1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Did anyone watch this last night

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Is this some kind of rebellious post because I just asked Ann to offer to take a female member into the private forum for couseling whom refered to this show, amongst other things such as adultery?

Seems a strange coincidence

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of the show, BUT from the title it seems that this is one of those shows that, if a Christian were going to watch, it would be when alone with all the blinds pulled.:tear:

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Cute comments, its on ABC so it has to be clean

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, I've seen it 2 or 3 times, what they do is trade places, and live the others life for 2 weeks, they usually use 2 families that are so totally different from each other thats theres sure to be controversy. It is not a show about s*x, it's about family life. But we do not watch it, because I think they need to stay home with their own children and husband, but they get paid something like $50,000 which apparently is attractive.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Cute comments from who? Also, I asked you a question if you would be so kind to answer.

(FTR, I assumed it wasn't a nasty show despite the title.)

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I would agree with you, it's not good for children (obviously) to be parented by pretend parents

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Some of those wives aren't even good parents to their own children, and they are supose to parent someone elses children for 2 weeks.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few years ago, a pastor and his wife went on wife swap. After the show, Kelly started a webstie. She is now known as BIBLEGAL. If you click on her web, you will see there are many hurdles to jump thur to get onto WifeSwap.

sALTY

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I like to watch it with my husband because his reactions to it are hilarious! He is more entertaining than the show. Most of the people on that show are a little nutty. Some are REALLY nutty.

I didn't see it last night because I was at church. What was it about?

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

:laugh:

Now that is the funniest thing I heard all day.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I do know what it is; I've seen a few minutes of it while exercizing my right thumb with the remote! Didn't know the name of the show - it seemed so idiotic that I didn't spend any time with it.
    Bolded, italicized, & underlined mine.

Not having looked at the website, but just going by the info here, this seemingly would fit in perfect with the thread about "relevance" on the BB.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't watched it in a long time but I was invited to be on it by one of the producers and there is NO WAY that they could ever pay me enough to bring in what would absolutely be a satanic person into my home. Why would I place someone in my home to be an authority who does not have Christ as her Lord and Savior? They will match you up with polar opposites to you so the crunchy, Birkie wearing hippie mama will be paired up with a city princess. The Bible believing wife will swap with a wiccan. The majorly athletic mom will be paired with the lazy fat woman who eats bon-bons all day. Why would I entertain someone with complete opposite values and beliefs from me? And in the 2nd week their in your home, you must follow THEIR rules! No way no how. It's a sick show and one I will not watch again.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am certainly I agreement with Ann. Week 2 they make the rules, and try and sway your family into their beleifs, and they frequently change people opinions and views, sounds way too dangerous for christians.

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL... Bring it on!!!

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, you have non-christians (for the most part) that will edit the show prior to it running on T.V.

Usually, the Christians on these shows are not shown in a very good light. I don't think it would be a good idea to put yourself in such a position.

peace to you:praying:

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What a way to serve God and upbuild your church. Sheeesh!

I started to say, I couldn't believe a Pastor and his wife participated, but after some of the things I have read on BB, I believe.

BBob,

18. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, I don't think there is anyway they could edit out everything as I would probably arrange every sentence to send a message. You'ld have to know me when I get in a "playful" mood. Funny part is thinking about a Satanic person/parent trying to discuss theology with my 16 year old daughter who takes on all comers in issues of morality and the existence of God, to include teachers and students, and is sharp as a tack. It's almost as if she has trained for something like that her whole life. ;)

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

If you wanted to do something like this you would have to look a the balance between your opportunity to share Christ with another family and the world through the show vs the possible negative effects on your own family. With smaller children in the home I would not do it. You know they are going to edit everything to make your beliefs very extreem sounding.

They have had a lot of professing Christians on the show and the visiting "Mom" goes with them to church during week 1. You know you would get to share the gospel several times.

It is really the balance we fight every day between proclaiming our faith and protecting it.

20. readmore

readmore New Member

I saw the episode you are talking about. I thought it was a good illustration of some of the problems with both extremes of Christianity. On one hand, you had a very conservative family who felt that the only point of existence for women is to make their husbands' food and proudly proclaimed that they "brainwash" their children, and on the other hand, you have parents that seemed to encourage their daughters to get into inappropriate relationships, and were reluctant to say that if they "made a mistake" before marriage that it would be sin.

This was one of their funniest episodes. My favorite part was where they debated the meaning of doulos (or at least debated how to pronounce it). I was also a little shocked when the one dad told the swapped wife that he was proud about how he had been brainwashing his children since birth. He totally came off like a cult leader. And then the next day the wife brought it up to his kids what he said, and you could see it shook their faith a little, and then he went into that lame explanation about how he just meant "brain-washed" as in "washed in the blood of Jesus". That's not what he meant. As parents we need to teach our kids how to think critically and guide them into truth so that they can internalize it on their own-not brainwash them.

Don't be quick to judge the show, especially if you haven't seen it and are just going by the name. I haven't seen every show, but I've never seen any inappropriate behavior, and almost every show they bring people that are from two different extreme backgrounds into each others' lives, and they almost always leave bringing some kind of balance. For some examples, families that keep their homes extremely dirty are shown how to keep things a little tidier; families that run household chores like a prison camp are shown that maybe they don't really have to dust every unseen inch of the house every day for hours; families where the parents are very distant from the children are shown the value of spending time with and nurturing their kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.