just asked another question.
    How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
    If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Then it says they did not ask him question after that. Because they could not answer how this son of David could be David's Lord.

They should have known for Abraham knew.

This only begotten of God the Father just as his figure Adam came as a living soul and died. Died for Adam and for all who have died in Adam. But God the Father did not leave is soul in Hades (hell). God the Father did not leave him dead. He gave him life again which Abraham believed God would with Isaac because God had made a promise to him concerning Isaac that could not happen if Isaac were dead. Abraham understood what death meant. Most do not. Most do not believe Jesus died that is was paid the wages of sin.

This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified (killed), both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:32-36

The only begotten of the Father by a woman died and God the Father anointed him with life again.

WE are the begotten children of God the Father by the Holy Spirit through the risen Jesus who received the promise of the Holy Spirit form the Father, to give to us. See verse 33.

I believe this says a lot about the nature of Jesus, temptation and other things.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    winman I think we are pretty much in agreement. He did not have a sin nature but He was indeed capable of being tempted.

If you mean by "lust", hunger thirst, etc... then yes.
    But do you think He ever looked upon a woman with lust? I don't even like to put that into words.

The reason I think He felt some kind of "pull" or influence upon His flesh was the sweat of blood in the garden.

I notice also that Jesus temptations were always external - from satan, pharisees.

HankD

#46 HankD, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hank, I know what you are saying, and I too have great difficulty believeing Jesus could be tempted by a woman, and we never see that in scripture.

But... Hebrews 4:15 says he was tempted in ALL POINTS as we are, yet without sin.

I am sure he recognized beautiful women, and it is probably certain women approached him. But I get the impression that Jesus was so strong at resisting temptation that he put off such temptation immediately.

But temptation seemed to wear on Jesus, in Mark 8:11-12 it says the Pharisees tempted him seeking a sign from heaven, and that Jesus "sighed deeply in his spirit". So, he certainly seemed to experience frustration.

These ARE difficult questions.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. The incarnation is an awesome and glorious fact.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

HankD

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Skandelon

Wouldn't it be more consistent for Calvinists to argue that Jesus was unable to be willing to sin? I mean, surely you acknowledge that Jesus had the physical ability to eat the bread and throw himself off a cliff, right?

Isn't that the distinction Calvinists typically make when attempting to define their views of biblical free will? If a man does what he wants, then it is free, right? So, Christ was free, and thus able to do what ever he wanted, right?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God cannot die, yet Christ did. God is omniscient, yet Christ did not know the time of His return. The hypostatic union cannot always be viewed in black and white.,,,,,,,,

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Jesus cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit. Mt 27:50

And Jesus uttered a loud voice, and gave up the ghost. Mk 15:37

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up his spirit. Jn 19:30

When all was accomplished He willed to give up His spirit. His death was a deliberate act on His part. IMO, He could still be hanging on the cross, alive, today, if He so willed it.

#52 kyredneck, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
  13. Skandelon

Never got an answer to this one...

14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

[
    [/QUOTE]

Again, while on the earth, God the Son became the man jesus Christ...

Asa man, God could and did experience ALL things that we do as a human, yet NO SIN!

And while on earth in human form, jesus did make the decision to "limit" the use of His divine attributes, and as such could "not" know things, feel pain, sleep etc !

Now back ascended to heaven , Jesus is now "back" to rehaving His full lnowledge, power etc, as he Himself said, ALl AUTHORITy given to Him now once again!

kenosis of Apostle Paul stated that Jesus when coming to earth decided to "limit" Himself while upon the earth, and once raised again to Heaven, was "granted" back the glory that he had with the father in heaven as per John 17, "real Lords prayer!"

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't hold your breath.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be unsanitary anyway.

17. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jesus could have sinned while on earth, then His immutability dictates that He could still sin today. Impeccability and immutability are two sides of the same coin.
    Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
    (KJV)

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jesus as a man (IMO) was like Adam before he fell. Perfect in every way. But Jesus is also God in human flesh, therefore even though Jesus could experience what temptation was, just as we do, He was still God, who cannot sin.

It's not something that my little brain can comprehend. I just take it by faith.