1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Living_stone, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Living_stone

Living_stone New Member

Why are there so many different views on what scripture means? Which ones are correct?

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well I tell ya I have no idea... I think its awesome when I read one scripture one day then the next day I read it and takes on a whole new meaning or way of looking at it. Sometimes I wonder if the scolars who put the punctuation marks in the bible in the right place. :D

(ex)
    Isa 59:19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

If the comma was after the word "in"...
    When the enemy shall come in,
    like a flood the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.

(BTW, I can't take credit for this my aunt showed this to me. Still it has stuck with me.) [​IMG]

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because the "natural tendancy of man" is to resort to a "Pope". In the best case they choose one that is not tainted by the crimes against humanity comitted in the dark ages - but STILL our inclination is to seek out concensus within some man-made tradition.

Simply going to God's Word and "believing whatever it tells you" no matter WHAT your traditional heretage - is hard to do. But that is not because the Holy Spirit is "not sufficient" or the Word is "not readable" - it is because we WANT to IGNORE the Word of God when our tradition finds it "inconvenient" !

When that happens we call those texts "difficult" and "hard to explain". Because in many case we really mean "hard to explain away". It is not uncommon to hear someone say "HEY I thought I already refuted that TEXT"! (which should "tell" you something!)

Surely you see yourself doing that.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Living_stone

Living_stone New Member

I don't know why this double posted...the other one was my longer one. Reply there.

This THREAD is DEAD. Can a moderator delete it?