1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

Ever hear of doughnut shops? I have witnessed to many through the years sitting over a cup of coffee and a doughnut at Krispy Kreme. Also a pizza parlor's and such.

But John is explicit in saying that those who bring not the doctrine were not to be allowed in the house of the believer.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

"If they bring not this doctrine" means just that. My unsaved friends do not bring a doctrine into my house. They bring no doctrine into my house.

I'll go look up the word doctrine....

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said.

It is also highly likely that John may have had in mind a "formal reception" of the heretical missionary.

Contemporary application: don't host a Mormon in your church by letting him preach and giving him a potluck.

I do think there are nuances of individual application, though. For example, I would not host Mormon missionaries in my home, as that would be enabling their religious activities.

4. standingfirminChrist

Pastor Larry,

Can you provide the Scripture that says Jesus invited unsaved people into His home?

Funny, my Bible says Jesus did not have a home of His own here on earth.

'... the Son of man hath not where to lay His head'

5. Joe

Joe New Member

We don't have any donut shops here....

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure if you're being facetious or not but it's not about swapping wives for sex but to swap the wives into different homes (opposite of their lifestyle) and see what happens. So they'd match an athletic family and wife with a lazy kind of family (which they did). The first week the new wife has to live the way the other wife did so the lazy wife now had to get up at 4AM to exercise and only eat healthy food. The exercising wife had to sleep until 10 and eat donuts for breakfast. Then the second week, the wife gets to make new house rules and the family have to live by them. So now the lazy wife gets to make the healthy family a fat laden breakfast and make them watch TV all day while the exercising wife gets the lazy family's butts off the couch and start eating well and exercising. What usually happens is that the extremes are brought out and the families compromise a bit - the exercising family sees that it's OK to sit and watch a movie as a family with a bowl of popcorn and the lazy family sees it's fun to play a game of football with everyone and to ride bikes while eating something that's green like a salad or veggies. :)

So it's not about sex. Make sense?

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Let me clarify. He went to Matthew's home when Matthew did it. So the Bible is clearly against your position. Having a small apartment is one problem (but not insurmountable for people who are passionate about the gospel). Refusing to do it in supposed obedience to a command that doesn't exist is a much larger problem.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Of all the things I've heard you say that I disagree with, this has to be one of those that is the least like Jesus.

9. standingfirminChrist

Those that went to Jesus were seeking Truth. Scripture does not say Matthew invited those publicans and sinners to the house.

They may have been living in the house of Matthew and Matthew invited the Christ to teach them the truth he had received.

They may have come from elsewhere.

Fact is, Jesus did not invite them to Matthew's house as you have erroneously stated He did. Nor is it recorded that Matthew had invited them.

10. standingfirminChrist

Scripture says 'don't invite them into your house.'

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Doctrine in greek translation means "the teachings".

My unsaved friends do not bring false teachings into our home. They have class enough to know when to refrain from talking about certain subjects, and love me enough as to not attempt to weaken my faith.

They pray with us. I talk like a Christian, make decisions upon where to go, and what to do as to what the Bible teaches.

By default, through my speech and actions, they are being witnessed to.

Most tolerate it well, and on rare occasions, the majority will ask what the Bible says about this or that....

They do not bring any doctrine (teachings) into our home, so they are welcome.

#71 Joe, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  12. standingfirminChrist

John did not say 'if they bring not false teachings.' He said 'if they bring not this teaching don't invite them into your house.' John was not speaking of false teachings when he said if they bring not this teaching don't invite them into your house. If that is what he was saying, then that would mean just the opposite 'if they bring false doctrines, invite them in.'

No, John was saying 'if any bring not the teaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, don't invite them in.'

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Then you're no longer welcome for dinner. :thumbs:

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The name gives that expression. If I had never heard of the TV program, of which many have not, and someone said "our Pastor and his wife are swapping wives", I would think the worst and so does the world and Christians for that matter if they do not know the situation.

It does seem to have reached the point that our children will have to put the TV channel blocks on, to protect our parents, it seems to me. There is no good comes out of this, no matter what spin is put on it.

Just for example, when I first heard that a TV program was coming on about wife swapping, Sex it the first thing I wondered about, how about you???

I was being humorus though, but there really is nothing funny about it, come to think about it.

BBob,

#74 Brother Bob, Jul 11, 2008
  15. standingfirminChrist

is that your way of saying I don't carry the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?

shame on you.

I would have turned down the invitation anyway. I don't sit at a table where alcohol is served.

16. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Forget all the theological reasons against it, I just couldn't imagine being away from hubby or the kids for two weeks. :( I would miss them all terribly. Now, two weeks away from the kids but with hubby...we can talk about that! :laugh: I'd still miss the kids but I could sure handle missing them as long as hubby is with me! :laugh: :thumbs:

17. Joe

Joe New Member

2 John 1; 7-11 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we[a] do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.
    9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and bring not this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

You posted "Actually, the antichrist John spoke of in verse 8 don't bring that doctrine anyway. They bring a false doctrine."

Agreed. This helps with context. We are to be careful not to loose the things we worked hard for (salvation) Entertaining the Anti-Christ and/or a deceiver's false doctrine would be "abiding in their doctrine" as the verse says above. A willing and active participant of their false doctrine. Something an unsaved person would not participate in.

So....again, my unsaved friends bring no doctrine into my home thus they have no doctrine (teachings) to "abide in". No evil deeds to share in either.

#77 Joe, Jul 11, 2008
  18. Joe

Joe New Member

deleted post

#78 Joe, Jul 11, 2008
  19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You err, not knowing the Scripture:

Matthew 9:10 Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples.

Luke 5:29 And Levi gave a big reception for Him in his house; and there was a great crowd of tax collectors and other people who were reclining at the table with them.

Clearly, according to the Scripture, it was in Matthew's house, and it was tax collectors and sinners who were there reclining with Christ.

So you think Matthew was living with a bunch of tax collectors and sinners??? Come on ...

Obviously.

Yes, I corrected my statement to be more precise.

So you think a bunch of uninvited guests showed up at a reception?

This is not a battle you can win, SFIC. The Scripture is clear.

20. standingfirminChrist

Where does it say Matthew invited those people, PL?

Are you not adding to the Scripture to say they were invited by either Jesus or Matthew when Scripture does not say so?

It is possible he was living with those people. Scripture doesn't say one way or the other.

If they were friends who had been accustomed to meeting with Matthew/Levi before his becoming one of Christ's Disciples, they may have went to Matthew's often.

Scripture is not clear on when this dinner was. If Matthew invited Christ directly after his being called to be a Disciple, it is possible the publicans and sinners did not yet know of Matthew's new Master.

This is not a battle you can win, PL. The Scripture is clear.

Jesus was at a dinner, publicans and sinners showed up.

#80 standingfirminChrist, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.