1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This past year ABC TV has been airing a "reality" program called "Wife Swap". Two ladies from different parts of the country and different backgrounds swap their lives for two weeks.

This weeks epsoide was about a Pastors wife and an athiest.

Was wondering if anybody caught the show, and your thoughts about it.:rolleyes:

Salty

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I didn't see it. I'm not into reality shows, but I do hope all the good Christians acted like mmmmm wellllll good Christians :praying:

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Frankly my gut reaction is to wonder how a pastor's wife could possibly have the time to or inclination to leave her life behind for two whole weeks. I also wonder WHAT ON EARTH WAS SHE THINKING!? Letting an athiest take her place for two weeks? Did she let this woman run/participate in her ministries for her, too? Did she think that having an athiest as a direct influence over her children for TWO WHOLE WEEKS would be a GOOD idea? I could go on and on...............letting some other woman have the care of her husband. Where do these ladies sleep for these two weeks? The whole idea just gives me the creeps. And I wonder how any woman calling herself a Christian could participate in this show. It certainly doesn't avoid the appearance of evil, and I think it more than opens the door for temptation. Its almost asking for an affair to happen. In the least it opens up the door for one or the other partner to start thinking they could have it better with someone else.
    In the case of a pastor's wife, what kind of message does it send to their church?

OTOH, could it all just be fake in order to get us interested?

#3 bapmom, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Bapmom, I have issues with the show as well, although as far as having an affair goes, that doesn't happen. I heard an interview on this and they said that none of the couples ever even got close to that, due to the fact that there is so much hostility and dislike in most cases between the people. Also, cameras are pretty much going all the time -- they just edit them out for the show. The wife sleeps in a guest room or some other room - never in the main bedroom unless the husband has vacated it to sleep in the den or something.

I suppose the pastor's wife thought that maybe she could bring a good influence on the atheist family. I did see this show but it was awhile back and have forgotten most of it.

Personally, I could not do this myself. The show's producers seem to try to get the families as opposite as possible in order to have fireworks. They weren't like this in the beginning - it was more benign. But toward the end of the season, they began to deliberately get volatile people opposite of each other in the same home. That's when I quit watching - seems like they were heading toward a Jerry Springer type show.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thanks Marcia :)

I noticed that they were purposely getting opposites together, too. I guess I could see where a Christian might think they could use it as an opportunity to witness....but I don't really see it myself. It's also the fact that she's a pastor's wife, with more people watching her as their example than the average lay"lady". If she believes it was God telling her to participate, well......I know God might do different things with different people.......still makes me wonder though.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no comment, as these idiotic reality shows are often staged; people DO act differently than normal when they know the camera's running. If such garbage was all that was on TV, I'd D/C the cable & hook an X-Box to the TV.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Let's pray the athiest will turn to Christ and her family will call her blessed.

Then let's pray for the pastors wife, she has two hard weeks ahead of her. If we lift her up in prayer she may convert the family also.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

ummm bap, could you tell us how you really feel? :smilewinkgrin:

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1 Timothy, chapter 5

Chapter
    Book

"14": I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

I can just hear our church and neighborhood if something like that took place here to which it never will, I might add.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You might be surprised what goes on in your community. Sometime go with a police officer.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, I think I am old enough to know some of the things that go on but in this case "I am the Pastor". :applause: :applause:

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Which means you are the one they hide their sinfulness from. I did a house wedding once and could tell they couldn't wait for me to leave.

13. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Neither me nor my family watch TV.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Generally they do not know that much about the woman they are swapping with it appears. But the show purposely chooses people who are on the extreme end of each other for the conflict.

I would think calling someones salvation into question is uncalled for, and not the least bit scriptural.

Yeah, bet the gossip runs rampet in those peoples lives.
    Always got to think the worst of everyone but ourselves don't we.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You did say "we" and that is my point.

Now that you have agreed that people would talk about you, what about Scripture that says:

1 Timothy, chapter 5
    "14": I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.

Seems to me they would be going against Scripture especially knowing that people would think the worst. What kind of light is that and what kind of upbuilding to the church is that?

16. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You scared me to death, Salty!

I thought you were proposing a Baptist Board wife swap.

Probably wouldn't be wild enough to make it on network TV though.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Wife Swap" I can't think of anything more demeaning to women that comes on television other than perhaps "The Man Show" or "The Simple Life" or "The Girls Next Door".

Why would any woman with any grain of self-respect want to watch this stupidity?

Why would any person in general with half of a brain cell want to watch this craziness?

18. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the same reason that people watch "American Idol".:laugh:

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why would people necessarily think the worst just because you do, and never can seem to find anything good about anyone or anything on just about any topic on here.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

We don't watch american idol and have only seen wife swap about 5 times, we just don't do reality tv