1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

If that means acting holier than thou or snubbing people then I will have my relationship with Christ and study the bible and have my time with Him. I live a Godly life I just dont act holier than thou, theres a big difference. When we act holier than thou we turn people away, thats why attending a come as you are church has been a huge life changing event for me. Because you can live in the world and love the Lord. It has been shown to me many times, and now I have shown my friends that.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The authority in our Home is the Lord; no television show could replace that Authority, plain and simple! As per the second week (and having to obey their rules) there would simply be no worship of another god in anything we did, so that commitment would shine through and only serve to make an example out of a false god as being a liar when exposed to the light of the truth. As for being “part of the world” we do not live like them because of being exposed to them, not even temporarily do our values change, Jesus came to save sinners and went among them to witness. The statement about bowing down to false idols and praying to them by legal contract is a strawman motivated by fear; I’ve seen a little of the shows and there was enough leeway given to contrary situations to easily deal with this IMO.

Further, I know this has been discussed here before, but what does it mean to abstain from all appearance of evil? To hide from it while shaking in your boots??? PROVE all things, hold fast to that which is good, abstain from the appearance of evil, AND the very God of peace “SANTIFY” you wholly. In “THIS” I KNOW therefore I do not fear that I will be persevered “BLAMELESS” unto the coming of our Lord; in my faith by His righteousness and judgment through grace.

A Satanist’s (unbeliever’s) mind will tell them that we (Christians) are there to judge them, but patience in getting the message across about the truth is what love for thy neighbor is all about. Many seem so fast to judge others as having no hope.

(1Th 5:14) Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

(1Th 5:15) See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

(1Th 5:16) Rejoice evermore.

(1Th 5:17) Pray without ceasing.

(1Th 5:18) In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

(1Th 5:19) Quench not the Spirit.

(1Th 5:20) Despise not prophesyings.

(1Th 5:21) Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

(1Th 5:22) Abstain from all appearance of evil.

(1Th 5:23) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not “fellowship” does not mean not associate, it means do not share in being a participant in darkness which is unfruitful. So we should reprove them (hard to do with no association) The fruit is seen in the things (which are not done in secret) nor could reproof come by “secret” (privately) but the fruit comes in the manifestation of light.

(Eph 5:11) And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

(Eph 5:12) For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

(Eph 5:13) But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

I’m told, “be ye not conformed to this world” am I’m not, I am transformed by the renewing of my mind (which comes from within God’s instructions in the Word and guidance from the HS) and which is an ongoing process and often in the face of tribulation, but that is the only way I can prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God in a world of unbelievers.

Romans 12:2: And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Where is the spiritual courage? Will you not eat with the sinners, the unrighteous, in order to present the truth?

The Pharisees asked: Why does your Master eat with the publicans and sinners?

(Mat 9:11) And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

(Mat 9:12) But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

(Mat 9:13) But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

4. standingfirminChrist

The Word of God is clear... we are not to invite those who do not bring the doctrine that we have received into our home.

We cannot justify allowing them into our home for two weeks in hopes of being a witness to them when the Word God expressly commands us not to bring them into our home.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would imagine the Pharisees in Mathew 9 would interpret the sciptures in much the same way. I see no "walls" of that sort in "my" home.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

...because that is exactly what the author had in mind when he wrote that letter.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So you never have unsaved people over for dinner and a Bible study?

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concept of hospitality in the Johannine Epistles relates to traveling missionaries for heretical groups, not to this.

9. standingfirminChrist

Pastor Larry,

No, we don't. We live in a small one bedroom apartment and there is hardly room for just the two of us.

We do invite unsaved people to the place we go to worship and hear the Word of God.

We witness wherever we go.

But we do not bring the lost into our home. God's Word forbids it.

2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

The Word clearly states not to bring them over to your home if they are not bringing the doctrine of Jesus Christ with them.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

1. I've snubbed no one
    2. You've bragged over and over agian about your ungodly life and intentions

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will be happy to eat with the sinners and the unrighteous. I have people in my life who are not saved. I have also had some stay at my home. However, they will not be bringing a different gospel. They will not be teaching me untruths. AND most importantly, they will not have access to teach my children a different gospel. Wife Swap will be sure that the person who is matched up with a Christian is the polar opposite - most likely either an athiest or a wiccan - and THEIR goal is to indoctrinate us. I will not subject my children to that. Hey - I don't even send my young children to school! Why would I invite wrong teaching into my home?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This would absolutely be inviting a heretical group into your home. I think it's SO speaking of this sort of thing. There's a big difference between someone who you have been ministering to and you will help a physical need while continuing to minister to them and having this person into your home to take over. That's what they do in week 2. Take over. They can decide you will not pray before a meal. You will have to throw out your Bibles. You will not go to church. You will go to a drum circle. You will join a chant worshipping the sun. That's the kind of things that I've seen happen.

I have to say, though. There's a sweet woman on another board I'm on who was a wiccan - but an absolute doll. We laughed at how if we were both on Wife Swap, they'd pair us together. I've been praying for her. Guess what? In the last 2 months, she was saved, baptized and married the father of her 2 children! God is good. :)

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hey mom and dad, what are you watching?

Oh, hi kids, we were just watching "wife swaping".

Why, you been thinking about doing that?

Well, no I guess not, we just wanted to see what it would be like.

Oh ;)

Maybe the children could get one of those "channel blocks"??

If its ok for a Pastor and his wife to get on TV and "wife swap", why do they need the TV channel, why not just do it, with another couple, I hear they are out there. Maybe on the Wed evening service, everyone could go home with someone else's wife and bring them back on Sunday. It could be some kind of "field" trip, or something?

BBob,

#53 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  14. Joe

Joe New Member

Agreed. This is my interpretation of it. We also have unsaved people in our home, but they do not bring a different gospel. Overall, they share similar value systems and beliefs, but there are exceptions once in a while. Bring a different doctrine into our home and I will show them the door.

15. standingfirminChrist

John did not say if they bring a different gospel. He said 'if they bring not this doctrine.'

If they don't bring the doctrine of Christ with them, we are not to bring them into our home.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

2 John 1; 7-11 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh[/B]. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we[a] do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.
    9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

SFIC, It appears this is speaking specifically about a specific group of unsaved individuals. People whose purpose it is to demolish the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

It's a warning not to be swayed into abandon ones responsibilities to God. Work is an act of faith.

It is translated lose where it is found in many times in the Gospel as referring to being lost.

We cannot lose our salvation by having a particular group visiting in our home. Only certain unsaved individuals are not to be in our homes

#56 Joe, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  17. standingfirminChrist

Actually, the anti-christ's that John wrote in verse 8 don't bring the doctrine anyway. They have their own doctrine.

I believe John is speaking of anyone, not just anti-christ's, who bring not the gospel.

John was telling them many would try to deceive. Don't let anyone who does not bring the doctrine of Christ into your home and you will not have to worry 'have I allowed an anti-christ or heretic to come through my portals?"

The home is supposed to be a safe-haven, why put it in danger?

#57 standingfirminChrist, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

She's also a charismatic.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok I agree about the deceived part. That is the principal of it

Yet this would include people who desire to learn the truth. If they cannot come into our home for a bible study, then how can a Christian disciple them? Imho, it's not my Pastors job to do this at church.
    And what if they are homeless and it's raining? Where do we study with them?

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That's a good reason.

The NT gives no indication that we are to do this.

No it doesn't. Jesus did it.

It would help to have understanding of this verse. The "house" there is probably the church, since the church was meeting in the elect ladies house (depending on how you understand "elect lady"). Second, the idea here has to do with promoting or tolerating their teaching. It has nothing to do with inviting them over for evangelism.

The idea of a pastor being "hospitable" may in fact have to do with evangelism and welcoming unbelievers into him home for evangelism.

So we can see that your understanding is incorrect on this.

Having said that, wife swap (the three minutes I saw one time) is an absolutely stupid show like most "reality TV" is. Christians have better things to do than watch it and certainly better things to do than participate in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.