1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You said it all here. Just think about it--when they say "Christian"--I'm sure this is what the secular world's definition of "Christian" is and that is usually completely different than what a "Christian" thinks a "Christian" is. So, I wouldn't assume too much about this woman on the reality show.

I think half or more of these are set-ups just like championship wrestling and that stupid talk show where they fight each other (can't even remember the duffuses name).

After all, we know that in a reality show the trick is to make the conflict as strong as possible to make it exciting, so they are going to pick two people or groups of people who are vocal and will demonstrate that they will put on a good show of fighting with each other.

See, you just answered your own questions here.

2. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    **GASP!!**
    donnA are you sayin' you don't anything to do with reality?:smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

That's okay, I'm a legend in my own mind.:thumbs:

Rob

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I didn't know you had those kind of feelings against me. I am glad to know so I can be more careful.

Seems to me you are the one who always have something negative to say about people like the following:
    Also, I don’t know when I have said anything about anyone except to return remarks like yours. I would not of had anything to say about your remarks if you hadn't jumped on mine first.

The show is rated:
    "Wife Swap" is broadcast with Spanish subtitles via secondary closed captioning. This program carries a TV-PG,L parental guideline.

TV-PG,L
    This program contains one or more of the following: intense violence (V), intense sexual situations (S), strong coarse language (L), or intensely suggestive ...

#23 Brother Bob, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

donnA, I honestly was not calling her salvation into question. I simply was pointing out that by calling ourselves Christians we open up our lives a bit more to being held to higher expectations from those unsaved who are watching us. If we don't always live up to them, that doesn't mean we aren't saved.......I never implied that it would mean that.

Also, Phillip, I think maybe it's not a fake, as someone gave me the website of the pastor's wife who did the show.

I agree that now that she's doing it we ought to pray for her that all goes well and that she is able to be a good witness to the family she is with.

But I also anticipate that the show is only being put out there because the producers want the conflict.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

can't you tell, I stay away from reality as much as possible. :tongue3:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

bapmom, did the pastor's wife talk about the show on her web site? Just curious what she had to say about it.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If I'm nice and keep quiet, somehow what I'm thinking STILL manages to be said on here! [​IMG]

I saw a commercial for the man show a few years ago. It's still on? Yikes! All I remember was "girls on trampolines".
    Do they have a woman show? And what would that be? Men on...couches?
    Martians probably have their own show. "Humans on Earth". :D

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

demeaning -- that seems to be the main theme of reality TV.

I will pray for this gal and her husband, because since they've decided to do this, I do want their testimonies to be representative of our Saviour.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

mcdirector;
    Not saying anything negative to you at all. Seems some get offended very easy at me and I don't know why.

How could it be a good testimony for the Lord. Even the seculars knew the show need to be rated PG L. I for one do not understand why she did it.

They came here in the mountains and tried to do a reality show and we knew they were going to make us look like Beverly Hill Billies. Thank goodness our politicians stopped it for others would of laughed at our expense. The same thing is true here. They picked her because she is a Christian and not only that but a Pastor's wife so the world can laugh at her and degrade her. I feel sorry for her for she will have to try and overcome this when it is over.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Bro Bob -- I don't understand your comment to me. I'm not in the least offended in any way and am completely in the dark about your comment.

I mentioned "demeaning" because it came directly from Scarlett's post which Gina quoted.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I didn't mean that at all. I don't think you are offended. I just didn't want you to be by my answer to your post and was saying so before hand. If you misunderstood please forgive.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Oh! you were proactive!

Bob, I work with 8th graders. I don't have any feeling left to get offended! :tongue3:

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

AND I agree that I don't think much good will come out of this, but since they've made their bed, so-to-speak, I just pray they are the best testimonies they can be.

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I like the Beverly Hillbillies; it reminds me of home. Seriously.

The few times that I've watched Wife Swap, it either highlighted a nutcase or it was respectful for the most part. But, that may not have been selling, so it might have been changed.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My wife taught for over 30 years. She taught 4th grade but is now retired and lays in the pool every day along with daughter and granddaughter and a lot of kin. All I do is keep the pool clean. :)

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I liked Beverly Hillbillys too but didn't want to be shown on TV that eastern Kentucky was a bunch of Hicks when there is more millioniares here than almost anywhere because of the coal.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As of this post, there have been responses from 15 BB members. Wow, and I think there were about 25 opinions!

I believe one wanted to know about sleeping arragements. No, non-related individuals DO NOT sleep together. In fact, Kelly insisted that an ABC producer would ALWAYS be in both houses. (ABC rules dictate that the visting mom is not allowed to change diapers or other activites that could possibly cause a problem)

I just finished a chat session on Kellys web site. One individual came on board just to see what it was all about. Since they did not give an assurance of Salvation, Kelly began to witness to her.

I would invite you to check out Kellys web site: http://www.biblegal.org/beliefs.html

Salty

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So Bob, you got yourself a "cement pond". After sitting out there all day, I bet a mess of granny's possum belly would hit the spot! :tongue3:

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We don't need no stinkin' cement pond up here!

[​IMG]

Now, for the disclaimer: I know none of these people, and we use the cement pond at the high school for swimming, although a few people do surf here.

20. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Bob,
    Whereabouts in Eastern Kentucky are you from?
    My Wife was born in Elkhorn City, KY. The biggest town close to them is Pikeville, KY.
    We try to go back down to Kentucky about once a year to visit her family that is still down there.
    Small world, Brother.

Rob