1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will a Christian commit certain sins?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Benz, since you think anyone (even a child of God) is capable of any sin, that means that you are also capable of any sin. You are saying that you are capable of molesting your own child. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that is a fact if what you think is true. Now, I don't think you're capable of that if you have been born again by the Spirit of God.
    It's really easy to say "yes, we all sin" when the "sin" we're talking about is gossip or anger or saying something mean to your wife, but when you get down to the really horrible sins like molesting your own child, I don't think the "well, everybody sins" argument holds up.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bob OBVIOUSLY this does not mean what you think it means. This doesn't say that a Christian can't commit certain sins. This says that whosoever is born of God can not sin period. Any sin. Now Bob you are going to tell me that since you were saved you have not committed another single solitary sin?

Now I think we both know the answer to that question is no. You and I both sin each and every day. So again OBVIOUSLY that doesn't mean that people don't sin any more after they are saved.

You've got to either take it all or none of it. You can't say well a Christian won't committ certain sins and then use this as your proof, because that's not what the text says.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

But Amy you are using your own logic. You say the "really horrible sins." Well were does it say that there are certain sins that are really horrible that a Christian can not committ. And then show me in Scripture where it says that your sin nature that is responsible for that set of sins was completely destroyed while the "other" portion of your sin nature was allowed to continue on.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I take it all J. Jump; Its talking to that which is born of God, which He said I will remove the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. Guess what? he did not give me a bad one but a good one. The scripture also is talking to that which is born of an incorruptle seed. Now, who is it talking too. Well as Paul said, I delight after the Law of the inward man, for in this flesh dwelleth no good thing. It is talking about that part of a man that is born again and cannot sin. If you or anyone else don't understand the concept of the inner man and the outward man, then you can never understand. The Bible says also that the creature itself, (flesh) shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption unto the glorious liberties of the children of God.

So, It is the inward part that is born again, where the mind of Christ is and where the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is. The flesh can and does still sin, but can he sin unto death, No! because if you live after the carnal mind you shall die, but we are of them who walketh after the Spirit. We are back to God saying "My Grace is sufficient to keep thee". We sin, but not a sin unto death.
    Where is the list? in that heart He gave you.

There are several lists and you all even deny them, but there is a list in your heart that you know if you commit such acts you will go to Hell.
    The most important scripture of all is that Jesus told us there is a sin that is not unto death. He told us right there that there is a difference in sin. He also said, there is a sin unto death.

#104 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not

J., what does this verse mean?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you capable of molesting your son? I don't think so.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

HBSMN it seems you have selective reading. I address this nonsense earlier. Yes it is possible for a Christian to sin. That's why we have an Advocate before the Father. No it is not okay for a Christian to sin. It's not okay to gossip, it's not okay to lie, it's not okay to cheat on your taxes, it's not okay to steal, it's not okay to murder, it's not okay to commit homosexual acts, it's not okay to murder, it's not okay to commit adultery, it's not okay to even lust after a man/woman in your heart. It's not okay to commit ANY sin.

But just because we are not supposed to sin, doesn't mean we won't sin. And when we do sin we have an Adovcate before the Father and because of His blood on the mercy seat if we will confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.

If a Christian committs any sin there are consequences, so this bologna that you and Bro. Bob and some others throw out there that say we are giving people a license to sin or saying that it's okay to sin it total nonsense.

Your doctrine is not Biblical. You can't prove it. And because you can't you start throwing out silly statements like this that no one has ever even stated much less beleive.

If you believe so much that your doctrine is correct then just provide the Scripture evidence. That's all you need to do, but you haven't to date, because the I John text certainly doesn't prove your point. As a matter of fact it makes your doctrine look rather silly.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sorry J. Jump;
    You are the one who does not answer the scriptures. We have given plenty and for every thing you and the other throw out there we have answered with solid scriptures. You didn't even answer Amy on the last one " whosoever is born of God cannot sin". She asked what does it mean?
    I went into length and detail to answer it for you but you give nothing, zero.

Amy ask you a hard question but brings it all to a head. Are you cabable of molesting your own son, you say Christians are capable of any sin? She didn't say would you, she asked if you were capable of it. I sure can answer that real easy.

#108 Brother Bob, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bro. Bob you contradict yourself in your own post. You said that Jesus said there is "a" sin unto death, but you have a "list" of sins that a Christian can not committ or they are going to hell. So is it "a" sin or is it a "list" of sins Bro. Bob.

And so you can not give any indication in Scripture of the list, so you have to say the list is in your heart. Wow . . . Bro. Bob I don't have that list in my heart, so now are you saying I'm not a Christian even though I believe Jesus died in my place on the cross of Calvary because I am a sinner?

And Bro. Bob since you said you take it all that I'm going to take it that you have never committed a single sin since you were save? Oh wait you just admitted that you did. But Bro. Bob that says that "no" sin will be committed.

See what happens when you are forced to defend a man-made doctrine, you end up all over the place and eventually it just all starts to crumble around itself.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Sorry I'm not as fast a typest as you would like for me to be Bro. Bob. I'll try to work on that :type:

11. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's just laughable. I just sat there and ran through your I John text and showed you why it doesn't mean what you say and yet you still hold onto your man-made doctrine.

I John says does not commmit ANY sin Bro. Bob. There is nothing there about a list of "horrible" sins like you have Amy believing. You either have to say your are all together sinless or that verse doesn't mean what you think it means.

You have already said that you committ sins so right there you contradict yourself. Either you can committ sin or you can't. That says you can't committ sin. So which is it Bro. Bob? Can you committ sin or not?

Again if there is a list of sins that a Christian can not committ please provide the chapter and verses that says here is the list of sins that a Christian can not committ. And then please show me the passage of Scripture that says that that portion of the sin nature that is responsible for committing your "list" of sins has been completely done away with and the other part of the sin nature that is responsible for all the "other" sins is still in tact.

If your doctrine is correct then there shouldn't be a problem in providing these two evidences.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

For a list of 'really horrible sins' check out Proverbs 6:16 - 19.

Solomon calls them abominations.

John said those that work abominations will not enter the Kingdom of God.

A Child of God cannot commit abominable acts.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well while I appreciate your vote of confidence, and while I pray that never happens or anything even remotely close happens that is still a possibility, because I still have the same sin nature in me that was in me before I got saved.

If I was capable of it before I was saved I am certainly capable of it now.

Again if there are certain sins that I am incapable of committing there must be some Scriptural evidence that says that portion of my sin nature that is responsbile for "those" sins has been totally destroyed and the "other' portion of my sin nature has been allowed to remain.

Can you please provide this evidence for me?

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I can see right now you have no idea about what is born again of an incorruptile seed so you can't answer. God own word says you cannot sin and you are saying He is wrong. Glad its you and not me.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1 Corth.
    9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans, chapter 8
    1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans :9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Heb. 10:
    26: For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
    27: But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
    28: He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
    29: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
    30: For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    31: It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well let me ask you the same question I asked Bro. Bob. Do you commit sin? If your answer is yes then by your own understanding you have made a liar out of this Scripture. You either have to take all of it or none of it, because this text doesn't say whosoever is born of God can not commit this sin or that sin or this sin or that sin, it says SINNETH NOT - NOT AT ALL - NO SINS.

Bro. Bob was on the right track, but took a destructive side route somewhere. But it is that which has been saved that can not sin. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. It is your spirit that can not sin, because it is born again of God.

Your sin nature remains very well intact. And Scripture says that it has been crucified with Christ. We have been buried and raised again to walk in a new life. That new life is to be lived by the Spirit. If we are living by the Spirit we are walking in the Spirit. And if we are walking in the Spirit our sin nature is crucified and we are not sinning.

However when we walk after the flesh and not after the Spirit it is the flesh that is ruling and the old sin nature is alive and well and capable of anything.

Walking after the Spirit is not automatic. It is a moment-by-moment decision to deny self and walk in the Spirit.

Hope that helps.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well I see more non-proof you call proof.

You take Scripture and compare Scripture to Scripture and then draw your "own" conclusions.

John said those that work abominations will not enter the kingdom of God. He didn't say a child of God cannot commit abominable acts. That is "your" conclusion not Scripture.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Romans, chapter 8
    1: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2: For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    6: For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    7: Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    8: So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Just the word of God, what you going to do with it?

1 Corth.
    9: Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

How come we not washed and sanctified as they were in Corth.?

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

Paul's writings in 1 Corinthians 6 should be enough evidence. 'And such were some of you...'

Were is past tense, not future. They were no longer the abominable creatures they were prior to Salvation.

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bro. Bob why do you make such statements that make you look silly. Here you say God's own word says you can not sin. Yet just a page back you say you sin.

You can't even stay on the same page yourself, yet you want people to believe you when you aren't even consistent yourself.

By the way I like how you have dodged yet again the Scripture that I have asked for. I see that you posted some "lists" so I will take a look at that, but nothing yet about how part of the sin nature is completely destroyed and yet another part that has been left. Wonder why that Scripture doesn't exist Bro. Bob?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.