1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Was Ol' Spurgeon Opposed To...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kubel

kubel New Member

Good post tinytim. I was just about to post Psalms 150. The first half of Psalms 149 goes into praise through music as well (the rest talks about slaying the wicked, but that's another service :laugh: ).

Psalms 149:1-3 (KJV)

Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints. Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King. Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp...

Now true, this is the OT- a different time, a different place, a different people- but it's still the same God, and if it's commanded here (condoned at the very least), something tells me that Praise ye the LORD hasn't changed all that much over the years. We can still praise Him with song, praise Him in the congregation of saints, and praise Him with musical instruments. And I dare say in a Baptist discussion board, even praise Him with DANCE! :eek:

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

If we go back to the OT for evidence that musical instruments should be used in our church services, do we stop there or also appoint musicians as a church offices as was done in the OT with Asaph and his sons, as part of the priestly duty?

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Psalm 66:1
    "Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands"

I prefer not to overthink everything God said, it doesn't have to be so complicated, but maybe that's just me.

love,

Sopranette

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

There's a regularitory principle???? Like a formula? How'd that work back in the day when they worshiped house to house?

Larry, does your church not have a regular pianst/organist who plays every worship service? Does that not constitute a church office/position same as maybe a SS teacher? I guess I'm a little confused by your statement.

5. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The regulatory principle is simply worshiping according to what God specifically prescribes regarding the elements of worship. The alternative is to worship freely so long as it doesn't go against what God forbids.

We do have a couple of people that play the piano/organ, but they are not office holders in our church (and neither are sunday school teachers). On the OT the singers and musicians were part of the priestly order...and that order no longer exists in the NT.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What type of songs do you sing?

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Hymns and modern praise songs.
    Unfortunately we don't sing the Psalms as well.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Should the Regulative Principle mean that you only sing Psalms?

2. Or am I confusing all groups who adhere to the RP with those who use only the Psalms to sing from?

9. larryjf

larryjf New Member

As far as i know all exclusive psalmody folks do adhere to the Psalms because they adhere to the regulative principle.

But, not all regulative principle folks agree with exclusive psalmody.

The difference comes from interpretation of Eph 5:19.

Exclusive Psalmody basically teaches that "psalms and hymns and spiritual songs" refers to different titles of the Psalms as found in the Septuagint.
    Those who don't hold to Exclusive Psalmody basically teach that the phrase refers to the wide variety of songs that we are commanded to sing to God, and that it shows that we are not restricted to the book of Psalms.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

1. So it is even a matter of interpretation among the RP folks.

2. Where does that leave us Normative folks?

11. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Yes, as with most differences in the Church it is a matter of interpretation.

The normative folks don't really have an issue here because instruments are not forbidden in Scripture, and singing other songs are not forbidden either.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I thought you would be giving me a three point argument as to why the RP way is the way to go. :thumbs:

13. larryjf

larryjf New Member

I guess on some non-essential issues i don't really feel compelled to have to convince others.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I can live with that. :thumbs: