1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wife Swap

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolding by me;

If you would like to further discuss the bolded part (accusation) or anything esle concerning what I didn't reply to feel free to PM me.

2. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I am so surprised...

that so many BB members watch TV let alone Wife Swap.:laugh: Iwould think most of our free time would be on this fine inspiring messageboard.
    By the way, I have never heard of this TV show or have I never watched it.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of us can multi task:type:

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the Pastor in that show rather blew it telling the unbelievers exactly what they wanted to hear with the “brainwash” comment. Fortunately, being familiar with hearing the popular brainwash argument; which comes from unbelievers that can’t understand faith while thinking they see contradictions in the Bible, that men wrote it, all religions have bibles and their view of a god, and etc…; I humbly would have known better than to use that expression and don’t even think of it that way. Written in my heart is the command: Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye “transformed” by the renewing of your mind,… and of course, this comes by the revelation of truths from within God’s Word.

FTW, (and I’m not saying that you were implying my comment about my daughter meant “brainwashed,” but on the subject…) to begin with from a personal experience, my washing came long after childhood as God guided me to see and understand the Truth so that argument would not hold at all from my perspective (not brainwashed as a child from parents, but rather from the “Lair”.) On the other hand, my children from a young age heard the truth, believed it, but also heard all about the ways of the world in which they are exposed to, which tried to brainwash them into having doubts, or into questioning how to justify what they see as the truth, but the truth always prevailed, and the Word of God always had the answers for me as a parent to give them guidance and strengthen their faith in the face of many tribulations. Thank God.

These tribulations have been hard on my children at times, but have resulted in nothing but strengthening their faith as the Word provided the answers they needed and so the transformation which renewed their minds allows them to prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God. Love that verse and use it often: (Romans 12:2)

My daughter has struggled deeply with the notion that she has never suffered enough (knowing that I came to God after much hardship) and sometimes tries to compare her faith and devotion to mine; thinking hers being “too easily come by” and she didn’t have that much changing to have to go through in comparison. But I have pointed out to her that in fact she has faced many hardships in trying to witness to others because of her deep love for the Truth, and faced these many struggles because of what is in her heart, and the pain that she feels about this can very well be compared to my hardships, only in a different way.

I also told both my children that I have been very blessed in God answering my prayers that my children did not have to face the same type hardships such as mine, but to not discount the persecutions and hardships they have faced from the “Liar” in this world that would love nothing more than to convince them to make more mistakes and to follow otherwise. It has served to make them strong. Anyway, enough rambling; I just wanted to point out that the “brainwashing argument” can be turned on it ear, and reversed onto the unbeliever's master.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Youve snubbed no one...Hahaha youve snubbed me on several occasions. I am not bragging about my ungodly life. I live my life for God, am I married no I am divorced, I am dating someone, am I wrong to get a chance at a new life, no I dont think so. I have been in the word and in prayer all weekend and the time is darkest right before the dawn so thats what I am hoping...that this is just one step before victory. If I am wrong then thats between me and God. God is right here with me through all of this. I have never seen his power as evident in my life as it was this weekend. I had an awesome time of prayer and fellowship with the Lord on my knees as well as in church yesterday. I am finally healing enough with the destruction of my marriage that I was able to pick up on one of my hobbies I had kinda left behind and thats baking. I made banana breads yesterday for my boss and my crew and made a strawberry shortcake for me and my son. Life is slowly coming back to normal and maybe in the next few weeks I can get back to my some of the things I used to do and enjoy besides baking like gardening, and cycling, and things I just kinda quit when my marriage died.

6. superwoman8977

:laugh:
    :laugh: Now thats the funniest thing I have heard all morning. I cannot believe some of the logic of people in here.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am sure there are some in the neighborhood Amy........:laugh:

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

RE Jesus eating with the sinners at Matthew's house - whether they were invited or just showed up, if it was sinful for Jesus to hang out with them wouldn't we have a verse about how Jesus got up and left?

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Be prepared for the insane logic to show how this doesn't mean we should do the same.

Just watch....it's coming....and it is crazy...

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

whatever.
    Does every thread have to be about your divorce, and dating?
    The bible says God does nto approve of divorce, yet you have accused Him over and over of doing evil.

11. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

So, yeah, the show was pretty good and junk.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

One of the things I've noticed on this board is that there are posters who love to pick out the sin in others while they themselves are guilty of sin as well. Gluttony, gossip, haughtiness, etc. These are sins too, yet we love to pick on the sins most obvious, and especially in others.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Those sins get covered frequently here too, all 3 have been covered this year. This just happens to be current.
    Everyone is guilty of sin, even you. We aren't to never discuss it and correct errors.

14. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I know that I am guilty of sin. The point I wish to make is that we all need to do a personal inventory and try see where we are lacking before we throw stones. Remove the beam from our own eye, then we will be able to see clearly to help others where they have fallen short.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

well, then, since we all sin, we should never be able to preach against sin, or say something is sin. No one could ever be confronted for their sinful lifestyle, because we have some kind of sin in some degree in our lives.

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

We shouldn't refrain from preaching against sin, but we should remove the plank from our eye before we try and remove the speck from our brother's eye.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

well, we will never be sin free till we're dead. I gues we'll have to wait till then to try and help a fellow christian. Under your thought, we have no right to tell anyone anything si sin, even the unsaved.

18. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

reply to readmore:

I said "I better do it" because you insinuated for us not to be quick to judge a show by its name. In other words, I should not judge "Wife Swap" and call it unGodly because of its name, I better watch it first and then draw my conclusion. Do you see why I said that now?

Inviting strangers into your home and confirming to their rules, teachings and beliefs is not unwholesome activity? Find scripture to backup your actions and where God would permit it.

It does not help your testimony when you're in favour of a show called "Wife Swap" because some Christians, as I and others, would not have anything to do with such a show and I would not even fellowship with you for agreeing with such. When you live a life for God, I do not believe you go around promoting a show to other Christians called "Wife Swap", and even if you THOUGHT about promoting such a show to me, you had better change the name because this Christian adheres to 1 Thessalonians 5:22, unlike others.

Number one, if my Christian friend wanted me to listen to a song called such, I would ask what is it about. Also keep in my I do not have friends that would go against the commandments of God and do things that are worldly, and I also do not have friends that would give something wonderful (as a lost person getting saved) a name such as "Wild Friday Night" because there would be nothing "wild" about that. Second, a Christian song would not be named such because a Christian adheres to all scripture, and 1 Thessalonians 5:22 would not permit such. Third, I would not street preach at night time. Fourth, why would a Christian name the song "Wild Friday Night" if the main point of the song was to show how people got saved during a street preaching event? The topic would be about the saved, not all the demonic people that mocked God. You give GOD the glory, not them! And finally, to this day in such an unGodly world, I have never heard of a song given such a deceiving name portrays the truth about God. Remember that God is not the author of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33) and giving a Christian song a name that is a name for something evil and demonic in the world today would be miXing truth and error, and we know they do not mix.

So I must get drunk before I condemn it? And who is one to say that I did not research about the show? (or "hear" about it?) And there is a difference in trying something and hearing something, friend... Get that clear! "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me". (Psalm 101:3)

19. superwoman8977

Thank you so much because I totally agree. I wonder as I read through these posts how perfect people in here really think they are. The other thing I wonder is what would happen to them if they really had something earth-shattering happen to them as a spouse cheating on them or a child dying or something that would shake their faith so hard they could run to or from the cross. What would they do? Makes you wonder?

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Been there, done that. Ran to God. Ask some of those ladies in the private firum, it's been a couple of years, so not of them were here.
    The bible tells us what sin is, and we are not to hide it and pretend we do not see it. Paul told the Corinthians they were supose to judge the man who was having s*x with his fathers wife. Was Paul perfect, or did he think he was perfect, did he think the other Corinthians were perfect.
    no.
    this line of thinking is not biblical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.