1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wild youth

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Apr 26, 2007.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

What does your church do with youth or kids that constantly cause trouble even after being warned or talked to.
    Just wondering what some other churchs do, as I used to be a youth pastor and now as a pastor I must be losing patience at my old age.

2. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Lead them to Christ. If God lives within them, they would not want to act like that.

3. Servent

Servent Member

1st Pray, which Im sure you have already done.
    2nd talk to there parents if there not members go to there home.
    Last if they continue to disrupt to the point others are not learning ask them not to come back, I know its a hard thing to do but if there disrupting others their doing Satan's work.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

Thanks Jensen for the reply.
    Definitely, thats #1 priority.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OP,

What do you mean by "cause trouble"?

6. Jensen

Jensen New Member

steveo,
    I hope leading them to Christ is the top priority for all youth ministries (however, some seem more interested in play than gospel). I also, believe that parental contact is important. This may or may not help, as many probably have little discipline from their parents anyway. But to me this would be the first step (after prayer).

7. patrick

patrick New Member

That is dangerous and somehting I could never do. They might not ever hear the Gospel is that is done. I could not have those students blood on my hand. I am a student minister, talk to them and just let them know what they need to do and they will do it. Don't talk back to them but let them know you really care and most of the time they will respond.

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Teach their parents not to spare the rod.

9. Servent

Servent Member

This is a last resort if it is to the point others are not learning, only one time have I asked a student not to come back and he came to me a few days later and apologized.

10. patrick

patrick New Member

I have done student ministry a lot of years, I couldn't do it. I have had to put a student with an adult. I have had trouble makers. Students want to feel like they belong. Give them ownership in the ministry. Let them hand out study guides. Teach them how to do your powerpoint but kicking them out. That is telling a student he is not welcomed in God's house. That is pretty hardcore.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I've noticed that this is usually the case when kids are acting out. They want acceptance, and often they think that being a clown or disruptive or whatever is the way. When you kick them out, they realize that they've made a mess and want to fix it.

It's the same on the school bus. For the most part, when you kick kids off for things such as that, they become well-behaved because they make it a point to do so. There is one girl that got kicked out of school for 30 days because she was caught smoking pot. All the other drivers treat her like a trouble-maker, and on their buses, she is. However, she's the perfect kid on my bus, and remains so, because I do try to help her and I treat her like a person. She wants that acceptance.

On a related note, I was reading some psychology articles the other day, and the zero-tolerance junk is causing a lot of harm to our kids. The kids who get suspended for 30 days because they went camping and left a steak knife in the trunk of their car often starts misbehaving because the attitude becomes, "If I get suspended for that, why should I behave?" While others, who want to get kicked out of school are coddled.